It seems as the DR is preparing for war?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
When you cut down all the trees to burn them as a fuel source to cook the almost non-existent food supply, you eliminate the watershed provided by those trees. The rains then run off instead of being held in the watershed. If you have no viable sanitation systems, the remaining water is polluted and causes sickness. It is a very bad situation. I have new neighbors that recently spent almost 6 years trying to help in Haiti. They see a completely and totally hopeless situation there. A lost cause with zero hope of recovery. This is of tremendous concern to the DR since the DR cannot handle more Haitian refugees and there are up to 11 million of them in Haiti. And Haiti will only get worse and worse over time.

https://thewaterproject.org/water-crisis/water-in-crisis-haiti

They was offered land for relocation a couple years ago, I believe from the brother country of Uganda...

This would be a help for Haiti and DR.

JJ

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
"The newspaper Le Nouvelliste, in its edition of this Thursday, also praises the Dominican Armed Forces, in an article entitled: "What Armada do we have in front of us in the Dominican Republic?"

He says that the Dominican Armed Forces acted quickly to avoid a bloodbath and that they tactfully managed to appease the heated spirits of the inhabitants of Pedernales, who wanted to take it on against the Haitians.

He warns, however, that the Armed Forces of Haiti can not be reconstructed using as a pretext a possible confrontation because the Dominican military power is too evident and because there are no possibilities of war confrontation."

http://almomento.net/haiti-elogia-actuacion-de-ministro-de-defensa-de-la-rep-dominicana/

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They was offered land for relocation a couple years ago, I believe from the brother country of Uganda...

This would be a help for Haiti and DR.

JJ
Not a single Haitian took up the offer. lol

That was done a few months after the earthquake hit in 2010. It was Senegal, not Uganda, that offered free land to the Haitians.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Pop CB always taught "If bullspit is tolerated, lies become truth."

Confrontation is never a healthy approach to solve anything, it rather sparks/trigger nasty emotion in most instances.

But this isn't the platform to discuss personal behaviors, this is about 240,000 Dominicans getting out of poverty every year, so does the government claims, if you could add to this it'll be great; you mentioned being an economist?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Confrontation is never a healthy approach to solve anything, it rather sparks/trigger nasty emotion in most instances.

But this isn't the platform to discuss personal behaviors, this is about 240,000 Dominicans getting out of poverty every year, so does the government claims, if you could add to this it'll be great; you mentioned being an economist?
Surrender noted.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
" PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - Haitian President Jovenel Moise today sworn in the military high command of the newly-formed armed forces, some of whom were previously accused of violating human rights.

From today, Brigadier General Sadrac Saintil is officially the Chief of Staff; appointment that adds to the one of the colonels Jonas Jean (inspector general), Jean Robert Gabriel (chief of Cabinet), Derby Guerrier (Deputy Head of Personnel), Joseph Jacques Thomas (secretary of the General Staff) and Fontane Beaubien (member of the personnel of the commander in chief).

Moise, in charge since February 2017, said that today "is a historic day for the country" and noted that "the task ahead is overwhelming."

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/03/...menta-a-alto-mando-de-nuevas-fuerzas-armadas/

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The US Coast Guard is assisting the Frontier patrols with its helicopters Deployed out of Puerto Plata... Saw them myself. Friends in the Military Intelligence confirmed the deployment.

I thought this post was about " is RD preparing for war'' not 250,000 Dominicans out of poverty''.... sorry, my mistake.Russell

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....just returned from the Dominican countryside, a place called La gorra near Partido about 20 minutes from the Haiti border...I was surprised at the number of haitians in the area, I was last there one and a half years ago...the amount of haitians seems to have increased about 100%, they are everywhere, the large cattle ranches are giving them jobs...yesterday morning the Dominican mi;itary was trying to round up the haitians and with the accompanying gunfire, it was quite a show...does anyone here live in that area?........Doc.......

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Thank god that we've got the Dominican special forces to protect us here. BTW, here in Sosua there are so many retired English and American sniper/commando/paratroopers/navy seals/secret fkn agents..........we'll be alright, so I've been told.

Be careful Joe, I hear that the Haitian girls in Sosua have been sent in undercover (or is that under covers) as a ploy to lull the gringo men into a sense of over confidence (or is that the little blue pills doing that?). They have been known to use the tactic of "teaming up" against gringos, getting on top of the situation until they suck the energy out of you and then relieve you of all your resources and ability to defend yourself.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Read (somewhere) the other day, that Haiti just swore in it's top echelon brass for the new military. Some of whom have been accused of past human rights violations. True to form, Haiti's priorities are still way out of whack. Don't they realize that no one is going to invade that country? Being invaded would probably be the best possible scenario for that beleaguered country.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Read (somewhere) the other day, that Haiti just swore in it's top echelon brass for the new military. Some of whom have been accused of past human rights violations. True to form, Haiti's priorities are still way out of whack. Don't they realize that no one is going to invade that country? Being invaded would probably be the best possible scenario for that beleaguered country.

Haitian Gov and the Military have an uneasy history. I hope they devout a lot of resources in this direction. Concentrate on people and infrastructure. What are they defending? Keeping out citizens being deported by the DR?

suavena

Jan 27, 2009
Please set the example, you are a moderator.

Do not hijack the thread, this is about the military deployment to the borders and the consequences of a possible/imminent conflict in the very near future between the DR and Haiti.

This isn't personal, do not make it that way. Thanks

BTW, not since 1937 the amount of military movement and firepower has ever being push forward by the DR towards the border. We know what happened back then.

We lost over 5,000k including Hincha in 1939, birthplace of Pedro Santana because of the same encroachment by Haitian national since 1801. Peacefully they went into our national territory and became more than us in those area and we lost it. Trujillo dealt with the same Haitian national coming into DR stealing, killing, taking over border town the same way Trujillo dealt with the Dominican population.

Haitian national were not the only one to be subjugated by Trujillo rughless tactic. Trujillo and Balaguer border plan probably are only prolonging our slow death in the killing of our culture. That imaginary line stood for almost 60 years. Now days with 40% of DR health budget going to Haitian national, it is only matter of time.

This is Trujillo speech to Dominicans "If I has blood in my hand it was to save our Dominicanidad for your generation. Within 50 years of this peaceful invasion it mean that Haitian will be able to elect Dominican they could do as they please and send Duarte and the Trinitarios to the garbage can. Erased our history and deny our ideals that mean nothing to Haiti. Haiti believe that this side of the island belong to them, they perceive us as peaceful, docile that never invaded their country. A short time ago they were stealing and killing at their will like if they were animal and there is no law in this country. Now they had learnt that there is authority and law in our land. Young Dominican when I leave the political scene maintain my border program that I installed having said that extend your hand to the most needed give them (Haitian) a place like we did in handing them Hincha but do not let them invade your homeland and always remember the sacrosanct word of Duarte: God Homeland and Liberty. (Dios Patria y Libertad)"

Dijo el tirano, citamos: “Jóvenes dominicanos, en esa gente no se puede confiar, cuiden de su país y con más ahínco después de mi desaparición del escenario político nacional. Traten de preservar los programas de dominización fronteriza que yo he creado y ciertamente extiéndale la mano al necesitado”.

También dijo: “Concédanle incluso un rincón para vivir como ya hicimos, pero no dejen que les invadan sus casas ni sus haciendas ni su Patria y mucho menos que se las arrebaten con argucias o con fuerzas. Dentro de 50 años, la ocupación pacífica del territorio nacional por parte de Haití significa para ustedes, que los haitianos podrán elegir autoridades dominicanas, poner, disponer y podrán mandar a Duarte y los Trinitarios al zafacón de la historia, en consecuencia anular para siempre sus ideales”.

Por siempre hemos condenado las atrocidades de Trujillo y quienes alimentaron esa Era de Terror, pero si revisamos sin apasionamiento y sin rencores el contenido de esta carta de 1939, en la actualidad nos convoca a todos a defender nuestra nacionalidad, no solo del Imperialismo Yanquis, como lo hicimos en el 1965.

Si por blandiría del gobierno del PLD, perdemos nuestra nacionalidad, desde su tumba Duarte ha de maldecirlo mil veces.

¡¡¡(Dios, Patria y Libertad!!!

http://www.eljaya.com/index.php/opinion/19013-la-carta-del-general-leonida-trujillo-molina

Last edited:

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
1. PN are low-paid and easily influenced by $ so relatively ineffective at stopping migration.
2. Army are low-paid but perhaps under more strict control from officers, so slightly less influenced by $. 3. Dominican work ethic is such that great effort can be expended in a short burst, but steady average work is of a somewhat lethargic magnitude - it would actually TAKE a large force to make even cursory surveillance of the border area. 4. imho

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Wow! This is a hot topic.
A lot based upon past history , present situations and economics, with a sketchy future!
Some fact some fiction; but, all informative.
Regardless, there is a crisis in the air !

Quite possible that within the next decade there will be a real sh*t storm coming our way.
Poverty, lack of potable water,hunger, despair,disease,corruption,anarchy,hopelessness, prejudices,greed; and the grass is greener on the other side.
This is not a hypothesis, but facts ; please do not ask me to verify the comments.... it takes only a quick assessment to figure it all out.
The only thing worse than Papa Doc Dictatorship would be a 'Corrupt Democracy' ... seems that is already in the works.
A disputed border is the last ingredient to fire up the passions and patriotism on both sides of the border.
Now the Chinese and Koreans are investing in both countries ..... and they are patient cultures.
At this point, in my opinion, for what it is worth : the refugee camps are next... Global interference will just make things worse
unless it is from France or the Francophone Countries coalition (or whatever) which Haiti is a Member could kick in and provide a better form of Governance and economic development plans. However that could also involve Canada which is a very strong Francophone player.
The United Nations is deployed in Haiti, but have little effect on the border migration situation.
I am not a conspirator theorist ; but I feel in my bones that there is something very dark and evil within a Hidden Agenda growing here..... It will be interesting to take the time to study the goings on and pay close attention to current Border affairs..
Just my personal feelings and opinion.
Good provocative and interesting Jason.
Russell

May 5, 2007
A lot based upon past history , present situations and economics, with a sketchy future!

Quite possible that within the next decade there will be a real sh*t storm coming our way.
Poverty, lack of potable water,hunger, despair,disease,corruption,anarchy,hopelessness, prejudices,greed; and the grass is greener on the other side.
This is not a hypothesis, but facts ; please do not ask me to verify the comments.... it takes only a quick assessment to figure it all out.
The only thing worse than Papa Doc Dictatorship would be a 'Corrupt Democracy' ... seems that is already in the works.
A disputed border is the last ingredient to fire up the passions and patriotism on both sides of the border.
Now the Chinese and Koreans are investing in both countries ..... and they are patient cultures.
At this point, in my opinion, for what it is worth : the refugee camps are next... Global interference will just make things worse
unless it is from France or the Francophone Countries coalition (or whatever) which Haiti is a Member could kick in and provide a better form of Governance and economic development plans. However that could also involve Canada which is a very strong Francophone player.
The United Nations is deployed in Haiti, but have little effect on the border migration situation.
I am not a conspirator theorist ; but I feel in my bones that there is something very dark and evil within a Hidden Agenda growing here..... It will be interest and ing to take the time to study the goings on and pay close attention to current Border affairs..
Russell
Great post In my more simplistic mind, I think of the many times flying into Santiago and overflying Haiti (Unlike most airliners I would take direct route) with the obvious "browning" of the country thinking "At some point, these people (Haitians) are going to run completely out of resources and head east en mass, there are a lot of people in Haiti

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

I am not a conspirator theorist ; but I feel in my bones that there is something very dark and evil within a Hidden Agenda growing here..... It will be interesting to take the time to study the goings on and pay close attention to current Border affairs..
Russell

Exactly the point am trying to convey with the subject.