Italy bans air arrivals from the DR; American and United resume commercial flights

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Aeropuerto-Fiumicino-Wikipedia-e1594392459979.jpg

Italian Health Minister Roberto Speranza announced today the Dominican Republic is included in a list of 13 countries at risk for the coronavirus pandemic. On the list are five Latin American countries: Brazil, Peru, Chile, Panama and the Dominican Republic. Others on the list are: Armenia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bosnia Herzegovina, Kuwait, Northern Macedonia, Moldova and Oman.

The ordinance provides bans entry into or transit through Italy of persons who have been or have passed through the above-mentioned countries in the past fourteen days. To guarantee this provision, direct and indirect flights from and to these states are suspended.

Meanwhile, American Airlines and United Airlines have restarted their flights to the Dominican Republic. JetBlue continues to be the leading carrier to the country.

The first official case of the virus in the Dominican...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Not for nothing but who would want to visit Italy in these times...italy = ground zero with terrible medical

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't worry ---- you not allowed to visit !!

Bad company the DR is keeping - that list of countries.....

Black Listed -- Black Knight !!

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
They didnt list the USA. Thats interesting.
Only people traveling to Italy from the US for "proven work, urgent health needs, or to return to your place of residence" will be allowed into the country, and they must self-isolate for two weeks after arrival, according to the US Embassy in Italy.Jun 21, 2020

Reactions: Andre14615

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here is an an article in Hoy Digital.

The goal should be not to get on any country’s ban list because of COVID-19.

I still think the DR is in a position to not let the spread get out of control but it depends on the country’s leadership (step one) to try to prevent that from happening.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Here is an an article in Hoy Digital.

The goal should be not to get on any country’s ban list because of COVID-19.

I still think the DR is in a position to not let the spread get out of control but it depends on the country’s leadership (step one) to try to prevent that from happening.
YES! Leadership + measures.
Not enough to sign a decreto. The cops must enforce it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
YES! Leadership + measures.
Not enough to sign a decreto. The cops must enforce it.

Leadership and goals have proven to be successful in reducing the number of new cases meaning control of the spread. Until this virus is controlled by a vaccine or miraculously disappears every country needs to put protocol and measures in place. Cities and countries that have had success in bringing down the numbers enforced the guidelines- physical distancing, wearing masks and washing your hands. If done by the majority of the population it takes about 3 to 3.5 months to flatten the curve and then it is about keeping the curve flat.

In DR and many similar countries population and culture wise it is going to be a challenge. The police in the DR don’t get anything out of enforcing physical distancing rules. They can’t even enforce existing rules and now COVID-19. Por favor.

The task is daunting but if it gets out of control which is foreseeable good luck República Dominicana. All you have to do is look at other Latin countries- Brazil, Chile, Peru and you understand why this situation is serious if this new government does not act fast. Let’s see if Abinader can do what Medina’s government did not.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Leadership and goals have proven to be successful in reducing the number of new cases meaning control of the spread. Until this virus is controlled by a vaccine or miraculously disappears every country needs to put protocol and measures in place. Cities and countries that have had success in bringing down the numbers enforced the guidelines- physical distancing, wearing masks and washing your hands. If done by the majority of the population it takes about 3 to 3.5 months to flatten the curve and then it is about keeping the curve flat.

In DR and many similar countries population and culture wise it is going to be a challenge. The police in the DR don’t get anything out of enforcing physical distancing rules. They can’t even enforce existing rules and now COVID-19. Por favor.

The task is daunting but if it gets out of control which is foreseeable good luck República Dominicana. All you have to do is look at other Latin countries- Brazil, Chile, Peru and you understand why this situation is serious if this new government does not act fast. Let’s see if Abinader can do what Medina’s government did not.
The virus+elections is a deadly mixture. Abinader may have the best intentions on the planet, but his first months will be controlling factions haggling over diplomatic posts and the most juicy goverment jobs. That's #1, virus can wait.

As you say, the police can’t even enforce existing rules. I suggest emergency law, where the cop would get, say, 30%, of the fine. I realize some cases of abuse may happen (was it 2 meters or 1.80) but let's leave aside the human rights crap at the moment. The situation is too serious for that.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
The virus+elections is a deadly mixture. Abinader may have the best intentions on the planet, but his first months will be controlling factions haggling over diplomatic posts and the most juicy goverment jobs. That's #1, virus can wait.

As you say, the police can’t even enforce existing rules. I suggest emergency law, where the cop would get, say, 30%, of the fine. I realize some cases of abuse may happen (was it 2 meters or 1.80) but let's leave aside the human rights crap at the moment. The situation is too serious for that.

Yes, let’s see what happens. I think the DR is at a critical point right now. The world has been dealing with COVID for the past four months and for the most part the numbers in each country tell the story about the management starting from government leadership to the healthcare capacity. Countries that have had leadership have better numbers today. Those that have not had leadership have either lost control of the spread and it is out of control or are about to.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sadly I think it’s going to be to late for DR , doors are open 3 -4 weeks from now DR will be scratching there heads now what...

Reactions: Harleysrock

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Sadly I think it’s going to be to late for DR , doors are open 3 -4 weeks from now DR will be scratching there heads now what...
I can easily see the DR closing borders again. Tourism did not really take off again. Better to wait until November where flights from Europe are scheduled.