Its finally happenned

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hi Mauricio

I think once you have experienced life as a couple in the Dominican Republic you will probably find it difficult to replicate that feeling in your own country. We lived together in the UK for 13 years and I can honestly say that for the vast majority of that time we pined for the Dominican life. The problem is that after the 13 years here we have got used to the British way of life and the way problems can be handled in a logical and controlled manner. So now that my wife has plunged head first back into her Dominican culture the shock of dealing with what would normally be manageable day to day problems have left her spinning with confusion and a sense of losing control.

I would beg you not to follow my example of going back to the DR seperately as we are doing now, I don't imagine for one moment that you would need to do it that way anyway, but our decision to do it like this was based on financial constraints which had we left it for another year or two would probably have been taken care of. As a result we are comitted along a path which we are both finding incredibly stressful and under such circumstances small problems will inevitably seem much harder to deal with than would be the norm.

So, get youself back to the DR as I'm sure you have realised that, that is where your heart is. Do it together and you will be fine.

I know that England and the Dominican Republic are like chalk and cheese in so many respects, but if the 'heart' is happier in one place rather than another that is the key. I know that when I get out there with them eventually I will be happy no matter what we have to put up with,. I think the mistake we have made is trying to clone our UK status into our Dominican status, it will never happen unless the lottery intervenes.

I was never happier than when we lived together in Puerto Plata when we had a one roomed apartment with shared toilet and shower. I know it was all romantic, and lovey dovey, but I don't need the luxury lifestyle that we are aimimg to set up for ourselves now. I think we lost sight basically of what we wanted from the Dominican Republic and assumed that we would slip into a parrallel lifestyle on a financial level and be happy with that. I would prefer to live a more basic existence over there and perhaps that is what I am afraid will not come to pass.

Anyway, we'll see, as I keep saying to everyone, it's early days and we should have expected this massive culture shock to be waiting for us.

I'll try to keep everyone posted on the progress we are making but I don't want to use the board as my public problem airing forum.

I'm sure we'll meet up in the future, I've got a feeling. Make sure you keep up to date with DR1 as it is a wonderful point of contact for people like us who long to live there.

All the best Paul

Paul,

I can imagine after 13 years, even your wife has a hard time getting used to her country again. Myself after one and a half year being back in Holland and coming back to Santo Domingo for a family visit was shocked by the traffic and noise in the streets...just forgot about that and got used to the quiet town we live in here. However, couldn't agree with you more that we should be where our heart is.

It would be nice to meet some time in the future.

Mauricio