It's Worse Than I Thought!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am somewhat surprised that nowhere in this thread has there been any mention of the basic reason why education is not progressing as it should and that is the money the parents don't have. I have seen no sign of Medina's 4% being spent on the base impediments. The insistence on school uniforms and children having to supply their own books even when the parents are desperately poor. We have a very near neighbour whose 7 year old gets to school, if she's lucky, a couple of afternoons a week where happily they don't insist on uniforms, frequently she doesn't get to school because she hasn’t even got a pencil. Yes we are trying to help in an unobtrusive way, she comes round ostensibly to play with our daughter of a similar age. We supply her with pencils and a Dominican calligraphy book and she asks if we can do some letters with her, she's learning and can now write legibly the first two letters of her name. She enjoys the stories read to her and our daughter which is increasing her vocabulary. That her family cannot afford anything much, she frequently eats with us as she has had either nothing or only a bowl of rice with no extra protein at home.

i am the first person to attribute certain maladies to a lack of money, but we also have to look at a culture that does not place too much stock in education. we were all told in our youth that if we work hard, and study hard, we will make progress in life. well, this might be so in very many countries, but not so in the DR. this is a country in which success and progress are, by and large, reserved for people with hyphenated surnames, and family connections. the average guy looks in from the outside. this is not Abe Lincoln country; this is a land where you can go to university for half your life, and if you have no contacts, you might be lucky to get a job as animation director in some all inclusive hotel. look at any poor person here today; in the preponderant majority of cases, their parents are poor, and they are going to be poor, and so will their kids. it is all a part of Thunderpants's posting about learned helplessness, and fatalism. if you see people who have succeeded by hard work at school, you will emulate it. if your niece is unemployed, and has a college degree, why send your kid to school, when the son of the mayor is a dropout, but is driving an Audi Q7? it is fatalism, plain and simple.

Si Dios Quiere...

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
That is because in the DR, unlike in the US, the students are given a pass or fail Final at the end of the semester and that is the only thing that will determine if you fail or not. In the US students are placed in grades based on age or given a D and passed to the next grade just on attendance alone. I have seen people in the US that even ask themselves how they were able to get their high school diplomas. Also, all the accommodations that are given in the US to challenged students are non-existent in the DR. That is why you read places like Chicago where more than 78% of the 8th graders can't even read proficiently enough. Still, 75% completion is a much better number than Texas 96-98 where the 8th grade completion wasn't even 20% of all students.

U.S. Department of Education: 79% of Chicago 8th Graders Not Proficient in Reading | CNS News
http://www.houstonendowment.org/Assets/PublicWebsite/Documents/News/measureofsuccess.pdf

Mississippi, Alabama, South and North Carolina have literacy rates that are close to or equal that of the Dominican Republics.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe, Just Maybe, if the parents would spend the money on their children's education, and NOT on "Celulars", Ron Y Cervesa", "Teni Nike", Ropa de moda, and "El Salon", and the time they waste playing "Domino", y "Haciendo Coro" with their friends,reading with their children, things would get better!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"jailien", and your "POINT" is???????

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Maybe, Just Maybe, if the parents would spend the money on their children's education, and NOT on "Celulars", Ron Y Cervesa", "Teni Nike", Ropa de moda, and "El Salon", and the time they waste playing "Domino", y "Haciendo Coro" with their friends,reading with their children, things would get better!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"jailien", and your "POINT" is???????

The point is lack of education isn't intrinsic to a certain geographical location or race or ethnicity. It has to do with a lot of other issues that you do not seem able to comprehend such as economic status, availability of quality education, generational issues and a host of other issues that neither race, gender, ethnicity, or location has to do with. For the most part, many groups of Africans are more educated than their European or American counterparts, even with their being a dearth of opportunities.

You have this propensity to lump everything and everyone into racial categories and laud your alleged "superiority" over them as if your skin makes you capable of judging and your life and your own education places you above those you judge. Neither is true. On a personal level, most of what you type shows a lack of a complete education and a lack of comprehension of other races, cultures and geographies. Prejudice and bias comes from a lack of education, not from education. It's a proven fact that the least educated are the more likely to have bias issues towards other races and ethnicities.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The point is lack of education isn't intrinsic to a certain geographical location or race or ethnicity.

this is NOT the point. the point is that we are in DR, talking about DR and this is dr1. it may be relevant to point how other countries tackled the problem and what can be done to fix it but it brings nothing to the discussion to say that it's just as bad elsewhere.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"jaiallen" you should not post here on "DR1", try,..."Nobody Gives A $HIT1"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Yeah, those "Africans" are "Educated".
At killing & eating each other!

Haven't heard much about their "Space Program " lately?????
"WTF"?????

AND, I happen to be an "AA"!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this is NOT the point. the point is that we are in DR, talking about DR and this is dr1. it may be relevant to point how other countries tackled the problem and what can be done to fix it but it brings nothing to the discussion to say that it's just as bad elsewhere.

there is nothing formulaic about "tackling the problem", because each society has different social dynamics which contribute to the problem. the solutions for India might not work here. in ex-colonial territories, for example, the approach of the colonizers is very vital to contemplate, insofar as the fact that ex-British colonies have far better education bonafides than ex-Spanish colones. there are no ex-Spanish colonies that i can think of which can rival Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, or Barbados in terms of academic achievement.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
"jaiallen" you should not post here on "DR1", try,..."Nobody Gives A $HIT1"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"WTF"?????

Not a very intelligent or educated one it seems. I pity you. What does space have to do with anything? Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Germany all have economies that are thriving well above that of the U.S, and none has or has ever had a space program except Germany. You're comparing apples to watermelons and not doing a very good job of it.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010

The issue is there's a link between education and poverty. Solve the poverty issue and the other will go away. The states I mentioned, all are among the most impoverished states in the nation, which reinforces my position. There's also a link between poverty and crime, and those involved in criminality are usually the least educated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is nothing formulaic about "tackling the problem", because each society has different social dynamics which contribute to the problem.

indeed, but examples of different solutions show that education issues can be solved, across different cultures and nationalities. and while one does not fit all the good example can be modified to suit the needs of particular society. cuba is a latin country and a former spanish colony yet the education system is much better.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"WTF"?????

★ BLACK AFRICANS IQ - Highest EDUCATED Group in U.S., U.K., Canada etc. - YouTube
You should do more thinking and less talking.

Survey: Nigerians Most Educated in the U.S. | News | BET

African immigrants out-graduate American Caucasians and Asians - Chicago Public Education | Examiner.com

Study examines success of African immigrants - Study examines success of African immigrants - BGSU

"African immigrants in the United States are generally more educated and earn higher salaries than immigrants from elsewhere. The African immigrants' success, however, depends on what country they come from, according to a Bowling Green State University study"
This study shatters the myth of Asian exceptionalism in the U.S. NEXT dumba** comment?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The issue is there's a link between education and poverty. Solve the poverty issue and the other will go away.

i tend to think the other way around. solve the education issue and many problems in DR will diminish: crime, corruption, poverty. and by "education" i mean knowledge rather than a degree or school attendance.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Education in Cuba isn't by choice. When you take choice out of the equation, the results are different. In Cuba if the government says you're going to be a doctor, you better be a doctor or else. In a Communist country, failure isn't an option.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
YOU, brought up "WATER MELLONS", NOT ME!!!!!!!!

Gotta go, my Black "MIL" fried chicken for lunch!
Really!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Let's see???
Denmark, Norway, & Sweden on one side, Africa on the other, Now THERE's a valid comparison, if I EVER Heard One!!!!!!
How many Olympic Medals did the African countries win in Soshi ??????????????????????

You may be right, I screwed a Nigerian prostitute with a "PHD" in NYC last year.
And the cab driver from Lagos could count to "Ten Dalla" in English!

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
i tend to think the other way around. solve the education issue and many problems in DR will diminish: crime, corruption, poverty. and by "education" i mean knowledge rather than a degree or school attendance.

I see poor Dominicans, and know a few, but for the most part, they aren't in my circle. Most of the ones I personally associate with are High School Grads and the vast majority, from my wife's family are teachers and most of her family are lawyers. The ones I do know have skills and are self sufficient, even those who aren't what we consider functionally literate. One of the issues in the D.R. is that even with education, the opportunities are limited. A Physician in the D.R. earns less than, well myself, a retired enlisted military member. When you have such an exodus of the skilled and the educated, the problem will always persist.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010

Really!

Let's see???
Denmark, Norway, & Sweden on one side, Africa on the other, Now THERE's a valid comparison, if I EVER Heard One!!!!!!
How many Olympic Medals did the African countries win in Soshi ??????????????????????

What does Olympics have to do with education? How much SNOW is there in Africa for there to be a skating or a bobsledding competition. You haven't said anything that even resembles intelligence, just a bunch of gibberish. Move along, you're wasting my time. Personally my only prejudice is against ignorance.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010

Really!

Let's see???

You may be right, I screwed a Nigerian prostitute with a "PHD" in NYC last year.

Let's discontinue this discourse, because I like DR1 and am not going to get myself banned dealing with your irrelevant ranting. DID you graduate High School? From the posts, it's highly doubted.

Aug 6, 2006
Not meaning to be critical, but the word is problema. It is el problema, because words of Greek origin ending in -ema are masculine. "No problemo" is not something Spanish speakers say, unless they are poking fun at gringos. Thought you might like to know...-

The Spanish expression is "No hay problema."

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010

Really!

Let's see???

My previous wife is from Angola. She graduated from Oxford, has a Doctorate in languages. She speaks Spanish, Portuguese, English, German, French, Russian, Swahili and Afrikaans. She works for the UN and earns well into six figures. Most Africans speak at least 3 languages unlike most Americans who can barely master English. The average African speaks English, a native language and usually one other.