I've been scammed

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Hi all. Could someone give me some helpful and appropriate advice please. I was browsing FB Marketplace looking for an affordable iPhone for my partner when I came upon a post from a Starlyn Stores in Sosua selling exactly what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. Having entered into communication with the store I arranged to travel from Santo Domingo to Sosua but unfortunately had a medical issue so was unable to travel. To cut a long story short, I agreed to receive the phone via Caribe tours pack and obviously send payment once an invoice was presented. Basically an invoice was presented, an individual's photo packaging the phone, and another was shown at the Caribe tours counter. I was also presented with an invoice with a redacted number, stating that once payment was confirmed the number would be released for me to collect my consignment on arrival. On my arrival at Caribe tours I presented the invoice / consignment number and the invoice image to which I was told there was no consignment matching that number and it was false. I immediately contacted the store and upon hearing the voice of the Caribe tours operator in the background they cut my call and immediately blocked my number. This morning I went back to the bank to file a claim but was told there was nothing they could do as the money had already been withdrawn. What are my options?

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hi all. Could someone give me some helpful and appropriate advice please. I was browsing FB Marketplace looking for an affordable iPhone for my partner when I came upon a post from a Starlyn Stores in Sosua selling exactly what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. Having entered into communication with the store I arranged to travel from Santo Domingo to Sosua but unfortunately had a medical issue so was unable to travel. To cut a long story short, I agreed to receive the phone via Caribe tours pack and obviously send payment once an invoice was presented. Basically an invoice was presented, an individual's photo packaging the phone, and another was shown at the Caribe tours counter. I was also presented with an invoice with a redacted number, stating that once payment was confirmed the number would be released for me to collect my consignment on arrival. On my arrival at Caribe tours I presented the invoice / consignment number and the invoice image to which I was told there was no consignment matching that number and it was false. I immediately contacted the store and upon hearing the voice of the Caribe tours operator in the background they cut my call and immediately blocked my number. This morning I went back to the bank to file a claim but was told there was nothing they could do as the money had already been withdrawn. What are my options?
Get back on FaceBook and share your story so others do not get scammed. If they hung up on you, they are obviously not legit. Sounds like a typical Dominican hustle the gringo scam. Feel free to file a report with the PN in Sosua. If you throw them a few hundred pesos and have a picture of the person who stole your money they might create a headache for them.
Also, (depending on how you sent the money)someone at the CTours Office had to sign to collect it. Things are changing down here and the police are trying to slow down the amount of cyber crimes in this country. Good luck.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Get back on FaceBook and share your story so others do not get scammed. If they hung up on you, they are obviously not legit. Sounds like a typical Dominican hustle the gringo scam. Feel free to file a report with the PN in Sosua. If you throw them a few hundred pesos and have a picture of the person who stole your money they might create a headache for them.
Also, (depending on how you sent the money)someone at the CTours Office had to sign to collect it. Things are changing down here and the police are trying to slow down the amount of cyber crimes in this country. Good luck.
Tanks for your advice and suggestion. The money was paid direct to their bank account and I don't have their photo but I do have the store details

Reactions: CristoRey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Your only option is to move on with a lesson learned.
Hope it was not a substantial loss.

In Dominican Spanish there are no words for "here is your money back".
I have found DR banks to be the last place to look for help.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Your only option is to move on with a lesson learned.
Hope it was not a substantial loss.

In Dominican Spanish there are no words for "here is your money back".
I have found DR banks to be the last place to look for help.
No refund.
No respect.
No responsibility.
Welcome To Wonderland.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Post the store on here and address, I will post it on a few more Dominican websites, as well.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions you have no idea what a help it's been. My blood was boiling over to the extent I was intent on visiting the store with my brothers and sons to have it out, but your responses have enabled a calming of the storm.

These are the details as per WhatsApp.
Starlyn Store
Mobile phone shop
5 38, Sosúa 57000, República Dominicana

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thanks for the advice and suggestions you have no idea what a help it's been. My blood was boiling over to the extent I was intent on visiting the store with my brothers and sons to have it out, but your responses have enabled a calming of the storm.

Starlyn Store
Mobile phone shop

Well, you could always drop by the store one day, even better if you had a document from Caribe tour explaining the # of envio doesn't exist.
You never know, you might just get a phone......

But yeah, as other posters pointed out, spend your free time dragging them through the mud on as many social network platforms as possible.

Reactions: slowmo and Jourgey

FGUnsworth1

Oct 18, 2003
FY
Never pay cash unless face to face. On line pay by credit card or a payment (i.e. PayPal etc.) system backed by a credit card. In an event of fraud or failure to receive product the credit card company will remove the charge immediately and start an investigation. On conclusion of the investigation if the accused party fails to satisfy the investigation payment will not be charged back to you.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Go to the police and explain what has happened. I would suggest in Santo Domingo you go to the Palacio Nacional police headquarters close to Caribe Tours at Av. Leopoldo Navarro 402, Santo Domingo 10203. I presume to make the bank transfer, you have the person's Cedula, and you seem to have their address, so this is definitely something that the police will help with. There is a special office to the right of the main entrance of the palacio where you can make denuncias, and I've always found them to be very helpful.

Fraud is a crime and carries a prison sentence in DR.

I would also get a Dominican to contact them - presuming you are not Dominican yourself - and explain that unless your money is refunded, a report is going to be made to the police.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007

Starlyn Store
Mobile phone shop
That is not an addrees I recognise. Do you have a Street Name?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
question : With a gazillion phones available in SD why would one find a need to buy one in Sosua and go thru your grief as explained? You could go and meet at any number of malls in a public area and do the exchange face to face. Just curious.

Reactions: chico bill

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Edited to add: There are at least 4 cell repair shops in the Mega Mall where for a couple of bux they would certify the condition of the phone. In addition I believe the new law on reporting stolen phones by ID data base is now being utilized. (This I am not sure of but it will be shortly if not currently).

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
When the price is to good to be true..there is a reason for that.Sorry for your loss this will be one of many learning curves you will have to negotiate over here. You have to laugh at the situation any one on here would of told you that you had no chance of that phone turning up.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
When the price is to good to be true..there is a reason for that.Sorry for your loss this will be one of many learning curves you will have to negotiate over here. You have to laugh at the situation any one on here would of told you that you had no chance of that phone turning up.

Why? I buy things from shops all the time after seeing a Whatsapp photo and talking to the shop and they always turn up. I pay using bank transfer.

As I keep saying this is a clear case of fraud and I don't understand why the police haven't been involved. They are who you go to whenever a crime happens to you. Not social media

Reactions: johne

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I would also get a Dominican to contact them

This worked for us ..back in 2015…. when a car parts dealer in SD knowingly sent the wrong part for Miesposa’s car….and then decided …no returns , or refunds… and that he was going keep the $1,000USD she paid .Two months of back and forth …police …abogado….trying to reason with him ?…nothing .

One call to her Dominican Tio…ex police. He went there and came back with $900 USD….( took $100 for his expenses) ….case solved …all within an hour….not sure how he did it or what happened … 🤭🤭🤭🤭but sometimes Dominican intervention works…for us at least🇩🇴