I've been scammed

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Round here we often refer to it as experience. Welcome to the club. I will be the first to admit there's not a single one of us (living down here full-time) on this forum who has not learned a similar lesson (involving money) the hard way.
Have you tried calling the store from another phone? Have a native speaker call and try to resolve the problem?
i'm waiting for my partner to return from her family visit and then give her the task

Reactions: JD Jones

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Round here we often refer to it as experience. Welcome to the club. I will be the first to admit there's not a single one of us (living down here full-time) on this forum who has not learned a similar lesson (involving money) the hard way.
I will say that in my opinion many if not most responses are from experience but there is always just that one who has to take it a little further

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I will say that in my opinion many if not most responses are from experience but there is always just that one who has to take it a little further
Agreed but the mods do a pretty good job of keep us in line.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Well without speaking and understanding spanish you can save the walk to the police. Better your partner do it, more better if you or your partner have any contacts to the police. If not, in my opinion it will cost you much more than the 17000 pesos, to move a Attorney and get back your money.
Hey you'll be fine, I've lost about 2 million pesos in the last 15 years.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Well without speaking and understanding spanish you can save the walk to the police. Better your partner do it, more better if you or your partner have any contacts to the police. If not, in my opinion it will cost you much more than the 17000 pesos, to move a Attorney and get back your money.
Hey you'll be fine, I've lost about 2 million pesos in the last 15 years.
As the days go by I am increasingly edging towards just chalking it up to a stupid lapse of judgement and move on but learn from it, just boils my blood to know that some low life whose probably never done a days work in his life has separated me from my hard earned.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
If 15 of us chipped in RD1000 pesos we would make you whole, anybody else want to help?
Tanks for the thought but I'm good. Just reading some of the responses and knowing others have lost more over time makes me feel less of a prat

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
As the days go by I am increasingly edging towards just chalking it up to a stupid lapse of judgement and move on but learn from it, just boils my blood to know that some low life whose probably never done a days work in his life has separated me from my hard earned.
One of my best friends living up in Sosua lost 200K USD in a property scam when he first arrived here 14 years ago. Consider yourself lucky.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yes oh wise, one this is indeed a clear case of fraud. First et me lay it on you so you understand. Unlike you oh perfect wise one I make stupid mistakes. I am a foreigner no doubt like yourself, in a foreign country and unable to speak or understand the language. I have made many purchases online and have often paid cash on delivery or gone to collect. Now here's the kicker. My partner and child was away visiting her family and I wanted to surprise her with the phone she had been lusting after, and yes I could have visited any one of the many phone shops in SDO, BUT, I saw the post which seemed too good to be true but nevertheless I followed my heart instead of my head. Truth is I was not thinking straight and was feeling good that I found what she wanted at a price that wasn't going to bankrupt me. Unfortunately, not being as perfect as you and my current "keyboard stalker", when the alarm bells started going off before and after I sent the money I ignored it to my detriment. So yes I accept that I am in the wrong but did not post here to seek sympathy as I have my own way of dealing with these situations, regardless. My intention for posting was clearly stated. I wanted ADVICE regarding my options, which quite frankly most of the respondents have provided. MOST. So oh perfect wise one you and my stalker are quite welcome to your wonderings and opinions but do note I sought advice regarding my options, not your wonderings, whys and any other musings. Not everyone is as astute, wise or perfect but we do get by despite our imperfections. Hope this provides you with much satisfaction, and by the way it's pointless responding because it will not be read but if it makes you feel good, stem on.

Excuse me. I'm not sure if you read my post correctly. I was making the point that I do exactly what you did all the time and it usually works out. In this case things went wrong. Sometimes they do but you have enough information to now go to the police and I am sure they will help.

You have the persons ID and their phone number and with that the police will find them easily.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Reading other posts I also agree that it's best to wait until your partner comes back and get her to go to the police. She will know how to fix this. You have to speak Spanish to do anything with the police here.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Excuse me. I'm not sure if you read my post correctly. I was making the point that I do exactly what you did all the time and it usually works out. In this case things went wrong. Sometimes they do but you have enough information to now go to the police and I am sure they will help.

You have the persons ID and their phone number and with that the police will find them easily.
Don't pay me no mind I was feeling a little sorry for myself. Unfortunately I was too gullible. I don't have their ID because I really believed them to be legit. What I do have is a Name and bank account number

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Don't pay me no mind I was feeling a little sorry for myself. Unfortunately I was too gullible. I don't have their ID because I really believed them to be legit. What I do have is a Name and bank account number

Ok that's almost certainly enough. But double check just in case somewhere they gave you their cédula number. That will help the police a lot.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Your only option is to move on with a lesson learned.
Hope it was not a substantial loss.

In Dominican Spanish there are no words for "here is your money back".
I have found DR banks to be the last place to look for help.
nor honoring a warranty

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Hi all. Could someone give me some helpful and appropriate advice please. I was browsing FB Marketplace looking for an affordable iPhone for my partner when I came upon a post from a Starlyn Stores in Sosua selling exactly what I wanted at the price I was willing to pay. Having entered into communication with the store I arranged to travel from Santo Domingo to Sosua but unfortunately had a medical issue so was unable to travel. To cut a long story short, I agreed to receive the phone via Caribe tours pack and obviously send payment once an invoice was presented. Basically an invoice was presented, an individual's photo packaging the phone, and another was shown at the Caribe tours counter. I was also presented with an invoice with a redacted number, stating that once payment was confirmed the number would be released for me to collect my consignment on arrival. On my arrival at Caribe tours I presented the invoice / consignment number and the invoice image to which I was told there was no consignment matching that number and it was false. I immediately contacted the store and upon hearing the voice of the Caribe tours operator in the background they cut my call and immediately blocked my number. This morning I went back to the bank to file a claim but was told there was nothing they could do as the money had already been withdrawn. What are my options?
Pay a Dominican to get it back for you that's the only way. Gringos can't do anything here - even if you can speak good Spanish they know it will end with words cause we need to be on good behavior. You need a Dominican with something in the glove compartment of their vehicle; the only thing they respect. never, ever in 100 years trust someone in advance here, I don't care what church you just saw them at - don't do it, 100 pesos, 10,000 pesos you will never get it back and they will ignore you and laugh at you and justify their actions in their head. No matter how legit or any receipt you get sent. If it's not in front of your eyes it's not real here, i'm sorry you lost that if that's your first sting you're lucky it was only that little bit.

Reactions: Gadfly

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
nor honoring a warranty
Lol Dominican banks... wait they are banks? I thought they were places you put your money when you have too much of it and want to donate a bit to the economy or spend 1 month out of the year waiting in a line with very well-dressed people and are looking to network. i'm confused now.

Jourgey

Oct 26, 2019
Pay a Dominican to get it back for you that's the only way. Gringos can't do anything here - even if you can speak good Spanish they know it will end with words cause we need to be on good behavior. You need a Dominican with something in the glove compartment of their vehicle; the only thing they respect. never, ever in 100 years trust someone in advance here, I don't care what church you just saw them at - don't do it, 100 pesos, 10,000 pesos you will never get it back and they will ignore you and laugh at you and justify their actions in their head. No matter how legit or any receipt you get sent. If it's not in front of your eyes it's not real here, i'm sorry you lost that if that's your first sting you're lucky it was only that little bit.
I actually don't think they're a physical store but operates virtually

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Lol Dominican banks... wait they are banks? I thought they were places you put your money when you have too much of it and want to donate a bit to the economy or spend 1 month out of the year waiting in a line with very well-dressed people and are looking to network. i'm confused now.
One of the great things about establishing a relationship with the manager or your account manager is the ability to avoid standing in line to get things done.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What or who is "fiscalia"?
Office of the Attorney General of the RepublicAve. Jiménez Moya esq. Juan Ventura Simó, Center of Heroes, Santo Domingo, Dominican RepublicPhone: 809-533-3522 | Email: info@pgr.gob.do