James Brewster - Good Riddance! Don't Come Back!

Jan 9, 2004
The big question is who will Trump assign to our little country?

Hopefully, a real diplomat with foreign service credentials......not a donor hack.....who proved he knew nothing about being diplomatic nor diplomacy.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2*

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Apart from us ex-pats/gringos/extranjeros (or whatever other name can be used).....ask Dominicans, here and abroad what their thoughts were/are on "Wally", the orange haired embarrassment and his husband. Dominicans here, laughed and joked at him. Dominicans abroad were insulted. The only people impressed by Wally were those that participated in his closed door pool parties. As SKY wrote above, "An Ambassador from another country is supposed to assert goodwill to the Nation he is assigned to. Not tell them a bunch of things that he thinks are rotten." The sole purpose of Brewster was to throw his homosexuality in the faces of the Dominican people, and the Catholic church. Totally disrespectful on behalf of the American government, and that person who occupied 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for the last 8 years. Would that same appointment have been made to Saudi Arabia or some other Middle Eastern country? We all know the answer to that. I just hope they use a lot of bleach when they clean out that pool of his for the next owner. Good riddance Wally.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Why? If you are Dominican I guess you are entitled to your opinion, if not how would you like a Dominican trying to dictate morals (or anything else) to your country, ESPECIALLY when it obviously goes against the majority of your population?

The range of responses to this appointment from different Dominican nationals both in and out of the D.R. was interesting and thought provoking. Those conversations shaped my opinion that the issue was one worthy of discussion. Nothing more and nothing less.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Could anyone imagine what would happen if ANY Ambassador from ANY country came to the US and pulled the crap that this guy pulled over here? Knocking everything and anything beside flaunting his gender beliefs.

He would not last a week in the US.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
His appointment, agenda and accomplishments were largely fodder for Dominicans that do discuss politics. Lets just say throwing his name around will not impress anyone but might illicit chuckles or an unwanted phone number.

May 29, 2006
At least Mr Trump would never reward donors and fund raisers with plum positions...

:::rolling eyes:::

Meanwhile, there's a tranny hairdresser who hangs out at the nearest colmado all day. No one seems to mind. The times are changin', Brewster or no Brewster.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
At least Mr Trump would never reward donors and fund raisers with plum positions...

:::rolling eyes:::

Meanwhile, there's a tranny hairdresser who hangs out at the nearest colmado all day. No one seems to mind. The times are changin', Brewster or no Brewster.

true, Peter. the DR is crawling with homosexuals, of both sexes. they just don?t like being reminded that such things exist.

maybe Dominicans will be happier if Trump assigns an ambassador who will tell the President that everybody should pull themselves up by their bootstraps, and encourage the political directorate to shred the safety net. no more comedores economicos, no more bonogas, nothing of the kind. let the free market decide who lives and dies. no more public schools. no more public hospitals and free healthcare for the poor. that?s the ticket. tax cuts for the scions of industry...more for the rich.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Agree or disagree, Mr. Brewster did what he believed in. I never heard of him stealing or selling favors. I think the Dominican Republic will have bigger problems than Mr. Brewster if President Trump carries through and deports illegals with serious criminal records. I am not referring to those who have served their time and are put on a plane. Supposedly, there are some 800000 illegals with serious criminal records at large in the United States. If only 10% were Dominicans, it would create a very difficult situation.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Its not so much about sexualty, liberalism or conservatism, as it is about decorum.Conducting ones self with professionalism and representing your office with dignity. No one really cares that he is gay until he began using his platform as a sounding board for his personal agenda. I don't shove my sexual orientation down any ones throat and neither should he. After his appointment, the Trump admin can appoint just about anyone and he/she will be better accepted and considered a better choice. The current admin. made it easy.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Met the soon to be ex-Ambassador at a social gathering. He was pleasant to speak with but did not come off as someone who was interested in or participating in diplomatic relations between the US and the DR. It seemed he kind of looked at his time in the DR as an extended Caribbean vacation. Just my opinion after the brief encounter.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Met the soon to be ex-Ambassador at a social gathering. He was pleasant to speak with but did not come off as someone who was interested in or participating in diplomatic relations between the US and the DR. It seemed he kind of looked at his time in the DR as an extended Caribbean vacation. Just my opinion after the brief encounter.

as someone who has worked in government circles, i can assure you that there are very few foreign diplomats who see time served in developing countries as much more than an extended vacation. forget about the use of terms like diplomatic relations. i am not saying that they do not exist, but it is not the kind of affair that people might be inclined to romanticize . the idea of diplomacy is not exactly what people think it is.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They, as in Gays, Trannys...etc are pretty much ignored or smirked at here in Jarabacoa. I don't imagine it's that much different in most places in the DR. Perhaps I'm wrong.

If you're wrong, I am too. Flamboyant gay men in SD and to the West of there seem to be accepted. There is one guy who I would call a drag queen (I hope that's not offensive. He's a tall man in full makeup and usually huge hoop earrings) who has a fruit and vegetable roadside stand on beach road near us, amongst several others. *A couple more sashay on the beach, and no one bothers them. Maybe some smile, but no problems or confrontations.*

These are all Dominicans, as far as I can tell. There is a level of tolerance there that is lacking in the US.*

I can't speak about gays who appear heterosexual, I suspect they fly totally under the radar of most.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you're wrong, I am too. Flamboyant gay men in SD and to the West of there seem to be accepted. There is one guy who I would call a drag queen (I hope that's not offensive. He's a tall man in full makeup and usually huge hoop earrings) who has a fruit and vegetable roadside stand on beach road near us, amongst several others. *A couple more sashay on the beach, and no one bothers them. Maybe some smile, but no problems or confrontations.*

These are all Dominicans, as far as I can tell. There is a level of tolerance there that is lacking in the US.*

I can't speak about gays who appear heterosexual, I suspect they fly totally under the radar of most.*

your last sentence is very important. many of the guys are very conspicuous...Rupaul style. the women are a different story. you don?t know who is who...i have a bunch of friends who are gay, and they are all gorgeous. one of them left her husband for a girl. the gay woman thing is huge in the DR.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
your last sentence is very important. many of the guys are very conspicuous...Rupaul style. the women are a different story. you don?t know who is who...i have a bunch of friends who are gay, and they are all gorgeous. one of them left her husband for a girl. the gay woman thing is huge in the DR.

...and throughout the Caribbean. Misogyny meets pushback.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Agree or disagree, Mr. Brewster did what he believed in. I never heard of him stealing or selling favors. I think the Dominican Republic will have bigger problems than Mr. Brewster if President Trump carries through and deports illegals with serious criminal records. I am not referring to those who have served their time and are put on a plane. Supposedly, there are some 800000 illegals with serious criminal records at large in the United States. If only 10% were Dominicans, it would create a very difficult situation.
??????
Then again, you have a point. Let's send them to Mexico. Maybe Canada? Maybe England? Maybe Germany?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011

"There is a level of tolerance there that is lacking in the US."
??????????
Are you kidding me? And where would you find this tidbit of information? On CNN with Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon, both of whom are on prime time nightly and are homosexual? The last I checked I've yet to see any other country that bends over backwards more to accommodate the Lesbian/Gay (all the other initials are downright silly now) community, than the USA. Have there been crimes of violence towards this group? Yes. And it's very unfortunate. As are all crimes. But in the big picture they are minimal. There is no war on gays and lesbians in the USA, nor here in the Dominican Republic. Crime is a fact of life, and criminals should be punished. Should a criminal be punished less severely if he attacks a straight person? Newsflash!!!!! In the USA he is. These harsh feelings towards Wally with the Orange Hair are not because he was homosexual. Good for him. It stems from him being a downright embarrassment as an ambassador to a foreign country. Pool party anybody?