japanese cars rule DR

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another factor that makes these Korean sedans popular here in the DR, is that they come direct from the factory running on LPG. Dominicans love their gas cars.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...does anyone here know what Toyotas , line of cars, Scion is?, cant remember seeing any in the DR........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The warranty isnt because they arw confident in their vehicles. The warranty is because the cars hav NO resale value and are of questionable quality. The warranty(only for North American units) is a bribe to entice the buyer to get that car. Toyota has a base 36month/36,000 mile warranty. If you want longer you have to buy it.
Also, Hyundai has a resale guarantee(US only) on the higher end models. They will guarantee the resale value of the car IF......you use that balance to apply to the purchase of a new Hyundai. No one who has a good market reputation would do that.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

...a good way to judge resale value is to check lease payments, the more a car depreciates a month the higher the lease payment....all car dealers in the USA have a book that list the depreciation of all cars per month...thats called residual value....Doc....

Jan 7, 2016
Just a brief walk around the car park at my condo here in PC: 15 KIAs, 5 Hyundais, 1 Toyota, a Ford Escape and a Chevy Sonic or whatever they're called... Looks like the Koreans are winning in PC! In the U.S., I have a 2017 KIA Niro Hybrid Small SUV that is incredible...doubt they'd do well in the D.R. due to the lack of technologically trained techs here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another factor that makes these Korean sedans popular here in the DR, is that they come direct from the factory running on LPG. Dominicans love their gas cars.

Do you know if they are dual fuel and also able to use gasoline or just LPG?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Japanese cars are by far the best.Especially when you come to a country where constant skilled maintenance is unknown.Fill them up and drive 'em till they drop and don't let a mechanic near them and they will outlast you..Once Jap,never back..

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
IT had THE same system as the Rollers if I am not wrong. When they switched to Bosch most problems were solved. I had an uncle who had a Jaguar XJ12 from the late seventies. One day the thing was spontaniously on fire, untill today nobody knows why.

Jan 9, 2004
...do you remember the old ones that had the 'lucky lucas' electrical system?.... you were very lucky if they ever worked.....

Ahhh Lucas. I remember well their 3 position switches.....Dim...Flicker...and Off.

Anyone have any first hand experience with some of the pure Chinese brands sold in DR like BYD, Dong Feng, Jai? I have also seen a few Korean Rexton SUV's, but as the brands I mentioned are not sold in the US, I was curious as to their quality, reliability.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
a proper reading of the article would show that American cars are the second most popular after the Japanese cars...now it makes a little more sense

Apr 7, 2014
a proper reading of the article would show that American cars are the second most popular after the Japanese cars...now it makes a little more sense
I put dollars on donuts Ford has a solid showing. The Explorer is a global animal and the Fiesta makes a great starter car. After that I say Dodge. Dodge plays well in LatinAmerica because their cars exude Macho. Chevrolet is a huge brand in Colombia, Ecuador and Brazil but many people in DR have never heard of the brand.

Apr 7, 2014
Ahhh Lucas. I remember well their 3 position switches.....Dim...Flicker...and Off.

Anyone have any first hand experience with some of the pure Chinese brands sold in DR like BYD, Dong Feng, Jai? I have also seen a few Korean Rexton SUV's, but as the brands I mentioned are not sold in the US, I was curious as to their quality, reliability.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
They are crude cars, the equivalent of what retailed.in the US in model year 1981.

Jan 9, 2004
I put dollars on donuts Ford has a solid showing. The Explorer is a global animal and the Fiesta makes a great starter car. After that I say Dodge. Dodge plays well in LatinAmerica because their cars exude Macho. Chevrolet is a huge brand in Colombia, Ecuador and Brazil but many people in DR have never heard of the brand.

American brands ranking in the DR:

1. Ford imports are more than double that of GM/Chevrolet
2. GM/Chevrolet imports are more than triple that of Chrysler
3. Chrysler/Dodge

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I wonder how long it will be until we see pure electric vehicles in the DR.  Tesla are pushing ahead with production of the more affordable Model 3.  Volvo have announced that they will soon be manufacturing pure EV cars.  Jaguar and BMW have already started and a few Japanese manufactures such as Nissan are in the fray as well as Hyundai.

From a DR perspective, hybrid cars are undesirable because of their complexity and the limited abilities of local mechanics.  However a pure electric vehicle has fewer moving parts and for the most part virtually maintenance free.

Marketed right, EV's could be a real seller as many Dominicans resent the high price of fuel.