japanese cars rule DR

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I wonder how long it will be until we see pure electric vehicles in the DR.  Tesla are pushing ahead with production of the more affordable Model 3.  Volvo have announced that they will soon be manufacturing pure EV cars.  Jaguar and BMW have already started and a few Japanese manufactures such as Nissan are in the fray as well as Hyundai.

From a DR perspective, hybrid cars are undesirable because of their complexity and the limited abilities of local mechanics.  However a pure electric vehicle has fewer moving parts and for the most part virtually maintenance free.

Marketed right, EV's could be a real seller as many Dominicans resent the high price of fuel.

....Worked for toyota many years, long time ago.....toyota is the largest seller of cars in the world, for good reason.... the hybrid car prius is sold in vast numbers in USA ....really not that complicated...the main thing that needs replacement is the battery pack, not hard to do and has gotten cheaper, due to aftermarket battery, and they last many years... the gasoline mileage is as good ,and maybe better than say a corolla on propane...forget about the tesla, never happen in the DR....Doc......

Jan 9, 2004
I wonder how long it will be until we see pure electric vehicles in the DR.  Tesla are pushing ahead with production of the more affordable Model 3.  Volvo have announced that they will soon be manufacturing pure EV cars.  Jaguar and BMW have already started and a few Japanese manufactures such as Nissan are in the fray as well as Hyundai.

From a DR perspective, hybrid cars are undesirable because of their complexity and the limited abilities of local mechanics.  However a pure electric vehicle has fewer moving parts and for the most part virtually maintenance free.

Marketed right, EV's could be a real seller as many Dominicans resent the high price of fuel.

Volvo's entry into all electric vehicles will be through its newly created subsidiary and brand Polestar.

The biggest problems with electric vehicles for the DR will likely be availability of electricity to charge them, their anticipated range, and of course...cost.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
....Worked for toyota many years, long time ago.....toyota is the largest seller of cars in the world, for good reason.... the hybrid car prius is sold in vast numbers in USA ....really not that complicated...the main thing that needs replacement is the battery pack, not hard to do and has gotten cheaper, due to aftermarket battery, and they last many years... the gasoline mileage is as good ,and maybe better than say a corolla on propane...forget about the tesla, never happen in the DR....Doc......

Volkswagen (barely) displaced Toyota last year. It remains to be seen if they can hold that title after the brand was damaged due to the worldwide emissions scandal.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
American brands ranking in the DR:
1. Ford imports are more than double that of GM/Chevrolet
2. GM/Chevrolet imports are more than triple that of Chrysler
3. Chrysler/Dodge

the article states as follows:
De fabricantes americanos, que aportaban un universo de 58,796 unidades, de las cuales la marca Chevrolet lideraba con 28,546, seguida de la Ford, con 13,414. Dodge y Chrysler participaban con 4,221 y 2,102 unidades respectivamente. De otras marcas de automóviles americanos había registrado 10,513, cifra que incluye las marcas Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Mercury, Cadillac, Lincoln, Jeep, Scion y Cherokee.

Jan 9, 2004
De fabricantes americanos, que aportaban un universo de 58,796 unidades, de las cuales la marca Chevrolet lideraba con 28,546, seguida de la Ford, con 13,414. Dodge y Chrysler participaban con 4,221 y 2,102 unidades respectivamente. De otras marcas de automóviles americanos había registrado 10,513, cifra que incluye las marcas Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Buick, Mercury, Cadillac, Lincoln, Jeep, Scion y Cherokee.

The difference is that my figures are recent and from the import association and the government figures are likely from total vehicles currently registered.

Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury are all dead brands......and have been for some time. Scion died last year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Volkswagen (barely) displaced Toyota last year. It remains to be seen if they can hold that title after the brand was damaged due to the worldwide emissions scandal.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
... sorry about the bad info......in most years they are........

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury are all dead brands......and have been for some time
Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Should not be possible to import any of the above unless as a classic.
Pontiac died in april 2009, Oldsmobile died in April 2004, an Mercury died in June of 2010

Apr 7, 2014

Scion isba subdivision of Toyota, defunct.
Cherokee is a model of Jeep itself a subdivision of Chrysler.

Global sales leader holder is a rotating crown between GM, Toyota and VW. I have always said GMs problem was that their global recognition was watered down by too many all encompassing brands. In the Americas the general brand was Chevrolet, but in Asia it was Daewoo(in Japan: portions of Isuzu, Suzuki, and Subaru). In Australia it was Holden and in Europe, Opel(& Vauxhall and Bedford). Well the shakeout has happened, the will sell Opel to Peugeot. They shuttered Holden and will design and build cars for Australia from their Daewoo facility in South Korea. They(GM) used to be innovators but somewhere along the way they got waylaid by "synergistic business practices".

I was listening to several podcasts last week about Driverless Cars or Automated Cars since Tesla and Google and Apple and Microsoft are investing in these autonomous GPS programs. I dont know who would want one of those. If you dont want to drive your own car there are already less expensive options available. These radio hosts talk about these driverless cars like its the New Wave but I doubt it. I used to work at a Volvo store when these CAN/BUS systems first came out and its very costly to replace the simplest items on your. If the radio fails you have to replace not only it, but download new software to make it work with the cars computer. This was a $1300 repair just for the factory OEM radio. Look at the stereos they put in cars now? All integrated with the GPS, DVD, etc. Driverless tech sounds great in a new car under warranty but in a used or older car?

Tesla at this moment is not a profitable company. We dont know if they will ever be. At present its a niche car, an electric sedan/SUV, that costs $100,000US. How many can they sell at $40,000? And likewise, the other manufacturers and their hybrid cars, are all niche cars. They use them as Taxis in big city markets but they get a huge tax break which offsets their extra costly maintenance schedule. I think this is where GM will shine since the 1950s they have owned Howard Hughes' aircraft and electronics company and Ross Perot's computer company. They actually did the profitable thing and put their hybrid in the larger cars which made them instantly profitable. Also they perfected Displacement on Demand.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk