Jarabacoa or Constanza ?

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
How is the road from Jarabacoa River Club to center of Jarabacoa. I google it River Club to Parque Durate only around 5 KM, but what is the driving like. I ask because would it be Ok to drive at night if we decide to go out for dinner and a few drinks. I usually avoid driving at night but if road is good 5 km is OK.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
How is the road from Gran Jimenoa to center of Jarabacoa. I google it Gran Jimenoa to Parque Duarte only around 4 KM, but what is the driving like. I ask because would it be Ok to drive at night if we decide to go out for dinner and a few drinks. I usually avoid driving at night but if road is good 4 km is OK.

Facepalm Supreme

Dec 29, 2022
Santo Domingo
Went to Constanaza from Jarabacao just before the pandemic. NO reason to return. It was a most unremarkable area.
Always hear locals mentioning Constanza, mostly people that haven't been there. I would NOT go back. Nothing to do, very campo. Not the best infrastructure.

First time in my life I've been somewhere at night and said "holy shit, there could literally be 10-15 guys 15-20 feet away from me hiding right over there and I would NOT be able to see them", Very poor night lighting. It didn't "feel unsafe" per se but it is very, very dark at night due to a lack of street lighting.

Jarabacoa is the polar opposite but still has all the best aspects of that area. Amazing weather, gorgeous women, crazy low prices, absolutely (imo) one of the most beautiful areas of the country with vistas that are 10/10. I rented a villa up there for a weekend and will NEVER FORGET taking in my morning cofee, looking at the mist gather in the valley where there is a big stream/small river and like magic a caballero went riding by on horseback, very slowly crossing the big stream/small river and the horse stopped in the middle and bent down and took a drink and then continued on. It was absolutely breathtakingly amazing - a scene out of the 1500s. There is a reason why many of the richest people in the country have homes in Jarabacoa and dread having to work and in the city during the most critical times in their industries and long for retreating to their vacation homes.

Can't say enough good things about Jarabacoa.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How is the road from Gran Jimenoa to center of Jarabacoa. I google it Gran Jimenoa to Parque Duarte only around 4 KM, but what is the driving like. I ask because would it be Ok to drive at night if we decide to go out for dinner and a few drinks. I usually avoid driving at night but if road is good 4 km is OK.
From the highway into to Jarabacoa you turn right at the light towards the Confluenza and then make another right onto the avenida confluenza at the plaza ( very short distance) then will make another right in about a kilometer ( right after a restaurant) then you are going through a residential area on a well paved but narrow road that has several speed bumps, once you reach the end of the road you are at the hotel. I have driven this road numerous times with several drinks in me. Every local knows the way to that hotel so you cant get lost.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Jarabacoa all the way!
There's nothing to compare in my opinion.
Personally, I love the drive from Jarabacoa to Constanza, Beautiful views and Constanza is a peaceful place, quite clean by Dominican standards with good roads. My wife still has one aunt still alive in El Rio, and lots of cousins in the area. We always pick up some fresh garlic and onions, as well as other veggies. Aqua Blanca waterfall has the coldest water I have touched in the DR. https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/es/poi/cascadas/constanza-es/salto-de-aguas-blancas/ one can stay in Jarabacoa and take a day trip to Constanza.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Always hear locals mentioning Constanza, mostly people that haven't been there. I would NOT go back. Nothing to do, very campo. Not the best infrastructure.

Nothing to do? What do you mean?
Some people are just looking for nature, fresh nights, a good meal, a walk and that’s it.
If you want something to do go to Santo Domingo, el Malecón on a saturday night.
As I lived for a long time in La Vega I know both well. My personal favorite is Constanza, especially in the winter. You feel abroad.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Yep. Just feels like you're not in the DR.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Absolutely, different strokes for different folks. I once went to a Vela in Angostura, which is a little village on the way to Pico Duarte. Freshly grown coffee from the finca where the Vela was, and it was very peaceful sitting under a large tree in the middle of a small farm, with birds chirping, butterflies and bees everywhere, and not a car or motorcycle to be heard. A couple of shy little girls (around 5 or 6) following me everywhere. It is one of my favorite first memories of the Dominican Republic. My youngest son was also with us, and he says it is one of his favorite memories as well (and he is a city lover)

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Personally, I love the drive from Jarabacoa to Constanza, Beautiful views and Constanza is a peaceful place, quite clean by Dominican standards with good roads. My wife still has one aunt still alive in El Rio, and lots of cousins in the area. We always pick up some fresh garlic and onions, as well as other veggies. Aqua Blanca waterfall has the coldest water I have touched in the DR. https://www.godominicanrepublic.com/es/poi/cascadas/constanza-es/salto-de-aguas-blancas/ one can stay in Jarabacoa and take a day trip to Constanza.
Thank you Bob. I think that I will first spend a few days in Jaracoba River Club. ( seem to be the best choice for 12 year girl). Then leave this hotel around noon and go to Constanza for that afternoon and sleep in Constanza overnight before heading home south.

1. What kind of road condition can I expect between Jaracoba and Constanza? I check on Google Maps, its around 50KM and takes around 1Hr and 15 mins. It looks very curvy. I have no problem driving this as I know to ajust my speed with the curves. Just have to look out for bad drivers coming towards me too fast to remain in their lane.

My Question is this road very steep at times? What general condition is it in? Also what about the part leaving Constanza going back to join Highway 1 going south. I asking all this because I do not have a very good condition car but its usually get me where I am going.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you Bob. I think that I will first spend a few days in Jaracoba River Club. ( seem to be the best choice for 12 year girl). Then leave this hotel around noon and go to Constanza for that afternoon and sleep in Constanza overnight before heading home south.

1. What kind of road condition can I expect between Jaracoba and Constanza? I check on Google Maps, its around 50KM and takes around 1Hr and 15 mins. It looks very curvy. I have no problem driving this as I know to ajust my speed with the curves. Just have to look out for bad drivers coming towards me too fast to remain in their lane.

My Question is this road very steep at times? What general condition is it in? Also what about the part leaving Constanza going back to join Highway 1 going south. I asking all this because I do not have a very good condition car but its usually get me where I am going.
Road is very curvy and lots of blind corners, so yes you need to stay on your own side of center for sure. It is steep in places but not overly steep. The road is well paved but does have several short sections that are rough. The vegetable stand she is in front of in the video is about a kilometer from my wife's aunts place.

Reactions: XTraveller

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Went to Constanaza from Jarabacao just before the pandemic. NO reason to return. It was a most unremarkable area.
To the contrary, I love it up there! Worth the drive from Punta Cana every once and awhile.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
To the contrary, I love it up there! Worth the drive from Punta Cana every once and awhile.
I just don't get it. I saw nothing worth seeing again in Constanza.

I have been to Jarabacoa probably a hundred times, and it is OK.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
LOL , e
I like Cabarete. I think Jarabacoa is boring as hell. But it isn't ugly.

My wife is from Jarabacoa and doesn't want to live there.

I didn't move to an island to live inland.
Every continent is an island. I grew up on the edge of the pacific ocean. I prefer a lake or river with mountains. I see the appeal of living near the beach but I have the ability to be happy and content wherever I am. I get bored in a resort after the second day.

Reactions: PCMike

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I took route 28 from Constanza to Jarabacoa 3 times back around 2005 looking at properties. Back then it was not much more than a trail along the side of a mountain and there was sections where the Jimenoa river was a speck at the bottom of a huge valley. My other half freaked out the first time she saw it and wouldn't ride in the car through a couple of spots. lol
I wonder if that route has been widened/paved?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I took route 28 from Constanza to Jarabacoa 3 times back around 2005 looking at properties. Back then it was not much more than a trail along the side of a mountain and there was sections where the Jimenoa river was a speck at the bottom of a huge valley. My other half freaked out the first time she saw it and wouldn't ride in the car through a couple of spots. lol
Whole road is wider and paved. First time I went from Jarabacoa to Pasa Bajito was in 1997. The road was muddy and slanted towards the cliff. We actually had to get out in several places and walk the hillside above the road. Christmas in Pasa Bajito was 7 degrees Celsius, but some of the best food and coffee I have ever had.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First time I took the road it was on a Yamaha DT and it was quite something of a single track road. Now it is paved. The ride is more interesting than the destination.

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones