Jardines de Coson, Las Terrenas

HJI

Oct 20, 2010
Why is Jardines de Coson website shut down?

Hi,
I just joined this forum and thought I would also share my experience with Jardines de Coson. I reserved a condo back in 2006 through Gold Leaf RE at an ICG event. I have made 2 trips to DR to check out the Samana area as well as the Jardines site.
My most recent trip was in June '09 - I was in Santo Domingo for a volunteer trip to help build a small school & install basic water filtration systems for a rural Haitian "immigrant" village, and I stayed a couple of days extra to check progress at Jardines. I tried to email Albert Defazio before my trip, but no luck, maybe out of town?
Instead of flying the shuttle plane like the 1st time, I had a local contact drive me up the brand new highway (very nice) that connects Santo Domingo to Samana - about 3 hour drive, very scenic. I noticed quite a few Jardines billboards as we approached Las Terrenas, along with many other project signs. My local contact (also in RE industry) said this highway should bring a lot of weekend traffic up to Samana area from Santo Domingo (but tolls were pretty steep though).
In Las Terrenas, I stopped by the local Century21 office to get their take on Jardines - the realtor there said she didn't know why this project had dragged on for so long, heard there were some drainage issues for the land that required additional work, better to buy in one of the other projects that had finished during the same time and closer to town.
I stopped by the Jardines office - closed, noone there, probably out of town?
There was also a HUGE new condo beach resort project in town - Balcones de Atlantico - that had Phase 1 units completed in less than a year; upscale, lots of yuppies from Santo Domingo visiting the project, units $400K+. Lots of construction activity going on, tons of bulldozers moving around, very impressive.
When I went to see the Jardines project, it was neatly fenced and had a sign for some "Jose Ignacio" local construction company. The model villa was 60-70% done and Las Terrazas townhome project had basic shell/walls completed. A couple of Caterpillars parked idle, and 1 local worker not doing much.
What disappointed me was the the entire Jardines side of the land had no progress - still coconut trees and original ground cover.
Here's what I don't understand - I was told that the developer owned the land free & clear already. So far, I think at least 25% of the purchase price (and maybe more) has already been paid (in escrow at Stewart Title? I'm not sure). With no land financing expenses & 25%+ in purchase installments, I was expecting to see more progress on the Jardines condo portion of the land, no?
Did all of this $ go into the neat fence and fixing the drainage issues?
And now the website has been shut down?
In this day & age, it should not be that difficult (or expensive) to keep the buyers updated as to what is going on with the project - an email every few months, a basic website w/ photos & updates, don't you think?
I'd love to exchange contact info w some of you on this forum - based on the impressive credentials & background of the developer, I really was expecting better communication than this.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Property Values Playa Coson / Las Terrenas

Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas. The drop in the real estate market has an effect even in the Dominican Republic. I would say that if you paid 116,000 and nothing has been built yet than in todays market I would say it is not worth much more than that. Not much is selling in the area except for the very high end villa/condos i.e. Balcones del Atlantico. Their apartments start at about 650,000 and up.
People buying in this price range seem recession proof. If you have paid all your money up front I would be a little concerned over what construction is being done. You may want to contact an a lawyer in the Las Terrenas area to persue your interests. He probably is making money on your money or worse.

S

SunCalWayne

Jan 27, 2008
Status Jardines de Coson

Posting the last two reports from Laurel Pine with Boomerange (one of the original sales agents).
Wayne

9/15/2010

Hi Everyone,
It has been a little over a month since I emailed last about Jardines de Coson, and though I don't have anything new to share, I still want to keep you informed.

We continue to be in regular contact with Albert by phone and email and he is in fact still waiting for the transfer of funds. I realize this has been a really long wait, considering the papers were signed three months ago allowing for the restructuring of capital for the project. The scope of what Albert is working on is much larger than just Jardines de Coson, which I believe has contributed to the delays. I do think the outcome, if all goes as planned, should be positive for everyone involved. I wish I could be more specific, but hopefully I will be able to share all the details within the next few weeks.

At this point, Albert hopes to start construction in October.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////

6/28/2010

Hello everyone,
We've been talking with Albert regularly, and I do have some updated information to share with you all.

Albert did sign the papers the week of June 7 - 10 as he mentioned in the last email I sent you. All the contracts have been signed allowing for a restructuring of capital for Jardines de Coson and providing sufficient funds not only to buy out Albert's former partners, but also finance the project in full. We have a copy of the actual agreement, signed and notarized. Of course the details of the agreement are confidential, but I can assure you that I have seen the contracts and they seem totally legitimate.

At this time, Albert is waiting for the funds to be released to his account. Because of the large amount of money being transferred, all the government authorities are involved, to ensure the legitimacy of the transaction (making sure it is not drug money, etc...). There is no indication of how long it will take to have the funds reach Albert's bank. It could be days or even weeks. Once the funds are received, Albert plans to come to California to meet with the investors (buyers of the condos).

While waiting for the transaction to complete, Albert is meeting daily with the new investor, making plans to improve the project. They are discussing options to expand the project with additional amenities including a large beach club with pools, restaurant, boats, and other activities. Since the plans are not final, I can't be more specific.

I'll know more in the coming days or weeks, and will keep you informed of the progress.

Thank you for your patience! I'm sure we will all give a big sigh of relief when construction begins.

Warm regards,

Laurel Pine

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Uh, oh!!,poor communication but its already doubled in value!!! Way behind what their promises but once construction begins!!! Been in contract for a couple of years!! Anyone else smell a rat here? Does this sound familiar? Hope you all do not lose your $ like the rest who bought unfinished construction based on a bunch of pretty drawings. Ask anyone here if they EVER pay for something before its finished and delivered. Does not matter if its a car repair, house painting or a condo. Never, ever pay ahead of time for anything in the DR!!!
Not one peso until its fully finished and in your hands done exactly the way you asked. Good Luck with your investment.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Jardines de Coson is still sand and dirt and in my opinion it will stay that way with this developer... For sure, there are projects like this where people got ... up but there are also good and decent projects.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Never said "all". Just offered advice to not buy a pig in a poke. So many people are victimized by their trusting slick real estate developers with pretty pictures. Why take a chance on sand, dirt and promises when one is able to buy existing construction. With existing all you have to worry about in the DR is crooked lawyers and title fraud.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
is there any progress on this project ?

whats the size of the development, how many units are proposed to be built?