JCE and migracion will take digital fingerprints of everyone entering and leaving DR

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is a difference to require such documentations for a postpaid phone/internet plan, as the service provider wants his guarantees that at the end of the month the bill of such Open Plan will be paid.
what i am talking about, is thetypical services used here daily in tourism/by visitors.
people rent prepaid services for Data and Phoneminutes with their passport, to take such away would be a senseless measure.
youcan limit for what length of time such services can be reloaded, restrict it on the 90 days of a future Visitor Visa, on day 91 the Data/Phone SIM is disconnected. such is easy to do and makes sense.
but to say that only cedula holders can rent phone and internet services, plain stupid.

Mike

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.............but to say that only cedula holders can rent phone and internet services, plain stupid.

Mike

I read the post a little different than you. It said only cedula holders can have an account to obtain cell phone, TV, and internet service. A prepaid Sim card does NOT require an account. Shucks airports are selling prepaid Sim cards from vending machines nowadays.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I read the post a little different than you. It said only cedula holders can have an account to obtain cell phone, TV, and internet service. A prepaid Sim card does NOT require an account. Shucks airports are selling prepaid Sim cards from vending machines nowadays.

I read it that anyone with a cedula MUST get the new one. I didn't see anything about non-residents not being able to use their Passport for banking, etc.

Feb 7, 2007
I am in Colombia right now, you can get a prepaid service (which is cheaper than many post paid plans in DR) with nothing. .. I registered for ?xito M?vil right over the phone and then my prepaid SIM card was activated. But I heard it's a bit difficult to open bank account in Colombia if you do not have local c?dula, you need two guarantors for you to do it, I guess it's because of money laundering . But from what I saw Colombian banking services are not as good as in the DR, you cannot even get a debit VISA for online purchases and the one they give you can be used only domestically, so to buy on EBay or Amazon you need a real credit card. Sucks.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So thy are going to close my bank account cut off my power contract cancel my cell phone and my tv i turn on and off as i come and go. what is
going to happen to my apartment? What is this all about?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I read it that anyone with a cedula MUST get the new one. I didn't see anything about non-residents not being able to use their Passport for banking, etc.

I was making reference to this part of the post because some seem to be under the impression people would no longer be able to get a prepaid Sim card without a cedula. "Accounts" is the keyword to me, prepaid Sim card does not require an account.

-----------------
Like I told you here, the new Cedula will be required for all tasks one must carry out daily in the DR.

No new Cedula, no services.

And just to give DR1 members and readers alike a heads-up: This will also come to be required on all existing accounts by the cell phone providers, including TV and internet services, utilities, insurance, etc....

I am legal, I sleep good at night. LOL

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
Yacht Chef relax man this thread is about fingerprinting when coming into the RD some people are uncomfrotable with but to me it really is not a big deal.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yacht Chef relax man this thread is about fingerprinting when coming into the RD some people are uncomfrotable with but to me it really is not a big deal.

Same here, no big deal. My beloved USA does it to foreigners entering all the time. Maybe the DR is just catching up with things.

Many times I think I am in the small minority of expats, but I really don't think the DR government is as stupid as some people try to make it out to be. Sure maybe things don't happen the way we like but I have seen nothing but improvements in la rep dom, especially these past five years or so.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
In the DR, they had their fingerprints recorded? I just flew in and out of the DR and did not see anyone being fingerprinted. wowowo .. lots of narcotrafficantes are not going to be very happy about being fingerprinted flying in and out of the Dominican Republic...

AND, neither will a million tourists, coming for a vacation in a "Tropical Paradise" NOT a POLICE STATE!!!!!!
ESPECIALLY THE AMERICANS.
WE DON'T WANT TO GIVE OUT OUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD #, LET ALONE OUR FINGER PRINTS!!!
While most countries have no problem with a national ID card, we don't want, or have one.
Digital finger prints are now being used to protect American access to bank accounts, computers, cell phone, buildings, I don't want the DR to have mine!!!
Neither will the tourists!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AND, neither will a million tourists, coming for a vacation in a "Tropical Paradise" NOT a POLICE STATE!!!!!!
WE DON'T WANT TO GIVE OUT OUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD #, LET ALONE OUR FINGER PRINTS!!!
While most countries have no problem with a national ID card, we don't want, or have one.
Digital finger prints are now being used to protect American access to bank accounts, computers, cell phone, buildings, I don't want the DR to have mine!!!

Easy to avoid - don't leave or enter the DR :)

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

All the tourists to USA including Puerto Rico and Hawaii already have to get their fingerprints and iris scanned on entry. Doesn't stop them going in droves

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Everytime I enter the USA I am fingerprinted. Immigration desk look into the camera then place my fingers on the digital scanner. Honestly do not see the big deal ?

You do have to do that in the USA, but I know of no tourist vacation island where they do.
TOURIST are coming to visit the islands, and leave,not to live.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You do have to do that in the USA, but I know of no tourist vacation island where they do.
TOURIST are coming to visit the islands, and leave,not to live.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I think you just hit the nail on the head Tom - DR wants to make sure we DO leave.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I got patted down -- quite intimately - by a female Dominican guard when
I left --and had my carry on opened and searched.

And I was dressed really well..I thought..
(ok, it was the sneakers? with the socks?)
but it was a nice dress
(oh? they did not go together? well, there was not enough room in the carry on for the sneakers and at my age -- well comfort uber alles)

I guess I just LOOK like the child of the 60s that I am.

no worries. I do not mind that they are doing their job.

So you think a dominican knows what a "child of the 60's" looks like??????????????/
She just wanted to "Cop A FEEL", be flattered, you STILL got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I don't see it as a big deal at all and I welcome it. Keep more of the shifty people out. Eye scan me, finger print I don't care, I have nothing to hide and it wouldn't scare me at all being a tourist.

I just don't trust this government to secure this information.

Maybe its just me but the I don't really trust this government.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Can you imagine what the line ups at POP are going to be like now?

I can see none of you have had your identity stolen. Mine was in the U.S. believe me its not fun. After 2 years I'm getting funny stuff at times. Here you can get your credit card cloned in 2 seconds. This stuff does not make me feel happy like all you folks are. You must do what you need to do to keep yourself safe.

I can see none of you have had your identity stolen. Mine was in the U.S. believe me its not fun. After 2 years I'm getting funny stuff at times. Here you can get your credit card cloned in 2 seconds. This stuff does not make me feel happy like all you folks are. You must do what you need to do to keep yourself safe.

Trust me, no one would want my identity!!