Jesus Alou Died Today

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Saw him play in Cincinnati with his brother Mattie. They played for San Francisco. Great baseball family. May he RIP.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Jesús María Rojas Alou was born on March 24, 1942. In keeping with the Latino custom, each parent contributed half of his double surname, but he is known in everyday life as Jesús Rojas in his homeland. While Felipe was playing in the US minor leagues, a team official mistakenly began identifying him as Felipe Alou, and he did not feel empowered to correct the error. When Mateo and Jesús followed him to the States, they used the Alou surname in order to associate with Felipe.

If this were not enough, many American writers and broadcasters were uncomfortable with his first name (properly pronounced “hay-SOOS”). Although there have been more than a dozen players named Jesús in the major leagues, Jesús Alou was the first, and is still the most prominent. Before his first season with the Giants, a San Francisco writer asked local religious leaders about the situation, and they all agreed that he needed a nickname, that reading “Jesus Saves Giants” in the morning paper would not do. The paper asked readers to write in with their suggestions, which many did.2 His Latino teammates often called him Chuchito, but the writers often called him Jay. “What,” the subject asked in 1965, “is wrong with my real name, Jesús? It is a common name in Latin America like Joe or Tom or Frank in the United States. My parents named me Jesús and I am proud of my name.”3 Thankfully, by the end of his career, everyone, even the writers, called him Jesús.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Only trio of brothers to play for the same major league team I am aware of
From Baseball History Comes Alive:

"The three Alou brothers: Felipe, Matty , and Jesus, all played together in the same outfield for the Giants. Three brothers in the same outfield had never happened before. In the game, played on Septembe 15, 1963 at Forbes Field."

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
RIP

SAD indeed!

His brother Matty, who passed away in 2011, was my favorite Dominican ballplayer.

All three bothers played for los Leones del Escogido, the cool team from La Capital. But I bet Mr. AE is probably a liceísta.
(here's hoping he's an aguilucho, an even cooler team)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
SAD indeed!

His brother Matty, who passed away in 2011, was my favorite Dominican ballplayer.

All three bothers played for los Leones del Escogido, the cool team from La Capital. But I bet Mr. AE is probably a liceísta.
(here's hoping he's an aguilucho, an even cooler team)

You’re right, Licey is his team. Our son has an Aguilas hat though (But I bought him a Licey hat last month 😂). The only other Dominican brothers who played baseball in MLB were his father’s cousins.

Reactions: Lucifer

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The only other Dominican brothers who played baseball in MLB were his father’s cousins.
Olivo brothers?
Dominican baseball royalty... inmortales de nuestro béisbol

I remember when they died in '77, 12 days apart.