Jet Blue flight turned around

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You can bring your duty free liquor onboard. At airports where duty free is located outside the TSA screening area, they're waiting for you and hand you the liquor right as you step onboard the plane. On American you could give the flight attendant your liquor and ask them to serve it to you. This was pre-covid and not sure if other airlines did the same(?).

Reactions: Caonabo

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
While on Duty Free. The DR is the only Country I have been to that has Duty Free for purchase when you land here.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
For what it's worth...A stewardess on a flight from JFK to STI once told me that if the duty free bag is opened on board, the contents can be subject to tax on arrival. I've never heard that anywhere else (not that I ever asked). Perhaps she was just trying to scare people out of excessive drinking?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
For what it's worth...A stewardess on a flight from JFK to STI once told me that if the duty free bag is opened on board, the contents can be subject to tax on arrival. I've never heard that anywhere else (not that I ever asked). Perhaps she was just trying to scare people out of excessive drinking?

Customs limits how much alcohol you can bring in, but I've never heard that it would be taxed if opened(?).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
^^^^^^ Thanks Sky. That's the way it works. Someone opening those giant handles of Johnny black on board would get shot or thrown from the plane while in flight.
All the other ideas about drinking with BYO booze are lame ideas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
#1..Not all bags are sealed

#2.. I always open my bag and put the bottles in my luggage

NEVER had a problem...
Haven't had the Sneaky Pete drinks in many, many years.

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Flight was from JFK to DR

First of all, not enough of a fine, should have been at least 6 figures, but of course that behaviour will make it almost impossible for that person to EVER fly again. As if you act that way that the plane will turn around just because of your behaviour, that will certainly blacklist you from that Airline. And most likely also blacklist you from other both rivals and shared owner airlines as they most of the times share those blacklisting lists. So GOOD LUCK trying to get onboard any US airline again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

But for not bringing alcohol, where did anyone get that idea? The article says "the FAA forbids passengers from drinking alcohol that they have carried on board." So yes you can bring your own alcohol onto the plane, just not drink it... but seriously who hasn't? Obviously not openly in front of any cabin crew. I used to buy those small bottles, although sometimes quite expensive, still not compared to the overpriced alcohol they sell on the plane. That way you could also drink different kinds of spirits, Rum, Whiskey, Vodka and have a lovely flight :sleep::LOL:

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
More precisely, the FAA prohibits passengers from drinking alcohol that is not served by the airline. Many passengers bring mini's onboard and drink them discreetly.

Reactions: bellakins

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
$14,500, isn't a big enough fine. I would make him pay $100,000. What an a-hole.

However, I did learn something. I really never knew you can't bring booze onboard. I rarely drink so it never crossed my mind to do so. But now I know!
Its Posted on the plane ... I think this offence alone can be like a $10,000 fine if they want to enforce it . Totally different than like SMOKING on a Plane though.

But People get away with it , a lot ,. ... If you bring those small bottles , the same ones THEY Serve , which would actually be allowed in a Carry on, then YES I think you can drink those Legally
, but not any regular size bottles , and especially not the DUTY Free bottles of course .
Most people are slick enough to buy a Dunkin Donuts Coffee and then put their Booze in there to sip, or they do dip into the duty free stuff .. especially now since they are not SELLING you any Alcohol on the plane .
But Opening the Duty Free is a huge NO NO.. but I think thats a Made up Rule they have .. because once in the Air .. the UNPAID Taxes ( Duty Free) are no longer an issue really, so its not a Federal thing ...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You can't really bring it on board. Liquids don't pass security check in. However, you are passed your bag of booze bought in duty free and you carry it right to your seat. "Hi welcome aboard, hope you only have two giant bottle of Johnny Black?"
Yes you can ... small bottles . quart zip bag, as many as you want stuffed inside .. but each bottle has to be like under 3 oz each

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Its Posted on the plane ... I think this offence alone can be like a $10,000 fine if they want to enforce it . Totally different than like SMOKING on a Plane though.

But People get away with it , a lot ,. ... If you bring those small bottles , the same ones THEY Serve , which would actually be allowed in a Carry on, then YES I think you can drink those Legally
No, legally you can't. See posts #25 and #30.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
No, legally you can't. See posts #25 and #30.
They are supposed to serve it to you yes ... or if they serve you one of THEIR DRINKS , same brand , you can then CONTINUE DRINKING from your Bottles ..

Technically perhaps its a violation, to OPEN it and drink it ( the small bottles ) .. but it was almost NEVER enforced before .. Lots of people do it .. I do not recall EVER even hearing anyone get in trouble for it .

But if you are Drunk and showing your ARSE.. they can and will pull out the FAA Rules and slap you silly ..
Especially during these strange Times ..

Most travelers have even Sweet Talked the Flight attendant to give them FREE Booze .. it aint rocket science ..
I did it once or twice by myself . Just be NICE and they Bend the Rules quite a bit ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They are supposed to serve it to you yes ... or if they serve you one of THEIR DRINKS , same brand , you can then CONTINUE DRINKING from your Bottles ..

Technically perhaps its a violation, to OPEN it and drink it ( the small bottles ) .. but it was almost NEVER enforced before .. Lots of people do it .. I do not recall EVER even hearing anyone get in trouble for it .

But if you are Drunk and showing your ARSE.. they can and will pull out the FAA Rules and slap you silly ..
Especially during these strange Times ..

Most travelers have even Sweet Talked the Flight attendant to give them FREE Booze .. it aint rocket science ..
I did it once or twice by myself . Just be NICE and they Bend the Rules quite a bit ..
No, it doesn't matter if you happen to have the same brand mini. It is still not legal to drink your booze. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for doing it, but it's still not legal. Most people do it discreetly.

Flight attendants comp drinks all the time. They're not bending the rules. They can do that.

Passengers that are drunk and disorderly are routinely removed from the flight if on the ground. In the air, some flights have to divert and have the passenger(s) removed at a great inconvenience to everyone. Many passengers miss connections in those instances.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As a former flight attendant I can assure you that it is not "allowed" to drink any alcohol that you may have been able to bring on the plane. If I sold/gave/comped you a drink with lets say a mini bottle of Jack, once you have finished you would not be able to then continue drinking the same with mini's you may have brought with you. It is a liability issue for the airline. Now does it happen yes but is it allowed, no.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As a former flight attendant I can assure you that it is not "allowed" to drink any alcohol that you may have been able to bring on the plane. If I sold/gave/comped you a drink with lets say a mini bottle of Jack, once you have finished you would not be able to then continue drinking the same with mini's you may have brought with you. It is a liability issue for the airline. Now does it happen yes but is it allowed, no.
Nobody wants a drunk on a flight that develops an emergency.

Reactions: nigrarosa

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Nobody wants a drunk on a flight that develops an emergency.

Of Course NOT ... but no one is going to stop you from slamming down a Double Johnny Walker , so you can get a nice Nap in , nice and relaxed ...
That is not a Liability issued to anyone .. everyone wins.

Why do us Casual DRINKERS have to be compared to the Boozers who are STINKING DRUNK before they even get on the plane ?
Completely different type of travelers ..
We have all seen the Real DRUNKS and it is not pretty...
They are usually very LOUD, like they enjoy being the center of attention... and then they make the FATAL mistake of ARGUING with a Flight attendant .
Bad Bad move .
Once the Flight attendant says words like " Do i need to alert the Captain"... its really time to STFU.... but the Drunks cant catch that little clue and may even respond with " yeagh, let me talk to him " .

Reactions: TropicalPaul
Status
Not open for further replies.