Jet Blue & Spirit

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Jet Blue will have their Hands full trying to bring Spirit Planes up to their their standards .. those planes are OLD and IMHO NOT Safe to Fly ..
But I guess the ROUTES is what they are buying most of all .. eliminate that sector of competition .
Maybe the Pilot guys on this board can shed some light .. but I have heard those SPIRIT planes are near End of Life , they are so old .

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Jet Blue will have their Hands full trying to bring Spirit Planes up to their their standards .. those planes are OLD and IMHO NOT Safe to Fly ..
But I guess the ROUTES is what they are buying most of all .. eliminate that sector of competition .
Maybe the Pilot guys on this board can shed some light .. but I have heard those SPIRIT planes are near End of Life , they are so old .
I don't know, jd. I've flown on DC-3s. If they're well maintained, you can keep flying ad infinitum.

Jan 9, 2004
Sounds like a done deal.

Not until it gets regulatory approval.

And given the present administration, regulatory approval may be hard to get. Expect to hear the words anti-consumer and anti-competitive very soon as the forces against the merger line up.

If it does get done, it will be a net negative for the DR in terms of flight pricing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: AlaPlaya

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not until it gets regulatory approval.

And given the present administration, regulatory approval may be hard to get. Expect to hear the words anti-consumer and anti-competitive very soon as the forces against the merger line up.

If it does get done, it will be a net negative for the DR in terms of flight pricing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
We live close to the Atlantic City International Airport, and in addition to a plethora of military aircraft from the adjacent facility, those big yellow planes are a frequent presence in our skies. Ive flown Spirit to Chicago a few times and many many times to Florida. When I saw this headline, my first thought/hope was maybe a direct flight to Santo Domingo to save us from the long drive to Newark or Philadelphia.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
We live close to the Atlantic City International Airport, and in addition to a plethora of military aircraft from the adjacent facility, those big yellow planes are a frequent presence in our skies. Ive flown Spirit to Chicago a few times and many many times to Florida. When I saw this headline, my first thought/hope was maybe a direct flight to Santo Domingo to save us from the long drive to Newark or Philadelphia.
Atlantic City to the DR would be really Good GOOD .

My Brother and Family love that Airport , I personally have never been there , hard to believe
but I hear the Parking is absolutely Amazing .
Newark and JFK are a Nightmare with Parking Long Term..
AC direct ? would Literally increase Traffic of Tourism to the DR .. there are a LOT of people who would Opt there , and fly more Often
Like the entire PHILA Market , which I believe has no direct Flights to DR , strange as it seems .. a layover in Miami is required
they even torture people with 2 stops ,, Pittsburgh and then Miami, which is absolutely ridiculous for a Major City Like Phila .

Reactions: AlterEgo
Jan 9, 2004
What generally happens is a consolidation in routes that overlap and an eventual increase in fares. Airlines are not adding routes at this time. On the contrary,.
service routes are being cut.

That does not mean however that a direct flight to the DR might be added at some point in the future................only that those low fares of Spirit are likely in the rear view mirror..............................assuming regulatory approval.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
"As of January 1st, 2022, Spirit Airlines is one of the few airlines that has passed the new FAA certification process. It means that they have met or exceeded all safety standards set by the government agency.

Spirit Airlines fleet has an excellent safety record. There have been no fatal accidents involving Spirit Airlines aircraft in the last ten years."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Direct flights , never ...
AA has 1 and 2 stop options right now I believe
here it is....

Reactions: AlterEgo and jd426

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Direct flights , never ...
AA has 1 and 2 stop options right now I believe
We flew AA direct for years from PHL SDQ. Only Saturday or Sunday. They discontinued it, then brought it back Saturday only, but sounds like it’s gone again. We actually met WW a few times on those Philly flights.

Reactions: jd426

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I have stocks with jetblue so I'll see if it will soar my profits. I'm glad Spirit is gone, they are awful. DR will be pissed when jetBlue is going to jack up prices. It always happens after mergers.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
"As of January 1st, 2022, Spirit Airlines is one of the few airlines that has passed the new FAA certification process. It means that they have met or exceeded all safety standards set by the government agency.

Spirit Airlines fleet has an excellent safety record. There have been no fatal accidents involving Spirit Airlines aircraft in the last ten years."

That's good to know.
I'm flying them next month up to FL.

Domphil

Dec 16, 2011
Spirit airlines planes average age 6.9 years. One of the newest in USA