Jetblue begins charging for first bag

Jan 9, 2004
Today Jetblue announced a $20 first bag (online) fee if you opt for its Blue service (the least expensive ticket). Their other more expensive tickets and those with Mosaic status in their frequent flyer program are not affected.

If you are currently holding an already purchased ticket, you are grandfathered and will not need to pay.

This leaves Southwest as the only major US carrier not charging for a bag.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You still get a free checked bag into the Capital and Santiago.

Lets do the math on that one together..
If they CHARGE for tchecked bags, and did NO charge for the Carry on..
what do you suppose will happen ?
These Doms will be trying to bring Steamer ship TRUNK size Carry 'ons down the shute and into the plane..
and unless you one of the first 40 people on the plane you will have no where to put your bottle of Duty free, let alone your small backpack.. its complete insanity as it is already.
LOL
I would not surprise me if the DR is the one and ONLY exception to this $20 checked bag fee, just cuz the Chaos that would ensue alone is not worth the hassle for them to even try it.
but this is just a guess.

Jan 9, 2004
You still get a free checked bag into the Capital and Santiago.

Thank You Jetblue. Looks like Haiti/Trinidad and Peru are the exceptions right now. I can't even imagine the increase in carryon luggage if they put a bag fee into the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, AA also provides the first bag free when flying international?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If Im not wrong Delta still give 1st. one for free and Hot meals.

If I'm not mistaken, AA also provides the first bag free when flying international?

I'm pretty sure this is done if you have a frequent flier # and use their card to book the tickets. We flew United in January, 2 free bags [one each]. Our next trip is on American [also a FF with them] and we have 2 70-pound bags each going down [business class] and one free 50 lb bag each coming back.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I just flew Jet Blue and opted for the $30 bigger seat - thinking it was the huge wide seat.. nah.. that was SPIRIT... on Jet blue it is in the front row.. gives maybe 2inches more of leg room -- and no tray table .. first to crash..

American is looking better now..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I just flew Jet Blue and opted for the $30 bigger seat - thinking it was the huge wide seat.. nah.. that was SPIRIT... on Jet blue it is in the front row.. gives maybe 2inches more of leg room -- and no tray table .. first to crash..

American is looking better now..

bad luck you chose the first row because ALL the other rows with even more space have 38 inches of legroom , at least 4 inches more than normal, you also get priority loading onto the plane and you go through security at a fast gate in JFK .. by necesity I have to fly American and it has no interest in its passengers and the timetables are rotten .

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
different subject. a couple of years ago i found a jamaican shipping company near jfk that would ship a skid pallet worth of your own goods for 125 but you would have to pick it up at the port no door to door.

Jan 17, 2009
American does not allow a free bag to the Caribbean unless you fly business or have some elite type of FF status. I even have one of their credit cards that allows one free in the US, but no, the Caribbean is not included. The excuse they gave me, all well most of our international flight have them included. Just returned a few weeks ago and paid
60 or 65 for two bags.

One of United's credit cards has one included to the DR (used it on my way north).

I'm pretty sure this is done if you have a frequent flier # and use their card to book the tickets. We flew United in January, 2 free bags [one each]. Our next trip is on American [also a FF with them] and we have 2 70-pound bags each going down [business class] and one free 50 lb bag each coming back.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
From the Jet Blue web site today:

1. For Blue fares, the first checked bag fee is $20 when purchased during web check-in or at a kiosk, or $25 at the check-in counter and the second checked bag is $35. For Blue Plus fares, one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Blue Flex fares, two checked bags are included. For Blue and Blue Plus fares for flights to or from Santo Domingo, Santiago, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, Kingston, Cartagena, Medell?n, Bogota, Lima and Mexico City: one checked bag is included and the second checked bag fee is $35. For Mint fares: two checked bags are included. For all fares, any additional bags are $100 each. All bags are subject to size/weight and other restrictions. Other fees apply for oversized or overweight baggage. See JetBlue | Baggage info.