Job for a Dominican chica

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
In the USA just about anyone can work for a fast food joint e.g McDonalds or a supermarket. Is it the same in D.R? I have a female friend (no kids) who at 19 years old is going to school twice a week for a total of 4 hours to get her bachillerato (she dropped out and has returned in adult program). I am insisting that for me to "help" her further financially she must be viably occupied for a whole lot more hours than 4 a week. I know it will be a very low wage, its just trying to get her to develop some type of work ethic. She speaks very little english and lives in Puerto Plata. Give me some options to suggest to her!

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Suggestion to you: forget it. If she cant envision a better life for herself, there is no help you can offer that will be sustainable. Find friends who dont need help. She just wants YOU to accept the responsibility for her life than she refuses to. How futile is that?

Reactions: AZB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
A Dominican Will ONLY "Work",.......

When they have exhausted ALL OTHER ALTERNATIVES!!!!!!!!
Thousands of us have walked in your shoes!!!!!!
Throw away the shoes,or just enjoy the great sex with her,and forget about "Changing Her Life For The Better"!
"YOU",are the "BETTER"!
Before you,someone else was her "BETTER",and after you leave,someone else will be her "BETTER"!
Do you think she is with you because you are so young,great looking,and have so much incommon with her????:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky

Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is no job for her. i saw an article few weeks ago that stated the unemployment in POP region is 38%. she has no skill, no languages and no education. i am sorry to dissapoint you but options are very limited. unless someone is the family has a hotdog cart and needs someone to pour ketchup on sausages her only other chance is working with a different kind of sausage in playa dorada.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Does She Like Her New Stove,and "Fridge"??

How about the "Flowers",and "Cake"??????
God Help You!!!!!

It was once said:

"There Is No Fool,
Like An Old Fool!!"

I KNOW,bought a few "Fridges" in my Hay day too!

Cris Colonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
hahaha, I was afraid this thread might go in this direction....RacerX and Chriss Colon your points are well taken and valid......I am of Caribbean descent, and grew up in a country with SOME of the traits as D.R so I am aware of the pitfalls (shucks, I am more frustrated by my relatives back in my birthland constantly hitting me up for help) .....Racer, Chrisss or Anyone out there that can help with the names of absolute entry level jobs that I can offer to her in D.R next time I am there? I travel there monthly! And plese ignore the I am being used comments, I am a big boy that just needs this info at this moment. I promise I'll update yall!

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
there is no job for her. i saw an article few weeks ago that stated the unemployment in POP region is 38%. she has no skill, no languages and no education. i am sorry to dissapoint you but options are very limited.

Wow, that is indeed disappointing! Working for little or close to nothing is one thing and should be a rite of passage for someone without any educational credentials (She has one year left for H.S equivalent) , but if you are saying that there is just nothing thats available , period, that is downright scary. Thanks for your response

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
qualified people struggle for work let alone someone who is young, has no experience, no languages, no education and is of breeding age (yes, dominican employer WILL take that into account). this is why i sugggested family business. maybe someone in her family needs a girl to attend a food cart, flower stand, nail salon. other that that she may, i think, apply to la sirena for a position of cashier/packer/shelf filler. money is crap but at least it is a job.
sorry, man, reality bites.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
other that that she may, i think, apply to la sirena for a position of cashier/packer/shelf filler. money is crap but at least it is a job.

Actually, this is very helpful info. Anyone else any entry entry entry level job suggestions

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I think you will find that there are Dominicans with university degrees working some of those crappy jobs at La Sirena. Worth a shot though.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
I think you will find that there are Dominicans with university degrees working some of those crappy jobs at La Sirena. Worth a shot though.

Well, even applying and getting turned down is a step in the right direction, it's good practice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think there is an over-generalization here.

Yes, there isn't a robust economy to turn to, but not all Dominicans are lazy.

I'm sure we can all think of some smiling, helpful faces we see regularly during our daily routines..... at the tiendas, the colmados, the gas station, restaurants, pharmacies., etc.
Faces we look forward to seeing....... and they work 6-7 days a week.:paranoid:.... something many of us might have a hard time doing;)

Just thinking out loud....

WW

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
She can try contacting the private schools (maybe even public schools too, I don't know) about kindergarten assistants that might be needed. The pay is very bad, but it's work, and if she likes kids, it will be enjoyable. Basically they do what the kindergarten teacher tells them to do... take the kids to the bathroom. Help set up/clean up schools supplies, make sure the kids walk in a single file line together when they're moving from classroom to the bathroom, to outside, etc... I don't know what the requirements are, but they can't be that mind blowingly difficult. She will have to go in there with the right attitude, because there are probably plenty of people, each year, who want the job. If she's not that interested and won't take the initiative, then don't bother.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
In the USA just about anyone can work for a fast food joint e.g McDonalds or a supermarket. Is it the same in D.R? I have a female friend (no kids) who at 19 years old is going to school twice a week for a total of 4 hours to get her bachillerato (she dropped out and has returned in adult program). I am insisting that for me to "help" her further financially she must be viably occupied for a whole lot more hours than 4 a week. I know it will be a very low wage, its just trying to get her to develop some type of work ethic. She speaks very little english and lives in Puerto Plata. Give me some options to suggest to her!
4 Hrs. a week to finish High School.. She'll be 60 when she graduates. Tell her to go to school full time and you help her with her living expenses. 150 bucks a month should take care of that. And you get your free pu$$y when you come to visit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm.... willam webster, i am not sure you understand what you read. no one here said dominicans are lazy buggers. we say that the job market is tough and there isn't much OP's girl can do. people with far more qualifications and abilities are struggling or doing menial jobs in order to survive...

back to OP:
aside from la sirena i would suggest looking at any dominican food places (no english means no overly touristy businesses). there is a pizzeria/panaderia san jorge, food mart in jose luis and tropical (and those supermerkados themselves). there is tienda jimenez and casa nelson. there is also centro medico bournigal, all doctors there have "secretaries" outside who sign in patients and call seguros, alternatively there should be plenty of cleaning positions.

have your girl print out some CV's and by some i mean 50 or so and then go around all above businesses. she may have luck.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
4 Hrs. a week to finish High School.. She'll be 60 when she graduates. Tell her to go to school full time and you help her with her living expenses. 150 bucks a month should take care of that. And you get your free pu$$y when you come to visit.

lol, thanks for the input Eddy, and it makes sense however I was told that because of her age, the public school system only accomodated part-time...is their another route that I am not aware of thats faster for an adult to get h.s diploma?

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
If she's not that interested and won't take the initiative, then don't bother.

Thanks for the input, it's exactly why I am going this route to determine if the desire is there by her...and i wouldnt know unless she is presented with an option and declines

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
to survive...

back to OP:
aside from la sirena i would suggest looking at any dominican food places (no english means no overly touristy businesses). there is a pizzeria/panaderia san jorge, food mart in jose luis and tropical (and those supermerkados themselves). there is tienda jimenez and casa nelson. there is also centro medico bournigal, all doctors there have "secretaries" outside who sign in patients and call seguros, alternatively there should be plenty of cleaning positions.

have your girl print out some CV's and by some i mean 50 or so and then go around all above businesses. she may have luck.

Thank you dv8, you have been most helpful

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
4 Hrs. a week to finish High School.. She'll be 60 when she graduates. Tell her to go to school full time and you help her with her living expenses. 150 bucks a month should take care of that. And you get yourfree pu$$y when you come to visit.

Now that pays a higher dividend than any blue chip!

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
lol, thanks for the input Eddy, and it makes sense however I was told that because of her age, the public school system only accomodated part-time...is their another route that I am not aware of thats faster for an adult to get h.s diploma?

Where does she live? I can check if it's in Sosua. However, I think that, HB would be the most qualified to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.