Jolly Roger Sosua is burned

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 29, 2006
May not be arson. Restaurant fires are pretty common. A place I worked at in VT for 10 years burned down and there were two more restaurants that burned down where I live in the last five years. They can often start in the vent hoods, from wiring that gets chewed on by rodents, or in the fridge compressors(and sometimes intentionally). I had a small fire at my spot in Sosua about ten years back when the recently installed electric meter caught fire. I was lucky to be able to put it out before the thatched roof caught fire. I suspect they didn't tighten the wires down properly and it ended up arcing into a fire.

Glad no one was hurt and I hope they can rebuild it bigger and better.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I tried sending a message of condolence using the JR website--the system wouldn't send it because it thought that my message "contains advertising . . ." But if you're reading this thread Pat and Kelly:

"Hope you can weather the storm OK and bounce back." wbr

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Did not start in the kitchen, was there all day, the worst area torched was the back left corner where the office is. The place is completely destroyed. Let's all be thankful that everyone is ok including Bambi, the dog. We wish Patti and Kelly all the support in the coming weeks. Hope they rebuild. We need a fund raising event for the Jolly who has raised so much for local charities on a day to day basis!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did not start in the kitchen, was there all day, the worst area torched was the back left corner where the office is. The place is completely destroyed. Let's all be thankful that everyone is ok including Bambi, the dog. We wish Patti and Kelly all the support in the coming weeks. Hope they rebuild. We need a fund raising event for the Jolly who has raised so much for local charities on a day to day basis!

Any way to tell if the fire started on the outside of the building or inside the office?

Aug 21, 2007
I saw this reported on the "Everything Cabarete" FB page this morning, here's what the post said - sounds like more than an accident:

"Well, it looks as if a certain person made good on his threat before he skipped town. That person made threats and tried hiring someone to burn down the Jolly Roger. This morning it appears the bar was set fire and is a total loss. Patty and Kelly have been such great friends and I can't imagine anyone wanting to try and hurt them. Thank goodness nobody was physically hurt. I hope that catch the racist, bigoted a$$hole that did this."

Always risky to place blame before investigations are done. I want them to find the culprits, if there are any, but I am against placing blame prematurely. Remember, that is one of the complaints many have about this country.

Lindsey

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Always risky to place blame before investigations are done. I want them to find the culprits, if there are any, but I am against placing blame prematurely. Remember, that is one of the complaints many have about this country.

Lindsey

Small town, everyone is talking. Many rumors.

Word on the street today from many different people was that a customer (Canadian) was thrown out after some type of dispute, this person stated he would burn the place to the ground. I have no other knowledge other than what I heard today on the street and on the beach. I wish them the best of luck in rebuilding their establishment.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Word on the street today from many different people was that a customer (Canadian) was thrown out after some type of dispute, this person stated he would burn the place to the ground. I have no other knowledge other than what I heard today on the street and on the beach. I wish them the best of luck in rebuilding their establishment.

The person in question stated many times after being tossed out of the bar for being a complete a**hole that he would burn the bar to the ground. Patti and Kelly are some great people and they work their butts off to provide a great atmosphere for all to enjoy.

Best of luck to rebuilding guys and I will be back 100% to help you rebuild because I think of the JR and the people in it as my Cheers.

Concrete2

Dec 11, 2013
I pledge that I will spend tons of money in the NEW Jolly Roger when it is rebuilt. Next trip already booked for 2 months in Sosua. Hang in there Mick.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Wait for the "Investigation"????????
Who, the "Fire Marshall", the "Arson Squad", the "Policia National", the "Insurance Investigators"???????
"Yeah RIGHT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sue Priest

Mar 18, 2014
To all friends of Kelly & Patty and the Jolly Roger!

I am in the process of setting up a Trust Account for donations to Kelly & Patty to help the Jolly Roger "rise from the ashes". I will keep, all those interested, posted on the status of the account (it has to be approved) and let you know the details when I have them. Thank you all for your love and support. I will be sure to get your messages to Kelly & Patty!

Sue :)

"Hoist the Jolly Roger"

Sue Priest

Mar 18, 2014
I have been informed that the arsonist has been arrested and is the same man who uttered the threats. I will confirm the details as they are received. Thanks for your support!

"Hoist the Jolly Roger"

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Interesting. The insurance agent today told me there was an inspection and it was declared an electrical fire!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Any new info on the arrest that Sue Priest mentioned......we are heading into town to see if help is needed again today....will keep everyone posted....and SosuaMatt go do your thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.