Jovenel Moïse is a dictator at this point...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Ok - I have finished Part1 - first 8 chapters .

I perhaps made a mistake in buying the Kindle edition but I simply can not afford a house big enough for the library I would have were I to buy all the books I buy.. my kindle has about 400 titles on it... ANYWAY - for others who are going to start the book - A

ND WHY DON:T WE ALL START THE TRILOGY? We, here, on the Haiti forum? Would be a great book club!
But - here is the thing - it has taken me through the first 8 chapters to understand that there MUST be a glossary? Which, of course, there is - called something like the "Devil's Other Dictionary" - at the end (which would have been an easy find in an actual book).

Plus - I do wonder how a TOTAL Haitian newbie will fare with this? With no understanding of voodoo? The book won lots of awards as a novel - yet for those who are really seeking an understanding it all? Might be a bit rough going. I already had a lot of the vocabulary - yada/petro/peristyle/hougan/mambo - lots of the loa - as well as the basic concepts and how the religion "works" - but for those with none?

Well, I will never have an answer unless the DR1 Haiti Forum Book Club takes up the challenge - Starting with "All Soul's Rising" -https://h-france.net/fffh/maybe-missed/madison-smartt-bells-haitian-revolution-trilogy/

To End my First Thought - if you get this book - READ THE GLOSSARY FIRST!

Who is in?
Annie, is the link you provided for the whole book?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Annie, is the link you provided for the whole book?
no - the link is only a book review
the book is only book one of a trilogy - I am only at the beginning - so not going to suggest that we go through All Three Books - but this first one was the major prize winner....

You will find used copies for sale on Amazon. I like to buy new copies from living authors if I can afford them so that they will get the royalties.. making $$ from writing is Not Easy!

Reactions: NanSanPedro

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Reactions: NanSanPedro

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
the book is only book one of a trilogy - I am only at the beginning - so not going to suggest that we go through All Three Books - but this first one was the major prize winner....

You will find used copies for sale on Amazon. I like to buy new copies from living authors if I can afford them so that they will get the royalties.. making $$ from writing is Not Easy!
I bought (ordered it on line in theDR for del.in NY) for $7 used including shipping.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Thanks Annie, I should get it sometime in April.

Reactions: mountainannie