Juan Dolio and stories I've heard

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
$100US for a basic dinner... Well... JD is a trap. Money drain. BC is better suited for an expat`s life. And safer to swim. JD has currents.

I'm sure Alexw will know of a few restaurants in Juan Dolio where you can feed a family of ten for less than US$20 and still have change for a tip.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I'm sure Alexw will know of a few restaurants in Juan Dolio where you can feed a family of ten for less than US$20 and still have change for a tip.

Wow im living inside that gigantic head of yours, huh? This thread isn't even about me yet youre trying to bait me. Go away, Paul.

Reactions: House

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Where are all these expensive restaurants in Juan Dolio? Ive found food to be reasonably priced but like others have said the place is beyond boring. What I do love about JD is that you dont have someone pushing useless stuff in your face every 2 seconds(Boca Chica) while youre trying to eat or relax. Thats is annoying.

Last time we paid this amount for a modest dinner for three at the restaurant in the beginning of the beach. That belongs to people from Czechoslovakia. I forgot its name.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Just to add that if you drive a vehicle in Dom Rep you will need to have A/C. Only the poorest people drive around with the windows down, because everyone else has the A/C on and the windows up.

I would also suggest that if you're thinking of living here part-time, you go for a condo in a gated community. One of the sterile blocks with a lot of security. Maybe this is boring, but I imagine that the attraction of Juan Dolio is to live somewhere with a beach and nice weather, so you probably want hassle-free living, turn up and know that your place has not been burgled.

Only! In a super gated and super fenced. With a super security. And on a third floor or higher. But not right under the roof.

Reactions: Clandestino

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What? Where could you possibly pay $100 for a dinner? Possibly Hemingway's that place that burned down, I suppose. Maybe basic dinner for you is champagne and caviar.

Wrong."That place that was burned down" has been rebuilt and it is NOT expensive, nor does it have a good menu. It's best for cocktails at sunset. Believe me...boots on the ground.
Across the street from the guarded gate to Hemingway apts is Sal Marina, which I cited earlier. About 3 blocks away is the restaurant at the hotel. Big bux. Great for ppl that want to take pics of the food plate and then say "is there anymore food coming". This area of JD is not for expats as one poster mention before. But, when the big bucks come in on the weekend there is a whole new part of what goes on in the DR taking place in JD. Young people, young families, that have a lot of $$$.
Now I hope this doesn't start a conversation "Well, it's their Daddy's money". Maybe. Maybe it's clean or dirty. IDK. But the fact of the matter is yes, dinners might cost $100...and they pay it.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wrong."That place that was burned down" has been rebuilt and it is NOT expensive, nor does it have a good menu. It's best for cocktails at sunset. Believe me...boots on the ground.
Across the street from the guarded gate to Hemingway apts is Sal Marina, which I cited earlier. About 3 blocks away is the restaurant at the hotel. Big bux. Great for ppl that want to take pics of the food plate and then say "is there anymore food coming". This area of JD is not for expats as one poster mention before. But, when the big bucks come in on the weekend there is a whole new part of what goes on in the DR taking place in JD. Young people, young families, that have a lot of $$$.
Now I hope this doesn't start a conversation "Well, it's their Daddy's money". Maybe. Maybe it's clean or dirty. IDK. But the fact of the matter is yes, dinners might cost $100...and they pay it.

Didn't you recently rent an apartment in this area?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Last time we paid this amount for a modest dinner for three at the restaurant in the beginning of the beach. That belongs to people from Czechoslovakia. I forgot its name.

Well that would be US$33.33 for a dinner then. When I stay in Juan Dolio I go to an excellent Italian restaurant where they serve some of the best steaks I have had here. From memory, including wine it's about $15 - 20.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In the Good Things thread we should post that another good thing is that
our old friend TT has emerged ( from boredom at home ) to chip/chime in once in a while

Hello TT!!!:bandit:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all, I remember my trips to Boca Chica in the early 90's. At that time the area was shady and you had to be careful of your surroundings. Recently I had visited Juan Dolio and was thinking of moving there part time in the coming years.
During this 2018 visit, I was being told these horror stories about common thievery and assault that I'd love to verify from locals currently living there...Below are some stories I've been told:

1. I shouldn't roll my vehicle windows down on the highway because if the thieves see a white tourist they will pull up on motorcycles and rob you at gun point right there on the highway.

2. Thieves would hit your moving car (either on foot or bicycle) and when you pull over to help them more individuals would jump out of the trees with machetes and rob you.

3. Should you worry if getting to your home requires you drive on a desolate road? i.e. The top of Calamares turning right heading into the Golf Coarse Resort above the highway in Juan Dolio.

4. There are prostitutes everywhere...is there local dance bars where married couples can enjoy themselves without the harassment from this?

I think maybe the fear mongering is uncalled for but wanted to hear from people who actually live there for some real life experiences.

Thank you,

Hi:

Just curious? Why Juan Dolio? Is it the proximity to the airport or Santo Domingo? Just like living anywhere in the world you need some street awareness. Prostitution as you know is legal. If you look for it you will find everywhere in the DR. As a gringo in DR you can be a target of crime but if you use good common sense and don't go and look for trouble you should be fine. What I mean by this is don't frequent bars and discos that attract those looking for ladies of the night or drugs. Avoid wearing any expensive jewelry, watches and watch your wallet. If you go out bring some cash and maybe one credit card. Leave your wallet at home. Don't go to the bars with the express intent of drinking way more than you should. If locals notice you are loaded and don't have all your faculties you may end up being compromised by prostitutes and thieves. Bottom line is to you common sense and don't put yourself in a position in which you may be compromised. If your behavior is dumb then you will be in for trouble. You will be taken advantage of and put yourself in harms way. It's fine to be friendly but don't trust people who are only interested in your wallet. You are in the land of the have's and have nots and people want what you have so take care. I would also consider other areas of the DR and not just Juan Dolio. Good luck.

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Hi:

Just curious? Why Juan Dolio? Is it the proximity to the airport or Santo Domingo? Just like living anywhere in the world you need some street awareness. Prostitution as you know is legal. If you look for it you will find everywhere in the DR. As a gringo in DR you can be a target of crime but if you use good common sense and don't go and look for trouble you should be fine. What I mean by this is don't frequent bars and discos that attract those looking for ladies of the night or drugs. Avoid wearing any expensive jewelry, watches and watch your wallet. If you go out bring some cash and maybe one credit card. Leave your wallet at home. Don't go to the bars with the express intent of drinking way more than you should. If locals notice you are loaded and don't have all your faculties you may end up being compromised by prostitutes and thieves. Bottom line is to you common sense and don't put yourself in a position in which you may be compromised. If your behavior is dumb then you will be in for trouble. You will be taken advantage of and put yourself in harms way. It's fine to be friendly but don't trust people who are only interested in your wallet. You are in the land of the have's and have nots and people want what you have so take care. I would also consider other areas of the DR and not just Juan Dolio. Good luck.

In Juan Dolio ??
Ghost town concrete jungle?

Even the dogs don't steal from the garbage there.

Maybe the dodgiest dangers are the parking boys at Guyacanes beach.Daylight robbers.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Those "dodgiest dangers" you speak of are most definitely within the 'village' of Juan Dolio, as opposed to Guayacanes (which is just a barrio slum now) and can run 25 deep. I know most of their parents, or grandparents for that matter, so I do not have problems as such. Others are different. It is a sad state of affairs due to the type of foreigners there at this point of time. It is easy to wind up with a spear between the 3rd and 4th rib if you happen to have your back turned, or if you should call for such.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Be not concerned about kidnappings in the DR. They can almost be like an awesome impromptu vacation adventure in the DR.

One "victim" got dumped off with his cash, cell phone and credit cards by his kidnappers at a semi-brothel in Boca Chica some time ago. Heck, the kidnappers even fed his dog.

So I'm sure the stories you've been told are exaggerations. Dominican criminals are all very civilized.

They are very civilized because they work for the government. Most are the police.

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
First rule: never believe rumours or people talking unless YOU have seen it yourself, and don't rely on appearences because what you see is NOT what you get. I've been coming to JD for many years and now live here full time. I've never experienced anything bad, on the contrary. Of course I don't walk around by myself and I'm always careful of my surroundings. I choose where I go. I like the quiet of JD during the week and avoid the beach on weekends. I'm located at the "old" JD and not at Villa del Mar where the highrise are. Of course, a drunk gringo who walks around at night, will become a target.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk