Judge sends brother and sister of former President Medina to trial; accepts deal with OISOE director

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Alexis-Medina-N-Digital.png

The judge of the Seventh Court of Instruction, Deiby Timoteo Peguero sent Juan Alexis and Carmen Magaly Medina Sanchez, siblings of former President Danilo Medina to trial. They are accused in the Antipulpo case, that encompasses major irregularities primarily in sales to the government entities. The brother and sister of the former President (2012-2020) are accused of irregularities in public tenders in several government institutions.

Judge Timoteo made the decision after considering that the accusation presented by the prosecution had sufficient ground to justify the probable guilt of the accused.

Also Fernando Rosa, and Wacal Bernabé Méndez, Lorenzo Hidalgo, Aquiles Cristopher, Antonio Florentino and companies, Rigoberto Alcantara Batista, Carlos José Alarcón, Fulvio Antonio Cabrera, José Idelfonso Correa, Libni Valenzuela, Francisco Brea, Víctor Encarnación Montero, Lina Ercilia de...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bachata

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Why aren't we talking about this DR1? Surely it's big news that the former president's brother and sister are finally going to stand trial for corruption along with a whole bunch of their cronies. Are we all so jaded that none of us believe that they will be found guilty, or is there a glimmer of hope that this could be the watershed that we've all been waiting for?

Reactions: aarhus and JD Jones

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why aren't we talking about this DR1? Surely it's big news that the former president's brother and sister are finally going to stand trial for corruption along with a whole bunch of their cronies. Are we all so jaded that none of us believe that they will be found guilty, or is there a glimmer of hope that this could be the watershed that we've all been waiting for?
What goes around, comes around. The PRM will have to be squeaky clean because they won't always be in power.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
What goes around, comes around. The PRM will have to be squeaky clean because they won't always be in power.

Ain't that the truth. I have always thought the there is a big issue if you set yourself up as the zero corruption party because there must be quite a few people out there who know where the bodies are buried.

I suspect it won't be a thing for a few years as my money's on Collad for the next president

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
César El abusador is setting them up.
Danilo Will be on the list soon.
JJ

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I suspect that the reason that this case is not discussed more here, is that those here who are more traditionally minded prefer to see the evidence as presented in a court rather than judge and condemn by internet or by press. At this stage it is unknown if the siblings of former President Danilo are being accused because they have acted corruptly or simply because of their blood ties. The current Government has chosen to bring cases only against people associated with one previous Government whilst choosing not to investigate other Governments including that of their own party which may suggest that this is a politically based trial.

Reactions: aarhus

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I vote for jaded. When I read the headline to Mr AE he answered immediately: “They’ll get off”.

Reactions: aarhus

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I vote for jaded. When I read the headline to Mr AE he answered immediately: “They’ll get off”.
Nope, they are not going to get away with this one.
If so president Abinader won't be reelected again.

JJ

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
César El abusador is setting them up.
Danilo Will be on the list soon.
JJ
Cesar will be rotting away in a maxium security prision in the not too distant future. I believe Danilo is already on the list and their just waiting until everyone else has been convicted so he's got no one to give up or flip on.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Cesar will be rotting away in a maximum security prison in the not too distant future. I believe Danilo is already on the list and their just waiting until everyone else has been convicted so he's got no one to give up or flip on.
And remember Danilo was second to Leonel for many years.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Being a politico is surely the hands down "Best Business in the DR."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Yes it is, just an example of someone that I personally know on this list... Fernando Rosa, in 1994 he was so poor that for me to collect RD$1000. Pesos from him due a check without found he wrote for me paying a merchandise I sold him for a little store he used to oun in Santiago at Calle General Cabrera "callejón del Mercado" was a nightmare for me as he never have the money to cash the check.

Today after working in the government PLD he is a multimillionaire.

JJ

Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yes it is, just an example of someone that I personally know on this list... Fernando Rosa, in 1994 he was so poor that for me to collect RD$1000. Pesos from him due a check without found he wrote for me paying a merchandise I sold him for a little store he used to oun in Santiago at Calle General Cabrera "callejón del Mercado" was a nightmare for me as he never have the money to cash the check.

JJ

I do know a lady who was close to Abinader and she was under the impression that when he was elected she would become rich. She got an OK job, nothing special, and still drives the same sh!tty little car and still apparently has no money.

I also know for a fact that it's much harder to slip money to get permissions from government departments. I popped in to a government department the other day and happened to get my purse out to look for a business card and the lady I was speaking to had a fit, screaming at me to put the purse away. She said there were cameras everywhere and if her boss saw me with my purse on the desk she would be sacked instantly.

So maybe things are changing.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

JJ
Felix Bautista is another excellent example.

Jan 9, 2004
Felix Bautista is another excellent example.
A poster child for how to go from a humble tailor to a listing as one of the most corrupt individuals in the world……courtesy of his election and affiliation with the PLD.

That is not to say the other political parties are without corruption, it is just that he seems to have been able to take it to a whole new level.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: bachata

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Yes, things have changed. But it's a large process to change the political attitudes what is knowing by politicos over the last decades of years. That's a reason why many members of the PRM are not happy with Luis, when he win the election 2020 all of them thought to get on the Gouvermenttrain and making there August.
Luis don't permit his members to use their position to stee lmoney, who got caught in the act, para fuera que va....
A member of my family belongs to the inner circle of Team Luis and he had to wait a year to got his place in the gouverment after elections. Now he is fine, he does a great job and enjoys all of the benefits which comes with this job.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I do know a lady who was close to Abinader and she was under the impression that when he was elected she would become rich. She got an OK job, nothing special, and still drives the same sh!tty little car and still apparently has no money.

This was a big problem and caused a lot of friction within the party at the beginning of his presidency. Many of them were under the impression they would be allowed to rape and pillage as much as possible.
"You mean tell me after sticking by your side for the last 15 years this is all I get?"

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I think it's time to start reducing those excessive benefits offered by government positions which makes then so desirable in the first place.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
This was a big problem and caused a lot of friction within the party at the beginning of his presidency. Many of them were under the impression they would be allowed to rape and pillage as much as possible.
"You mean tell me after sticking by your side for the last 15 years this is all I get?"

That's why Jorge Mera from Medio Ambiente is no longer with us.

Even more incredible is the guy who shot him couldn't grasp that he was being sent to jail for killing him

Reactions: CristoRey