Judy's Pet Lodge?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I think you are missing the point SKing. The post that started the thread is about bringing in rescued puppies to AAAS. This happens all the time where someone feels bad seeing a sick dog - they bring the dog in and drop it off at AAAS. They feel they have done their part. They are the rescuer of this animal and should thus be responsible for the cost and care of the animal. Instead they feel that by dropping it off they are done with their part and throw the whole cost and care of the animal on AAAS and its limited funds.

Please read my original post again maybe? These puppies were DUMPED in the garden of my friends. Those people have actually at the moment two adopted dogs in the house coming from the mentioned organizations in Sosua.

Aug 21, 2007
Acira, it has appeared over the years that you have great expertise concerning dogs. As a dog lover, I admire that. I believe in the recent past you have lived somewhat close to Judy's Pet Lodge. I also believe, if I am not mistaken, that you lived in the home of an individual who has been a very active supporter of AAAS.

Why, then, have you not offered your expertise to this organization? Or have you? Words on a message board are only words. And comparing and judging is for armchair experts. Actions and contributions speak volumes. I am sure AAAS would appreciate your donated time, experience, and expertise, if you have not yet afforded it.

Lindsey

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Acira, it has appeared over the years that you have great expertise concerning dogs. As a dog lover, I admire that. I believe in the recent past you have lived somewhat close to Judy's Pet Lodge. I also believe, if I am not mistaken, that you lived in the home of an individual who has been a very active supporter of AAAS.

Why, then, have you not offered your expertise to this organization? Or have you? Words on a message board are only words. And comparing and judging is for armchair experts. Actions and contributions speak volumes. I am sure AAAS would appreciate your donated time, experience, and expertise, if you have not yet afforded it.

Lindsey

If things were done the way they are done in a lot of non kill shelters in the States, meaning evaluating dogs and if necessary re-educating them, I might consider helping them out. This is also the reason why I never did it in Belgium by the way.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
If things were done the way they are done in a lot of non kill shelters in the States, meaning evaluating dogs and if necessary re-educating them, I might consider helping them out. This is also the reason why I never did it in Belgium by the way.

Could you please expand on this as I do not understand exactly what you are saying . Thanks.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Could you please expand on this as I do not understand exactly what you are saying . Thanks.

Thanks, I was going to ask the same thing!! Have you found out how things are done here? Or again is it an assumption? Find out the facts please before you make the judgement!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The follow up of adopters is pretty stringed and not just any body can just take out a dog out of there. Price cc US$ 50.
Adopting two cats in 2004 cost $325 from the local ASPCA/Humane Society.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Ok so leave the dogs on the street, I get it. BTW, I earn a good living, enough to take care of 2 dogs at least (maybe 3 as its almost July and that's time for raises at my hospitals) but I'm still not paying rd4000-6000 for some stray dog off the street with who knows what kind of background. If they don't like what people are "donating" then set a price and be done with it.
BTW, the OP stated that the puppies were dumped on his friends, they did not find them.

Now find me a Great Dane like Toby and I'll pay going rate! But that "be's" a fine specimen of a dog!

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Are you aware of how starved for funds such organizations are? Or were you just assuming something?

Perhaps a healthy donation would be helpful.

And instead of saying the local shelter doesn't "fit" your high expectations, maybe by lending your expertise to the local shelter you can make a policy impact.

Is AAAS a "kill" shelter (I have no idea)? Is that your misgiving?

I'm confused: you are against "kill" shelters, but were going to drop off two puppies without knowing what kind of shelter AAAS is? One would have thought a dedicated professional would certainly make knowing what the local animal/dog network is and how it works a highest priority.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Please read my original post again maybe? These puppies were DUMPED in the garden of my friends. Those people have actually at the moment two adopted dogs in the house coming from the mentioned organizations in Sosua.

So if they are dumped in the garden than they can be dumped at AAAS??? If the person is not financially supporting the animals and putting in personal hours with the animal at AAAS, is that not the same thing that the person who placed them in the garden did to your friends???

By the way it is very common here for puppies to be placed in your yard especially if you are known as an animal lover - in a weird way many locals feel they are giving you a gift by doing this.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok so leave the dogs on the street, I get it. BTW, I earn a good living, enough to take care of 2 dogs at least (maybe 3 as its almost July and that's time for raises at my hospitals) but I'm still not paying rd4000-6000 for some stray dog off the street with who knows what kind of background. If they don't like what people are "donating" then set a price and be done with it.
BTW, the OP stated that the puppies were dumped on his friends, they did not find them.

Now find me a Great Dane like Toby and I'll pay going rate! But that "be's" a fine specimen of a dog!

SHALENA
I have taken in two street dogs and have paid for all of their medical needs, including neutering (well, Jackie is next.) They are great pets!

Perla just walked in one day. Jackie was homeless, hanging around the golf course. We almost lost Perla early on, poisoned, and paid whatever it took to keep her alive. It was costly by Dominican standards.

If you have animals, you take care of them.

Last edited:

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
This post tells the world everything they need to know about you. Wow!!

SHALENA

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
I have had 3 puppies dumped in my garage today. They look healthy and are approx6 to 8 weeks old. There is 1 dog and 2 bitches. If anyone would like to adopt one or maybe 3 please pm me and you can come and see them. I already have 2 dogs and cant care for more. They are beautiful little pups

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010

get of your high horse for a minute,please
kids do have priority !
now if you are an animal lover as you say you are,you would not be on here taking shots

just simply doing what needs to be done
Manu

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

I'm glad, although I'm a little disappointed that you didn't figure me out earlier.
But I guess now that you know all you need to know about me I guess you've figured out that unless you sign my paychecks....I don't give a sh*t what you think.
Just like I wouldn't pay $500 for a used mattress from a garage sale and subject my kids to bedbugs, I wouldn't pay rd6000 from some stray and subject my kids to being mauled when some repressed abused memory surfaces, if that makes me bad, so be it. Methinks I am not the only one to feel this way but as always usually the only one with the guts to say (thats attributed to my "dont give a sh*t what you think attitude)

SHALENA

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
I have had 3 puppies dumped in my garage today. They look healthy and are approx6 to 8 weeks old. There is 1 dog and 2 bitches. If anyone would like to adopt one or maybe 3 please pm me and you can come and see them. I already have 2 dogs and cant care for more. They are beautiful little pups

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
Find out the facts before you make the judgement!!

get of your high horse for a minute,please
kids do have priority !
now if you are an animal lover as you say you are,you would not be on here taking shots

just simply doing what needs to be done
Manu

Manu - if you only knew how terribly wrong you are!! I can personally attest to what a phenomenal animal lover TWhitehead is. Not only have they taken in and continue to care for over 15 dogs from the streets of Sosua, but they also ACTIVELY participate in making sure that those that they cannot take home have food, medications and a little bit of love. They have been instrumental in getting many North Coast dogs adopted in other countries as well. They spend more time in one day in support of these needy animals than most people do in a month...or even a year!

We all have our own priorities - kids may be yours, dogs may be someone else's, but the key here is that there are a lot of ways to give...whether it be monetarily or with your time. We can choose to be a part of the solution...not just gripe about the problem! And yes, I do volunteer at AAAS...in case you're wondering!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Manu - if you only knew how terribly wrong you are!! I can personally attest to what a phenomenal animal lover TWhitehead is. Not only have they taken in and continue to care for over 15 dogs from the streets of Sosua, but they also ACTIVELY participate in making sure that those that they cannot take home have food, medications and a little bit of love. They have been instrumental in getting many North Coast dogs adopted in other countries as well. They spend more time in one day in support of these needy animals than most people do in a month...or even a year!

We all have our own priorities - kids may be yours, dogs may be someone else's, but the key here is that there are a lot of ways to give...whether it be monetarily or with your time. We can choose to be a part of the solution...not just gripe about the problem! And yes, I do volunteer at AAAS...in case you're wondering!

Ok, you just said it, we all have our priorities and mine just happens to NOT be stray dogs. Does that mean I'm evil? NO. So his comment to me was uncalled for. I find it funny how so many people find soooooo much money and soooo much room for stray dogs when I have seen pics of half-starving appearing children on the streets of Sosua.
I could say that YOU GUYS are bad for choosing to help dogs over human children but I don't because EVERYONE HAS THEIR PRIORITIES....yours are animals, mine are children and pregnant women.
I wouldn't down you for your priorities

SHALENA