Jumbo POP.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Hands down THE worst supermarket I have visited in the dr.

Cramped : you actually have to manoeuvre your trolley around the corners of the alleys.......
+ the aisles are nowhere wide enough.....
What kind of idiot designed this place ?

Poor selection : not a great variety, and also lots of " cheapo" stuff/brands.
The meat selection is enough to turn you instantaneously into a vegetarian.
The cheese selection is not all that better.......

Prices : i would say above average. Which coupled with all the above, is just a sad excuse for a supermarket.

Positives : first dominican bacon that i bought that was GOOD. Frozen packet stuff.
The bread was OK.
No problem to park lol........ but there again it was either an idiot or a blind guy who organised the parking lot and its entrance/exit........ on reflection it was probably a blind idiot.

That was my first shopping trip to POP in years....... needless to say it was the last..... i ll stick with santigo, lasirena and national are miles ahead of jumbo.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think there is only one current parking lot designer in the DR and he is indeed a blind idiot. Jumbo in POP is one of his better parking lots. Parking lots in general here were designed by someone who certainly never owned a car.

I feel your pain with Jumbo. I too expected much better than it is. Oh well. Maybe some day there will be something as good as a WalMart Super Store, but that day is way off.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think there is only one current parking lot designer in the DR and he is indeed a blind idiot. Jumbo in POP is one of his better parking lots. Parking lots in general here were designed by someone who certainly never owned a car.

I feel your pain with Jumbo. I too expected much better than it is. Oh well. Maybe some day there will be something as good as a WalMart Super Store, but that day is way off.
Jumbo is the La Sirena equivalent, as Target is the WalMart equivalent.

Jumbo is a click above Las Sirena, but several clicks below Nacional.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I am amazed that Jumbo is still open. I thought for sure it would have closed a year ago. Been twice and that is one time too many.
There is one good thing that did come about because of the store...the traffic light on the round about.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Jumbo is the La Sirena equivalent, as Target is the WalMart equivalent.

Jumbo is a click above Las Sirena, but several clicks below Nacional.

In POP, I don't actually see Jumbo as being above La Sirena.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I don't mind Jumbo. (how's that for an endorsement?) It's on the correct side of puerto plata for me, and it has most everything I might need. Could it be better? Sure. But I'm glad it's there.

It's a life saver to Playa Dorada residents, there is nothing else close by.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I know someone who travels on a regular basis from Cabarete to Jumbo in Puerto Plata. He's something of a foody and says he can get things like herbs and vegetables he can't get elsewhere. That's his opinion, not mine.

I find the toilets very convenient and clean if you need to go while passing through Puerto Plata.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
. i ll stick with santigo, lasirena and national are miles ahead of jumbo.

Living in POP, our supermarket for better things is Jumbo, but obviously, that does not compare to anything we would get in Santiago. Just last month, for the first time, we went to Nacional and the bookstore, and I clearly saw the difference. Nacional would be close to a good supermarket from there I come from. But POP is smaller market, and for things we need immediately, so cannot use Ebay, or any bread and related things, we go to Jumbo.

I'm glad you think the bread is "Ok", as that is the only supermarket in POP we use to get bread, no other place compares that what they have.

Yes, I fully agree with you on the width of the aisles, those are troublesome, but the building is very small. What I don't understand is that they got that huge lot, and the most of it is an empty parking lot. Even with the second building, there is way too much empty space. That could have been used for something smarter...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Living in POP, our supermarket for better things is Jumbo, but obviously, that does not compare to anything we would get in Santiago. Just last month, for the first time, we went to Nacional and the bookstore, and I clearly saw the difference. Nacional would be close to a good supermarket from there I come from. But POP is smaller market, and for things we need immediately, so cannot use Ebay, or any bread and related things, we go to Jumbo.

I'm glad you think the bread is "Ok", as that is the only supermarket in POP we use to get bread, no other place compares that what they have.

Yes, I fully agree with you on the width of the aisles, those are troublesome, but the building is very small. What I don't understand is that they got that huge lot, and the most of it is an empty parking lot. Even with the second building, there is way too much empty space. That could have been used for something smarter...
Nacional's are great wherever they are...which is in monied areas with many people who want imported food items.

Besides a few expats, how many in the POP area want and can afford what Nacional offers?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve never been to the Jumbo in POP. I’ve been many many times to the Jumbo on Luperon in Santo Domingo. For those of you who’ve been to both, how do they compare?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I’ve never been to the Jumbo in POP. I’ve been many many times to the Jumbo on Luperon in Santo Domingo. For those of you who’ve been to both, how do they compare?
Luperon seems to be bigger.

They seem to carry the same products, as the new Jumbo in La Vega does. Nice produce, though. Very nice. Meats are local meh.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What I don't understand is that they got that huge lot, and the most of it is an empty parking lot. Even with the second building, there is way too much empty space. That could have been used for something smarter...

Jumbo probably doesn't own the entire corner. It's called PAD Construction. Jumbo bought or leased their building pad from a developer. And other businesses will buy and build on the other pad sites. With Jumbo being the main Anchor tenant.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Jumbo probably doesn't own the entire corner. It's called PAD Construction. Jumbo bought or leased their building pad from a developer. And other businesses will buy and build on the other pad sites. With Jumbo being the main Anchor tenant.
CNN, the parent company of Jumbo, Nacional and other retail outlets, owns the property and leases it to their operating entities.

It's a common relationship.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Yes, I fully agree with you on the width of the aisles, those are troublesome, ..
Being on my last legs I use their little electric cart to get around Jumbo and they are adept at putting displays into the already too narrow aisles. There are times the cart will not fit and I have had to back up the length and go down the next one.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Does Jumbo in Puerto Plata bake their own bread?

One of life's little pleasures is grabbing hot bread just out of the oven at Jumbo Luperon.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Being on my last legs I use their little electric cart to get around Jumbo and they are adept at putting displays into the already too narrow aisles. There are times the cart will not fit and I have had to back up the length and go down the next one.

I have no trouble believing this. When I think of it, the aisle width there is close to the width on some supermarkets in Europe that are in city centers. There, the average cart size (if you will), is usually smaller than in a hypermarket where to where you go by car. La Sirena in Puerto Plata never has so narrow aisles (even with campaign displays) than in Jumbo, so that is definitely error in design. All I can think of is that they wanted to have a certain amount of variety there even though the building size is smallish.

Just to add: Quite a few people seem not to be able to grasp the concept of the double-traffic lights on Av. Manolo Tavarez Justo in front of Jumbo. Many times, when we depart from the parking lot, when it's green for us, we get angry looks from the drivers on the main street, as they think we're entering on red, where in fact they have completely missed the first traffic light, which is red. I just call that a too complex structure to understand for many...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I like Jumbo and the parking lot is 5 times better than La Sirena which is cramped, often full, no room to turn in the isles but both have too narrow parking stalls as every lot here is designed as a compact space (less than 9')
Jumbo's meat is good, (way better than La Sirena), the premium ground pork and beef (Ternera) at Jumbo are good, as is the Angus beef. The pre-grilled chicken is tasty.

Yeah the prices are outrageous - Walmart would sell everything Jumbo sells for half of what they sell it for and some things even lower than that.

Their appliance selection is good, they have motor oil, Pita Bread, light bulbs, tools, etc and a good selection of cheeses and often very good specials on liquor and beer.

Someday their will be a Walmart here? I doubt it because the DR would tax them out of their business model - which should remind us - where in the US or Canada are groceries taxed ? - well they certainly are here in DR - if you can't (or won't) exist on one plate of rice and beans and a scrawny chicken leg once a day then you will definitely spend at least double on food in DR than your North American home country

NelleG

Jan 2, 2018
Made my first trip to Jumbo in Punta Cana coming from Bayahibe. I had forgotten about this thread and did not know what to expect when we went in. We had parked at the mall next door (think iKea) and walked over. Glad I did. Small parking lot and a lot of cars. Same scene inside. A little of everything, none of it anything to write home about. We ended up getting a few items for breakfast and then got some empanadas from a street cart in Bayahibe when we got back. Not in a hurry to go back.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I like Jumbo and the parking lot is 5 times better than La Sirena which is cramped, often full, no room to turn in the isles but both have too narrow parking stalls as every lot here is designed as a compact space (less than 9')
Jumbo's meat is good, (way better than La Sirena), the premium ground pork and beef (Ternera) at Jumbo are good, as is the Angus beef. The pre-grilled chicken is tasty.
Interesting. Angus in the POP Jumbo.

Unless things are changing I've never seen Angus beef in a Jumbo. That seems to be in Nacional.