Just finished pig...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Was slaughtered at 1 pm and just finished sorting it out - our worker, Tuly, has refused to kill another that we have for 2 years as he had become very fond of her......... nah, Dominicans don't care about animals!

Mar 2, 2008
Or you could have Whirlybird cook it for you.

It's very good, reasonably priced, and delivered covered in banana leaves.

Can't beat it with a stick.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Bbq'd piggies is what we do..... however this was a big one and has now been jointed and in the freezer but our worker says he will not kill again when it's one he has grown to love...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
How ya gonna cook it?

Here is a good site on how to do a Pig Roast:

Three Guys from Miam Pigroast! The Best Way to Roast that Hog!
That's a sort of take-off of the Chinese Oven.

Years ago my best friend, a second generation Cuban, invited me to Miami for Christmas. The highlight was Christmas Eve at his Uncle's house, the location of the traditional pig roast.

What an edumacation in culture! Turns out that in the community, he who roasts the pig has that responsibility for many years, and when he (male persons) decides to "retire", he recruits the next family member to take over, the passing of the baton. The roasting of the pig takes a full day of prep, marinating, cooking, basting and keeping the fire going ~just so~.

This was the year for the "new" young guy to take over, to specifically learn the ropes. And the challenge is to do it while all the male family members ply the newbie with copious amounts of alcohol. OK, the initiation takes TWO Christmases...

Great memories...and what a yummy pig!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
That's a sort of take-off of the Chinese Oven.

Years ago my best friend, a second generation Cuban, invited me to Miami for Christmas. The highlight was Christmas Eve at his Uncle's house, the location of the traditional pig roast.

What an edumacation in culture! Turns out that in the community, he who roasts the pig has that responsibility for many years, and when he (male persons) decides to "retire", he recruits the next family member to take over, the passing of the baton. The roasting of the pig takes a full day of prep, marinating, cooking, basting and keeping the fire going ~just so~.

This was the year for the "new" young guy to take over, to specifically learn the ropes. And the challenge is to do it while all the male family members ply the newbie with copious amounts of alcohol. OK, the initiation takes TWO Christmases...

Great memories...and what a yummy pig!
and if you have just bbq'd a pig you cannot just jump in the river or the pool or it may kill you
!!!

May 29, 2006
He will kill no swine before its time....

Some people will get this, most, no so much...

A whole pig feeds about 60-80 people so its worth the effort...

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I worked at a restaurant where we would roast about 4 whole pigs a year, usually in the 80-100 pound range. Keeping them whole made the skin keep the moisture in and the skin would be crisp and yummy. You didn't need any spices really and we would just pick the meat off with our fingers. We'd cook it for like 12 hours... mmm so good.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Are pigs roasted throughout the year, or is it better at certain times? I've been tempted to ask a Caribe Tours bus driver to stop everytime I pass the roasted pigs along the highway north, before the turn off to SFM. God do they look yummy!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Are pigs roasted throughout the year, or is it better at certain times? I've been tempted to ask a Caribe Tours bus driver to stop everytime I pass the roasted pigs along the highway north, before the turn off to SFM. God do they look yummy!

Whole roasted piggies are great at any time of year... we have cooked them over our large open fire bbq from approx. 25 lbs in weight for a small get-together up to 120 lbs for a wedding with 80+ guests.

May 29, 2006
Whole roasted piggies are great at any time of year... we have cooked them over our large open fire bbq from approx. 25 lbs in weight for a small get-together up to 120 lbs for a wedding with 80+ guests.

Can you post some pics of your grill set up?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Whirleybird you should post pictures to make our mouths water!!! I'd love some lechon right about now yummmmm

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Can you post some pics of your grill set up?

Not exactly an 'elegant' set up but does the job authentically and, apart from the lush flavour and moistness of the pork, the marinade both inside and out (which is Margo's secret recipe) is all important.

a2rk0.jpg

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Lechoncito or a whole big pig,
they are good and available all around the year,
no special season needed,
even that x-mas is the one for sure time of the year to get it done, lol.
and keep away the doggies,
i love to grab a ear myself, ha ha.
we do it exactly the way shown on the foto of Whirleybird,
an hole in the ground, some metal plates on the side to not get too much wind in wich would burn the charboil too fast, not perfectly Cuban done like in the little chinese oven of my Cuban partner Robert(only good for Leconcitos of max 40lbs), but always yummie and i leave the sasoonin recipe to him, someting those Cubans know well about, lol.
a mayor part of doin is anyting the DOING,
starting early morning and turning it by hand all day long with one hand on the handle and the other hand busy with a drink, a whole day of fun with friends and a great meal afterwards.
cheers
Mike