Just out of curiosity, Who are the biggest spenders when here on Holiday?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
back to the OP

As a European I am more used to prices including 19% taxes and about 10% in tips (it says so on our menus) so I do tip but rarely more than 5% of the bill in Europe.. to me that accounts for a tip of approx 15%..

Now when in the DR I usually take the approach that others in my company do.. and in my experiences this varies.. sometimes people tip generously sometimes they don't..

I found that people of so-called higher socio-economic status are expected to tip more than people of so-called lower socio-economic status.. just like in Europe really..

When I am the one who decides the tip I look at the bill first.. if it only represents the prices shown on the menu without adding 10% +16% the tip will be around 10-20% of the bill depending upon the service.. if 10% + 16% are added to the bill the tip is around 0% to 10% ... it will be low especially if the taxes result in price levels for food/drinks that would be above the norm for such a service (so relative pricing plays a role here too)..

Sometimes you come across places where they state prices include itbis and 10% service charge and they will try to add it to the bill again.. in those cases I subtract the amount and leave no tip.. call me mean

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Being an anglo-canadian, I usually delight in making fun of Franco-Canadians, however having traveled to numerous countries as a member of the Canadian military with my French Canadian brothers in arms, I have noticed that they are usually generous tippers and good spenders. This may only apply to the military guys, but thats been my observation. And no, it isn't the governments's money they were spending.
My wife, who is Dominican, insists that i tip and then tells me i'm leaving too big a tip. We make a point of putting the tip in the hand of the person we want the tip to go to.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This is all very interesting but?

When I started this thread I had in mind people leaving behind there money such as purchase's......Example Real Estate, Tours, Buying clothes, Timeshare purchase's , Gambling Etc. ?

Gringo