Justifying drinking curfews...

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
actually quite a few poeple would be bothered by it, and affected by it.

think of it..

if a bar has to close 4 hours earlier..... that means the staff are working less, and taking home less money, so they have less to spend on groceries, and basic neccesities, and whatever else they spend thier money on.

the employee and the family take a direct hit. then the businesses where they spend thier moeny take a direct hit.

lets also not forget the hit that the alcohol manufacturers are going to take. thats a LOT of booze. when we factor ever bar, club, disco, in the DR, add up how much alcohol gets consumed hourly, multiply it times four, and cut that income right now..

people can lose jobs. business will hurt.

take a simple place like sosua. look how many tourists are there drinking between midnight and 4 am.

now tell them they cant.

1. you have a bunch of unhappy tourists who may find another place to tour.
2. yo uhave lost income at the business.
3. you have lost hours.wages for the employees.
4. yo uhave lost alcohol sales, which affects the manufacturer, the trucking company, etc..
5. you have lost sales tax

man.. even for JUST sosua... thats a LOT of lost revenue. just from one weekend alone.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
...take a simple place like sosua. look how many tourists are there drinking between midnight and 4 am...
Yes, that might translate into less mongers In Search Of a Chica at night... Indeed, the whole universe is collapsing for them...

Keep in mind however that most tourists are regular folks who do regular daytime activities... DR tourism industry is not really affected by loosing the tiny minority of those drinking themselves to oblivion between midnight and 4am... They might have to re-schedule their chica-search ;)

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Although I think the real reason for the curfew is so that the police can carry out their illegal activities in peace all night long without the pesky citizen's underfoot, I am very happy with the results so far, the nights are nice and quiet for sleeping, as they should be.

And as long as you buy your alcohol at a reasonable hour and drink it at home with friends and family it does not affect a normal person in the slightest.

It does keep drunkass idiot cowboys from driving their boomboxes through residential areas at all hours of the night and the loud block parties with thumpedy-thumpedy and plinky-plinky music generally end at a reasonable hour.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
As Extreme reported the "proposed" curfew will not go into effect.

to Squat: I am from a barrio in Santiago called Buenos Aires. In that barrio people listen to loud music and drink beer anytime of the day/week. Last time I checked they don't have colmadones in Buenos Aires but if they did I am sure it will be packed. People don't care. So I don't know what you are talking abou when you say people will appreciate this. Which people? Certainly not the barrio people.

And in reference to the bars/clubs - there aren't any in barrios and the ones I visit aren't next to someone's house...Moma and Camus in Santiago for example.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
...People don't care. So I don't know what you are talking abou when you say people will appreciate this. Which people? Certainly not the barrio people...
I bet you don't live in your barrio anymore... Go and talk to people next time you come vacationing down here. You might be surprised how many folks living in the barrios are not your "typical barrio-tiguere caricature"... Some actually enjoy sleeping at night...

May 12, 2005
I think a good compromise could be that colmados,colmadones and licorias have to stop selling at 12. That does not prevent anyone from stocking up at 11:30 and going back to the house to party to the wee hours. Then clubs and discos could stay open until say 2 during the week and 4 on fridays and saturdays.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My biggest problem is with the principle of forced curfew being imposed by a bunch of corrupt, morally bankrupt people to the rest of the population.

The truth is that before there was any curfew most bars would end up closing about 2:00 AM or so simply because people just went home then there were a few places where the late nighters would go hang out. For instance in Cotui most everything closed relatively early (except for special occasions) and there was one place called "El Leon" that would open its doors about 2:00 AM and it was nice to go hang out there until you so pleased.

You have to wonder why such zealotry in enforcing THIS curfew while there is a drug selling point on almost every corner which they know about, protect and participate in and have no interest on closing down...and everyone know this is the real problem not people partying until late.

You want to reduce deaths? Curve the drug business or even easier why not just enforce helmet laws? I bet you a ton more people die from not wearing their helmets during accidents than from late night partying.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Funny, seems to me the people who are mostly disturbed by the new law are the people who don't even live in DR. hahahahaha
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Hmmm

I think a good compromise could be that colmados,colmadones and licorias have to stop selling at 12. That does not prevent anyone from stocking up at 11:30 and going back to the house to party to the wee hours. Then clubs and discos could stay open until say 2 during the week and 4 on fridays and saturdays.

I think this is already in effect. I recall in the campos of San Cristobal once trying to buy rum after midnight was impossible and had to pay someone to sneak out a bottle from their colmado....though i dont know why we needed to be sneaky about it as there is no one to enforce any type of curfew or arrest or fine anybody for selling me some Brugal....oh well.
I am with you, stock up on the goods and go back home to party in peace.
I do wish the clubs/discos were open later than 2am all week long... :bunny:

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ha ha ha

Funny, seems to me the people who are mostly disturbed by the new law are the people who don't even live in DR. hahahahaha
AZB

I think those who like to come vacation to DR are dissapointed that a curfew is in effect...i was totally shocked to see that happen. I remember I was having a creat time in La Capital on La Venezuela and then all of a sudden lights went on and everyone go home.... :ermm:
I didnt even finish my bottle of whisky either so I was fortunate to be able to sneak off with it.
I know there are places that are open past curfew but as expected they upcharge everything. Anyone know why some or how these places actually stay open past curfew without getting in trouble. I recall one club in the Melia [by the Malencon] that was open all night. A bottle of Barcelo Rum cost me $2800RD [as opposed to $800RD at a licoreria]...crazy eh?
At least I had a great time there until the wee hours of the morning... :cheeky:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
wrong...

Yes, that might translate into less mongers In Search Of a Chica at night... Indeed, the whole universe is collapsing for them...

Keep in mind however that most tourists are regular folks who do regular daytime activities... DR tourism industry is not really affected by loosing the tiny minority of those drinking themselves to oblivion between midnight and 4am... They might have to re-schedule their chica-search ;)

Any "monger" worth his salt (no pun) should be busy humping by the time the bars close. Liquor does nothing good for the libido and the early bar hours are probably actually improving their "on-the-field" performance.

...and many are not "mongers" at all. Most are just A.D.D. affected "romance tourists". :cheeky:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I bet you don't live in your barrio anymore... Go and talk to people next time you come vacationing down here. You might be surprised how many folks living in the barrios are not your "typical barrio-tiguere caricature"... Some actually enjoy sleeping at night...

You are right. I do not live in the barrio anymore. And one of the reasons is because of all the messed up shyt that happens along with loud music playing hehehehehehehehe :cheeky:

Look basically what me and other vacationers want is a place where we can go hang out without disturbing anyone until whatever time we please. And to Suarez's point it is so true. These people want to impose a curfew when they are the ones who are the corrupted.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Look basically what me and other vacationers want is a place where we can go hang out without disturbing anyone until whatever time we please.
No problem, I understand your point, and agree you guys should have a decent place to hang out... I completely understand one has the right to spend his vacations the way he likes, as long as it doesn't disturb other folks...
(by the way, it's been a while I moved out of the barrio too ;) )

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I personally enjoy hanging out in the campos with friends and family. We dont bother anybody and or nobody complains when we do get together to have a good time. Every now and then it is nice to enjoy a god time in the countryside away from the loud, bustling city....but I need my fill of clubbing in la capital too :)
the hell with the curfews...as long as everyone can enjoy a good time without disturbing anybody I hope they get rid of the curfew down the road.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The hell with bars, the best parties are in-home parties. Light up the bbq grill, music, booze and a group of friends. Nothing beats that.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You tourist guys want good gozadera? Check out san gil and salento, colombia. small towns but the fun never ends. Oh and leave your wives in USA. hahahaha. me so bad.
AZB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Ha ha ha

You tourist guys want good gozadera? Check out san gil and salento, colombia. small towns but the fun never ends. Oh and leave your wives in USA. hahahaha. me so bad.
AZB

you are very bad! LOL
I agree with AZB, best parties are grills, home, music, drinks. great time with friends to be had!
I am making a note of these towns...hopefully I make it up north again and can enjoy a good time post curfew! LOL :cheeky::bunny::bunny:
and i am leaving the wife home! HA!

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The hell with bars, the best parties are in-home parties. Light up the bbq grill, music, booze and a group of friends. Nothing beats that.
AZB

Yep...I hear you. Pass the prune juice and the fiber plus crabcakes

Wondering if you're still picking up girls at PUCAMAIMA and UTESA or are you hanging out by the geriatric wing at HOMS these days? :cheeky:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Yep...I hear you. Pass the prune juice and the fiber plus crabcakes

Wondering if you're still picking up girls at PUCAMAIMA and UTESA or are you hanging out by the geriatric wing at HOMS these days? :cheeky:

I do not pick up girls in pucmm or utesa. it was an adia for new comers or tourists. Remember, I live here, this means I am considered young and you are considered over the hill in USA. Hahahahaha
Now if you really want to know what AZB is up to, do not look me in DR.
Think colombia (poblado, medellin), oh and i don't do prepagos.
AZB