Katmandu Park opens 15 March: family fun gets better in Punta Cana

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Screenshot-2023-02-14-at-8.48.09-AM-e1676378944751.png

The Spanish travel conglomerate Meliá introduces “resortainment” to Dominican tourism experiences. President Luis Abinader was in Punta Cana last week to inaugurate the first phase of the Katmandu Park Punta Cana. Melia promotes the amusement park as Latin America’s most modern theme park. The park opens to the general public on 15 March 2023.

Gabriel Escarrer, CEO of Meliá Hotels International, the leading investor, said that the first phase of Katmandu Park has called for an investment of US$80 million. US$90 million more will be invested in a second phase, for a total of US$170 million.

The amusement park offers interactive walkthrough attractions, 3D and 4D cinema with special effects, zip-line, slow-moving carrousel, mini-golf… to guests staying at the Falcon’s by Meliá Punta Cana, the country new “resortainment” facility. Among the attractions is the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Katmundu is open:

More expensive than Disney??

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In countries that have Disney or other amusement parks they also have highly regulated inspectors that have a regimented schedule to inspect all rides at these parks.
What does the DR have to keep these rides running safetly. I'm guessing pretty much nothing.
You couldn't pay me to get on a ride here. Life is short enough

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
In countries that have Disney or other amusement parks they also have highly regulated inspectors that have a regimented schedule to inspect all rides at these parks.
What does the DR have to keep these rides running safely. I'm guessing pretty much nothing.
You couldn't pay me to get on a ride here. Life is short enough
Watch the video. I don't think they have much there that could be classified as a "ride"

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
A big waste of money if you want my opinion. The photos looked larger than life. The so called mountain is about as high as a Royal Palm.

$120usd per adult...$85usd per kid...should make this an empty venue for years to come.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Who the hell will pay $125USD for one adult to attend. If your bringing family of 4 including admission/meals/junk to buy ... You are looking at least $1,000USD just for one day. A small park just for that? Nah, I'll passs

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Interesting comments for sure. That is a lot of money for a ticket, so it may be a "one time" thing for some. I know of family friends that look for attractions their kids may like, most opt for resorts with waterparks. Not sure any of them would be interested in visiting Katmandu.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I actually looked into going, and staying in the nearby resort, around opening.
The prices are insane, so nope not going.

However, now that DR1 has opened my eyes to the non-wokeniss -- like wtf, is that even a thing ? -- I will gladly go and throw fistfuls of money at Katmandu, I might even wear my andrew tate t-shirt, like real men do...........( /s for the slow ones, the old ones, the drunk ones and the ones who still listen to Joe rogan's podcast 🤣🤣🤣🤣).

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Place is overrated to be honest it's terrible will be an eyesore within 2 years...
I wonder if many posting here realise how ugly the highway is from the round about at Punta Cana all the way to Hard Rock and how ugly the almost parallel road is where this amusement park has been built . There has been no town planning but a series of businesses plonked wherever they want often with neighbouring blocks full of building debris. I suppose in 20 or 50 years it will all pull together but I fully understand why the millions of AI hotel guests prefer to stay within their high gates and fences.

Jan 9, 2004
Who the hell will pay $125USD for one adult to attend. If your bringing family of 4 including admission/meals/junk to buy ... You are looking at least $1,000USD just for one day. A small park just for that? Nah, I'll passs

Who will or will not pay is something they are going to find out rather quickly.

It is interesting to note that their sister park in Spain charges around 30.00 USD for an adult.

I am not sure they can sustain their investment on the average budget AI traveler.

Of course, time will tell, but it appears they may need to re-adjust those ticket prices quite significantly.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
So...
If the good folks at Melia are hoping that the A.I. crowd in Punta Cana can be persuaded that there is more to PUJ than just beaches...
Good luck to them.
I think it is a fool's errand.
Is Manatee Park still open?

Reactions: Lucifer and PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They are planning a shuttle service from Starbucks to Katmundu for all the "wanna be seen people". Free with one cappacino [large only]..............

• Haha
Reactions: Lucifer

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I can't believe they have a "Mirror Maze" that a person tries to walk through without bumping into themselves. Holy shades of 50 yr old county fairs!

Reactions: Lucifer