Katmandu Park opens 15 March: family fun gets better in Punta Cana

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I have seen this close up, though not when open. Comparing this to Disney is like comparing your local Gua Gua to the Concorde................
You're being conservative. I'd be even more specific on the guagua bit:

It's akin to comparing the Concorde to a guagua voladora, the kind that makes frequent stops and with no AC, and the cobrador is hanging on to the door (non-existing) frame, as he yells the route to potential riders at the various points around Duarte con Paris...

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Who the hell will pay $125USD for one adult to attend. If your bringing family of 4 including admission/meals/junk to buy ... You are looking at least $1,000USD just for one day. A small park just for that? Nah, I'll passs
Melia's prices for everything have gotten crazy. I'm eally not sure what they're doing across the board, but after accidentally staying at their "wellness resort" concept with sky-high prices, an emphasis on wellness activities, smoothies, and super small food portions (caprese salad with three mini mozarella balls and three cherry tomatoes) I would be happy to steer clear of all things Melia for the foreseeable future.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Amusement parks in the RD are a big gamble. Some have been constructed but not opened. Others opened and then have a short life. A former one many years ago in Bavaro was constructed, never opened because its construction was for money laundering. Two Cuban brothers who cheated the US out of Medicare money were responsible for the latter.

Hope Katmandu succeeds. However, its forebears say different.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
BTW, the video I posted shows each of the attractions and what they do.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I always wonder why the DR doesn't have a traditional amusement park. Guatemala has one and that one survives on the locals since it's hardly visited by tourists. How can Guatemala, which is poorer than the DR, is able to have one while the DR doesn't have one?

Virtual tours of the Guatemalan amusement park is possible in Google Earth. Simply search for Xetulul. Why exactly can't the DR have something like this? It could be an exact copy since most visitors to the Dominican one will never visit the Guatemala one. lol

I think the Dominican government should create one, maybe with a public-private partnership since that is quite popular at the moment. If it wasn't for the Dominican government there would be no botanical gardens, no zoo, no a lot of things. In the USA the oldest amusement park I think is Playland in Rye, NY and that one I think is owned by Westchester County government. Its easy now to say Disney, Universal, Six Flags, et were all created by the private sector, but who is to say if the government wasn't involved in creating the first amusement parks the ones by the private sector would had been created? Many times a government creation simply existing inspire others to mimic and create something better, not always the other way around. If its never created by the government, chances are high it will never be created by the private sector either.

Last edited:
Reactions: JD Jones

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I always wonder why the DR doesn't have a traditional amusement park. Guatemala has one and that one survives on the locals since it's hardly visited by tourists. How can Guatemala, which is poorer than the DR, is able to have one while the DR doesn't have one?

Virtual tours of the Guatemalan amusement park is possible in Google Earth. Simply search for Xetulul. Why exactly can't the DR have something like this? It could be an exact copy since most visitors to the Dominican one will never visit the Guatemala one. lol

I think the Dominican government should create one, maybe with a public-private partnership since that is quite popular at the moment. If it wasn't for the Dominican government there would be no botanical gardens, no zoo, no a lot of things. In the USA the oldest amusement park I think is Playland in Rye, NY and that one I think is owned by Westchester County government. Its easy now to say Disney, Universal, Six Flags, et were all created by the private sector, but who is to say if the government wasn't involved in creating the first amusement parks the ones by the private sector would had been created? Many times a government creation simply existing inspire others to mimic and create something better, not always the other way around. If its never created by the government, chances are high it will never be created by the private sector either.
An amusement park for the DR is an interesting idea. However, these park types require huge *investments in construction, heavy maintenance, staffing, and promotion. The end result is that without government subsidies to offset general public ticket prices the poor could not afford a visit.. It is investment money better spent to assist the needs of the public Parks like the national zoo and botanical gardens are static operations, requiring less staffing, little or no need of high maintenance or crowd control, reasonable ticket prices, and less opportunities for big scandals.... *thinking of the Punta Catalina albatross.

Regards,

PJT

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
An amusement park for the DR is an interesting idea. However, these park types require huge *investments in construction, heavy maintenance, staffing, and promotion. The end result is that without government subsidies to offset general public ticket prices the poor could not afford a visit.. It is investment money better spent to assist the needs of the public Parks like the national zoo and botanical gardens are static operations, requiring less staffing, little or no need of high maintenance or crowd control, reasonable ticket prices, and less opportunities for big scandals.... *thinking of the Punta Catalina albatross.

Regards,

PJT
If you’ve been to any of them lately, low maintenance is an understatement.

The zoo used to be decent. No more. Good thing they don’t charge much.

If the aquarium is government owned, it very much reflects where the money is going.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Wasn't there an amusement park (smaller version) in Santo Domingo at one time? I could have sworn I took the kids there.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A friend of mine who was a retired professional wrestler did a water park in Los Frailes many years ago. It was pretty popular and was always packed when we used to go.
He had to close it because the electric bill every month was more than he took in on tickets.

Reactions: keepcoming

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Place is overrated to be honest it's terrible will be an eyesore within 2 years...
Within 2 years?
That's being very generous.
On the subject of amusements and eyesores, what about all the God-awful ferris wheels that are popping up all over the place.
It seems as if every major city feels the need to sully their skylines with a bloody wheel.
Keeping it real (dr related), I think Santo Domingo has its own.
Horrible way to disfigure the personality of a city.
Visual pollution.
One of my pet peeves.

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Within 2 years?
That's being very generous.
On the subject of amusements and eyesores, what about all the God-awful ferris wheels that are popping up all over the place.
It seems as if every major city feels the need to sully their skylines with a bloody wheel.
Keeping it real (dr related), I think Santo Domingo has its own.
Horrible way to disfigure the personality of a city.
Visual pollution.
One of my pet peeves.
Hah!

Ferris wheels are as cool as those artificial, lighted palm trees.

Years ago, during Christmas season, the mayor of Higüey ordered the installation of artificial palm trees with lights all along "el bulevar".
One the installers proudly told me that only Higüey and Miami had such trees. I didn't laugh.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Los Delfines water park outside SD was amazing when it opened. I don’t know if it lasted much more than a year or two before it shut down. Now it’s rusting and ghastly.

The alternative is the Agua Splash, which remains open. But it’s almost as ghastly as the closed Los Delfines. Complete with murky water and non-functioning water pumps.

Playabavaro

Aug 19, 2020
Canada/punta cana
I have seen this close up, though not when open. Comparing this to Disney is like comparing your local Gua Gua to the Concorde................
Lol i have to agree ,just passing by it is a nightmare the main road is full of holes and always jammed with traffic oh and when it rains lol it floods .The park itself looks cheap.

Reactions: chicagoan14
Jan 9, 2004
Katmandu has again offered its Kids Go free (4-12) promotion for the month of May.

Even with the promo rate, people who have actually gone there are indicating it is still way over priced.

Hopefully, they will find a successful price point before the all important summer tourist season begins in late June......and certainly before high season in December......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Katmandu has again offered its Kids Go free (4-12) promotion for the month of May.

Even with the promo rate, people who have actually gone there are indicating it is still way over priced.

Hopefully, they will find a successful price point before the all important summer tourist season begins in late June......and certainly before high season in December......

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I go by here all the time. It is a Ghost Town.......................No price will save this place.........

Reactions: PCMike