Kembe La

M

mountainannie

My area here in Florida - Lantana - in Palm Beach County -is filled with Hatians from St, Marc - where I lived back in '79. Late last night, just before closing, I was in a local supermarket at the checkout and three Haitians were speaking Kreyole to the clerk. I leaned in - as I always do when I hear Kreyole - which I do not speak but often strain to understand.. I guess I was staring - and they looked back with suspicion. I broke out my French - and explained that I had lived there...

There faces were immediately wreathed in smiles... since most of the Haitians here are well educated in the perfect French of Haiti. I am often sad that there are so very many of them here - when Haiti needs ALL of them there... But.. well..

As I left them, I saluted them with one of my few Haitian Kreyole phrases "Kembe La" - "Hold the line"

I left one of my bags at the check out counter and the clerk ran out to me in the parking lot, crying "Madame, Madame...." ..

This morning,, I found this poem - "Kembe La"

Reactions: KellaDR
S

Sosua Sonny

Why would someone do this? Sounds like the work of the devil…

U

USA DOC

.....Annie you are right about them needing those people back in Haiti....The one they need the most...is the missing President......

bridgeinparadise

Oct 20, 2019
Thanks for posting. I can't imagine how difficult it is for Haitian ex-patriates, not able to send support or help, but also grateful to not be there.