Kid with double nationality: how do we get her out?

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Should not have any problems!

To the OP,

I was born in the Dominican Republic, and I am a naturalized U.S. Citizen, and travel to and from DR with an American Passport, and I have never had a problem. I also do not have to purchase any tourist card in D.R.

When travelling on American Airlines from N.Y. to D.R., they announce on the plane that those passengers born in the Dom. Rep., regardless of their citizenship status, do not have to purchase a tourist card, and are instructed to complete a form (cannot remember the name), that is obtained from the flight attendant. There was a time, that it appeared as if I was the only passenger that needed that form.

I have not heard the announcement on Continental, but the flight attendants take care of it. They ask (maybe only some passengers) where they were born, you say D.R., and you get the form for nationals to complete prior to landing.

Again, I don't see any reason for a second passport or any concerns. However, if you are so concerned, then carry the child's birth certificate with you....

MeDominican

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thank you all for the great help. It is nice to know that the solution is simple, straightforward and rational. Commonsensical Dominican bureaucrats... whowouldaknown?

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
NotLurking said:
Please note that the only way a foreign passport can list your place of place of birth as Dominican Repuplic is if a DR birth certificate was presented to the proper authorities BEFORE the passport is issued. Hence flagging the owner of the passport as a Dominican citizen by birth.

NotLurking

This statement is not correct. All I needed to do was show my Naturalization Certificate from the US, that says where I was born to the Post Office. When I applied for US citizenship, I did not have to show Dominican Birth Certificate either, they already had this information from my Visa/Green Card application. If by "proper authorities BEFORE...." you are implying way way back when I was seeking to travel to the US for the first time then your statement is correct.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Stodgord said:
This statement is not correct. All I needed to do was show my Naturalization Certificate from the US, that says where I was born to the Post Office. When I applied for US citizenship, I did not have to show Dominican Birth Certificate either, they already had this information from my Visa/Green Card application. If by "proper authorities BEFORE...." you are implying way way back when I was seeking to travel to the US for the first time then your statement is correct.

My statements are 100% correct! ...please re-read my post! Whenever you legally traveled to the US you HAD to show your birth certificate to the proper authorities BEFORE you were allowed legal entrance. Even if you entered the US illegally, at some point you corrected your immigrant status. Hence providing proper ID and a birth certificate to the proper authorities BEFORE your immigration status could be updated to legal alien. Once your status of US resident alien became legal, there isn't much need for you to carry a birth certificate - since all your information has been verified and entered into your record.

As to your naturalization certificate, it lists your place of birth because that information was extracted from your original BIRTH CERTIFICATE (or legalized copy) by the PROPER AUTHORITIES BEFORE your N-400 is approved and you are ultimately naturalized. Again, the ultimate authoritative document on DR citizenship status is a DR BIRTH CERTIFICATE!!!!!!! (for a dominican by birth - Jus Soli)

If there is something you don't understand, please ask a direct question.

NotLurking

Last edited:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
NotLurking,

I am going by what you said "Please note that the only way a foreign passport can list your place of place of birth as Dominican Repuplic is if a DR birth certificate was presented to the proper authorities BEFORE the passport is issued." Maybe is a matter of comprehesion on my part. From your statement I understood that in my case, I had to show my DR birth certificate when I went to the post office to get my US Passport, which is not the case. This is why at the bottom of my statement I said this "If by "proper authorities BEFORE...." you are implying way way back when I was seeking to travel to the US for the first time then your statement is correct." I don't have a direct question for you or the board, I just wanted to clarify what you meant by your statement.

Thank you.

Roberto

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Pib said:
Thank you all for the great help. It is nice to know that the solution is simple, straightforward and rational. Commonsensical Dominican bureaucrats... whowouldaknown?

Actually there is no reason why your child shouldn't have a DR passport. Just use the DR passport to exit/re-enter DR and use the Danish passport to enter/exit Danmark.

I have two passports and that's exactly what I do when I fly to my home country.

Have fun !