Killing wetlands to give way to tourism development?

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Secan-humedal-al-norte-Samana-Diario-Libre-869x1024.png

Environmentalists suspect commercial interested parties ordered the dispersing of chemicals to dry out mangroves in wetlands on the north coast of northeastern Samana province. The chemical could have been Glyphospate spread by drones, the environmentalists speculate, as reported in Diario Libre.

The affected wetlands are located in an area of high interest for tourist development because the Ministry of Tourism is extending the road from El Limon for easy access to these beach areas.

Read more in Spanish:Diario Libre

20 December 2023

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cavok and AlaPlaya

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Is that in a national park? Scientific reserve? No? Private property? Yes? Nothing to see here.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
"Environmentalists" should go around the beaches in Las Terrenas and pick up the trash. Be usefull.
Don't pick it up. Educate those who dump their trashes all over. Don't ever enable them. Those trashes come from the barrios, and those guys are throwing everything anywhere as if there was no tomorrow. Don't enable them.

Reactions: Big and Seamonkey

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Don't pick it up. Educate those who dump their trashes all over. Don't ever enable them. Those trashes come from the barrios, and those guys are throwing everything anywhere as if there was no tomorrow. Don't enable them.
good angle!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Many, many folks have tried to do that in the past, believe me.

I remember one guy and his family in particular who chose to clean up a small section as well as educate the folks who lived there.

He came back a week later to see how they were doing and was surprised to see it looked even worse than before they cleaned it the first time.
There are areas where folks strive to keep it clean (mine is one) and there are others where it's a waste of time.

Reactions: AlaninDR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Educate them?
Better chance of seeing hell freeze over twice.

Those with money do whatever they feel like doing down here and no amount of complaining or crying about will make a difference. Sucks but thats how it is.

• Haha
Reactions: Squat

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Educate them?
Better chance of seeing hell freeze over twice.

Those with money do whatever they feel like doing down here and no amount of complaining or crying about will make a difference. Sucks but thats how it is.
There was a time when the DR was a very clean country and in cities like Santo Domingo you didn't see a piece of paper littering the streets. The point is that it once existed (less than 100 years ago,) so it's possible to bring Dominicans back to that if their is much work done to do that.

You can find many people (regular joes and even well known people such as Haydée Kuret de Rainieri) that will tell you how was the DR when they were kids.

There are places in the DR that are still very clean, many of them where the government has done almost nothing to that effect.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
There was a time when the DR was a very clean country and in cities like Santo Domingo you didn't see a piece of paper littering the streets. The point is that it once existed (less than 100 years ago,) so it's poasible to bring Dominicans back to that if their is much work done to do that.

You can find many people (regular joes snd even well known people such as Haydée Kuret de Rainieri) that will tell you how was the DR when they were kids.

There are places in the DR that are still very clean, many of them where the government has done almost nothing to that effect.
I've lots of stories from my ex-wife's aunt down in Cristo Rey. The DR was a much better/:cleaner country prior to when the USA started deporting Dominican criminals back to island in the late 70's/ early 80's.

Reactions: thompstr

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There was a time when the DR was a very clean country and in cities like Santo Domingo you didn't see a piece of paper littering the streets. The point is that it once existed (less than 100 years ago,) so it's possible to bring Dominicans back to that if their is much work done to do that.

You can find many people (regular joes and even well known people such as Haydée Kuret de Rainieri) that will tell you how was the DR when they were kids.

I'm always amazed when I go to Puerta Plata. Very clean city. Beats the shit out of Boca Chica (OK OK, that doesn't say much).

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Please bring the thread back to the original topic. It is veering away from destruction of wetlands.

Reactions: CristoRey

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Please bring the thread back to the original topic. It is veering away from destruction of wetlands.
I would say, to stay on topic, that it comes down to greedy upper class who builds like crazy to sell condos to those folks who dream about getting rich with AirBnB (it's like a religion here in Las Terrenas). People don't care, wetland or no wetland, they want the money. Their new god is AirBnB, they pray to it everyday believing it will give them eternal wealth. And about trash in DR, I get your answers, I agree mostly. We live in generation TETEO. Brain-dead drunk & stoned with extra loud music. What do we expect from those guys?

Reactions: AlaninDR