la moto o el moto

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I've had my spanish corrected as I say "la moto" as it's short "la motocleta". Like "la bici" is short for the "la bicicleta". However, a quick look at spanish dict, says it's "la moto".

Dominican dialect thing? I'll add to my dialect or at least, around this person. :)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
So what are you trying to understand? The word is la moto. It is not Dominican specific.

Can you expand a little or clarify what your question is about la moto?

Thanks.

user123

Aug 16, 2017
If the word ends with an "A" then it's probably gonna be "La", if not then "El". There are exceptions, but in most cases it's accurate.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the word ends with an "A" then it's probably gonna be "La", if not then "El". There are exceptions, but in most cases it's accurate.
Not as simple as that. The OP already explained that moto, although ending with o, is short for motocicleta so 'la moto' is correct (same logic as foto/fotografía). However, in the DR motorbikes are often called 'motor' which is masculine - maybe that's what is causing the confusion?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Not as simple as that. The OP already explained that moto, although ending with o, is short for motocicleta so 'la moto' is correct (same logic as foto/fotografía). However, in the DR motorbikes are often called 'motor' which is masculine - maybe that's what is causing the confusion?

Do you understand what the OP is asking? He said he says la moto and he had his Spanish corrected. What was corrected since la moto is correct?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@ Chirimoya

Okay I think I understand. Whoever the OP was speaking to expected him to say el motor which is correct too.

Got it......

@GringoRubio

moto and motor are different words

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
moto and motor are different words

I had to re-read my original post. I only used 'moto' and my question was: which is the correct gender 'el moto' or 'la moto'? (short for motocleta).

Now, I wonder if the person I was speaking thought I was saying 'motor' which would then definitely be 'el motor'. dunno. :unsure:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@GringoRubio

It’s feminine.

La moto....is correct all over the Spanish-speaking world.

Why did you say ‘a Dominican dialect thing’ in your first post?

BTW- it’s motocicleta

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@GringoRubio

Okay then I have a few questions:

1) Is this person a native speaker and what is their education level?

2) Is it possible that the person thinks you are trying to say motor which could also be pronounced as motol or motoi depending on the region in DR.

I am really curious to know the answer to question #1.

Last edited:

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Haitian aristocrat so French but no doubt a dialect of French. She speaks French, Creole, Italian, Spanish, and some English. She's been in the DR for 15 years.

I'm not certain about your advice. I speak with people all around the world every day, so to communicate effectively it's important to always tailor your speech to your audience.

Perhaps, from a pedagogical perspective, it makes sense to master one dialect of a language before including others.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@GringoRubio

That answers my question right there. She is not a native Spanish speaker or an educated bilingual (at least from your post. Of course, I don’t know her. Maybe she did do some Spanish studies). Show her any Spanish dictionary.

She is not correct. Why would you want to speak incorrectly especially for something so simple? A word like la moto. Then if this person corrects your grammar incorrectly you would follow that too?

You can tailor your speech to your liking but making mistakes knowingly is not logical or recommended. Of course you can continue speaking how you wish but then it is a reflection of your speech. If I meet you in person or see something you write I would think ‘why is this guy saying el moto?’

It always your choice in language to proceed as you wish but you asked the question and got the answer. Now it kind of makes me wonder why you asked if you know it’s incorrect.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
@GringoRubio

One more question:

What does this person say to Dominicans when they say la moto? Does she tell them they are wrong?

Can’t wait to hear your response.

Last edited:

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
My two cents: Because of Andalucian influence, the last word and especially the last harsh sounds are often eliminated in Spanish spoken around the southern hemisphere. It is possible hence that the person said "el motor" but without rolling the r, so it was not audible to the listener. Often times, I have found that seeing the word in writing, helps, obviously if the writer knows the correct spelling etc.

Reactions: GringoRubio

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
These are both correct:
•La moto
•El motor

Maybe the person thought you were saying "La motor".
Also bear in mind the way the OP pronounced it. If you say moto, the stress is on the first syllable. If you say motor, the stress is on the second syllable.