La Sirena Building Wholesaler On Sosua Property

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i talked to my source weeks ago she said size wise the shop is to be really big, at least comparable to POP. it surprised me back then because such a big shopping centre in sosua would make no sense. but an idea of a wholesale would require a big building for storage purposes...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
when i talked to my source weeks ago she said size wise the shop is to be really big, at least comparable to POP. it surprised me back then because such a big shopping centre in sosua would make no sense. but an idea of a wholesale would require a big building for storage purposes...

My thought also.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You may be right D.
Look at the size of PriceSmart in STI.... a city of 1MM people, then add up the population of POP, Sos/Cab.... big number.

Knowing how cost conscious many people on here are, watch them go for the 1 cent a pound savings -- maybe even 3 cents !!!
Then factor in the restaurants and hotels for bulk buying.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Sirena people aren't dummies are they ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe it is big enough to have a retail and a wholesale section? Then everyone, except the competition, can be happy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Def.... my guess is it's a Costco type operation..... storage and retail combined - 'big box' concept.

Think about how many people (like me) drive an hour or so to Playero every 2-3 weeks for a big buy shopping.
This would be easier

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if they decide on wholesale, i wonder how will they plan it out? business owners with legitimate RNC numbers? or any individuals paying yearly fees?

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Ok serious question for most of you. How often and what exactly are you getting at Pricemart? We have been here 18 months now and we have been once with friends that had a card when we where all coming back from a trip elsewhere on the island. I could see Pricemart would be useful for someone such as Seamonkey and business's like his when needed to get bulk pickles, ketchup, mustard and etc... But to me traveling all the way to Santiago to buy stuff in bulk that mostly can be had at La Sirena, Playero and Janets is not worth the extra fuel to me.

Ok serious question for most of you. How often and what exactly are you getting at Pricemart? We have been here 18 months now and we have been once with friends that had a card when we where all coming back from a trip elsewhere on the island. I could see Pricemart would be useful for someone such as Seamonkey and business's like his when needed to get bulk pickles, ketchup, mustard and etc... But to me traveling all the way to Santiago to buy stuff in bulk that mostly can be had at La Sirena, Playero and Janets is not worth the extra fuel to me.

They sell certain things you cannot get somewhere else on the NC , that is why we go not for a huge savings!
We used to go to Costco 3 times a week in Canada so if you are used to those type of items one may want to go to PriceSmart.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I don't think it is hard to understand. Santiago and Santo Domingo already has this service available for its bars, restaurants and hotels.

I think what La Sirena has in mind is a similar service for the North Coast. Sosua is more or less central, with POP on one side and Cabarete, Cabrera on the other. Lots of hotels and restaurants within that area. Plus I will be surprised if consumers are not also allowed to buy in bulk.

And of course putting a large distribution center RIGHT in the center of the main road with a wonderful increase in LARGE trucks coming and going will help Sosua. Not to mention that the lot is small and will not be able to support client parking and will have a difficult time with the big trucks just getting in and out.

GO look at the property before you give an opinion.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
They sell certain things you cannot get somewhere else on the NC , that is why we go not for a huge savings!
We used to go to Costco 3 times a week in Canada so if you are used to those type of items one may want to go to PriceSmart.
Well I guess maybe it will or maybe it will not appeal to us then as the nearest Costco/Sam's club was 90 miles from our house in the States and we never went, but thank you for your honest answer on the subject I do appreciate it.

I could see us maybe going once a year to get items like bulk paper towels, toilet paper and maybe ranch dressing for my daughter but that may be about it. I will reserve judgment and I wish the new store all the best here on the NC. Of course with a new store hopefully means more competitiveness with its counterparts and lower prices to all of us consumers.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Well I guess maybe it will or maybe it will not appeal to us then as the nearest Costco/Sam's club was 90 miles from our house in the States and we never went, but thank you for your honest answer on the subject I do appreciate it.

I could see us maybe going once a year to get items like bulk paper towels, toilet paper and maybe ranch dressing for my daughter but that may be about it. I will reserve judgment and I wish the new store all the best here on the NC. Of course with a new store hopefully means more competitiveness with its counterparts and lower prices to all of us consumers.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I think that it is important to identify the location and look at the area around it.

Google earth and copy/paste.

19?46'1.79"N 70?30'25.98"W

I'm amazed at this type of corp. thinking that comes down to................ NONE.

Has this been really confirmed by them?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Way too small of an area. Maybe going in further East, other side of the car wash would make sense.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I think that we should all just wait until it opens before giving an opinion, as of right now everything is just hearsay about what type of store Grupo Ramos are going to put there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think that we should all just wait until it opens before giving an opinion, as of right now everything is just hearsay about what type of store Grupo Ramos are going to put there.

tee, I see you have been a member since 2007 and have 393 posts. In that time you should have learned that on DR1 nobody waits for anything when there is an opportunity to give an opinion.

Participation on DR1 is as much (or more) for entertainment as for learning about the DR.