La Sirena to sell Corte Inglés products

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Corte-Ingles-La-Sirena-Listin-Diario-e1627305222119.jpeg

The famous Spanish store, El Corte Inglés is now selling its products here. The goods are available initially at 16 of the La Sirena stores nationwide but the plan is to distribute them to all the Sirena chain stores. La Sirena is the largest Dominican food chain store.

La Sirena announced it has reached an agreement with Vima Foods for the marketing of the goods. The Sirena says that to introduce the brand they will be selling a variety of the best of the El Corte Inglés Spanish food products.

Read more in Spanish:Listin Diario

26 July 2021

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
just keep the Heinz ketchup, Hellman's mayo, lee & perrins, prego sauce, and snickers/m&m's cominh

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Strange that a company selling Spanish foods should be called El Corte Ingles!
While the DR is getting only foods from them...

El Corte Inglés S.A. (Spanish pronunciation: [el ˈkoɾte iŋˈɡles])[4] headquartered in Madrid,[5] is the biggest department store group in Europe and ranks third worldwide.[6][7] El Corte Inglés is Spain's only remaining department store chain. El Corte Inglés has been a member of the International Association of department stores since 1998.[8][9]

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Corte Ingles in Spain is easily my favorite store anywhere. At the beginning of July every year they have a gigantic sale that lasts about a month. Prices are literally cut in half on many items. People line up for the first day.

Also as a foreigner every year I apply and get a 10% discount card on top of the great prices. They have some top of the line items also.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sounds kinda like the same thing as "Food Club" and "Top Choice" brands sold in local stores.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sounds kinda like the same thing as "Food Club" and "Top Choice" brands sold in local store
I have never been in those places so I cannot comment on them. But I spent a lot of time in CI. The store is gigantic. Three or four levels. You can find things there you would never see in any store. I cannot see La Sirena coming close for selling a few items comparable to Corte Ingles. They sell perfume for 400-500 Euro, or you buy perfume for 35 Euro. The selection is second to none.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I am sorry you were talking about brands not stores. No such thing at Corte Ingles. No discount type brands like that there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am sorry you were talking about brands not stores. No such thing at Corte Ingles. No discount type brands like that there.
They do have two lines of food products with the El Corte Inglés name, one is El Corte Inglés Selection and the other just the name. This food selection is also found in some chains in several Latin American countries (Soriana in Mexico, forgot which one in Peru, and a few other places).

Anyway, what doesn't exist outside Spain and Portugal is this.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I noticed the massive number of shoppers in that video. How could the sales people keep up? It appears to be like the dinosaur malls already doomed to extinction in the US.

A former poster on DR1 from Bonao who used to manage a famous bar on Cabarete Beach is liquidating dozens of such places as we speak in my home country. Malls of the living dead with 30 percent occupancy rates, I call them. Perhaps he will get the call to do the same in Spain where the rain falls mainly on the plain and they are certainly not immune from the pleasures and pressures of on line shopping. Yes I realize this is but one, albeit large, store, but the economics remain the same.

Anyway, such places as Cortes Ingles are becoming part of history. I would prefer a Home Depot, COSCTO and Trader Joe's to that overpriced stuff that people only buy when it is 50% off. Lovely as it looks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cortes Ingles is not very expensive for most of their lines. They do sell good men's shoes.
If they only sold good shoes in the DR. (Oh, I bet they do in Santo Domingo, but I'd rather buy online than shop there) . And rarely do they have my size. At 45 it isn't even that large a size, but rarely are they any in stock. Alas it does not seem the products of Cortes Ingles will extend to larger shoes sold in the DR.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I noticed the massive number of shoppers in that video. How could the sales people keep up? It appears to be like the dinosaur malls already doomed to extinction in the US....

. I would prefer a Home Depot, COSCTO and Trader Joe's to that overpriced stuff that people only buy when it is 50% off. Lovely as it looks.
It's called having disposable income. A huge difference between there and here.

And note the extensive variety of just about every item. Much different then going to the toothpaste section at any store here and finding shelf after shelf of Colgate and Crest and nothing else.

I can't believe I have to buy Arm & Hammer toothpaste on Amazon.

Oct 2, 2011
Peravia, Bani
For those who wants to know what Corte inglés means here in DR … it’s to say of a person with skinny legs very little behind and a big stomach. That’s what I heard since I was a child.
no offense to anyone cuz I look like one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

And note the extensive variety of just about every item. Much different then going to the toothpaste section at any store here and finding shelf after shelf of Colgate and Crest and nothing else.

I was being facetious about how vacant the store was in that video with so few people inside it. Virtually empty and ready for "the man" to liquidate it. Except when they put the prices down 50%, then of course it is packed and wonderful. Why not just drop the prices 50% and keep them there?

As for products in the DR? I order most everything on line. I could even get one LED light bulb cheaper by ordering it on Ebay than paying the markups on them here. I know exactly what you mean about toothpaste as well. Ridiculous the lack of selection and the price for those tiny little tubes, eh? What is up with that here in particular?

If La Sirena carries some of their products, it might be interesting to see what they are. As long as they are perpetually at that 50% off price, that is.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

This store is not in your area, but...

AhDFlp.jpg

Another one:

https://gomarket.com.do/products?br...Constanza&brand[]=pols+potten&brand[]=Verreum

I'm sure there are a few other places, because the import and distribution rights of Arm & Hammer in the DR belongs to one person who has nothing to do with the previous two.