Labor, employers and government agree on new minimum wage scale

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I recall having read this somewhere a while ago, but feel free to prove me wrong as well: I believe the DR is one of those countries where the difference in wages between management/owners and regular employees has been the most significant, even within South America? So that is to say that the money is there to pay these wages, but the management/owners rather keep all the money to themselves...
100% aGREED.

Reactions: MariaRubia

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Assumptions on your part, but I could have stated some Dominicans to make it clearer for those with a chip on their shoulder. I teach math.
Thank you Sir, not assumptions at all. Pure grammar .What did I expect from a math teacher... grammar?? The chip on your shoulder is as large as a cedar tree. That is the second time in one month you have said that in response to my posts. Not a problem, Mr. Saunders, at least you parsed your apology. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. OMG... they are teaching kids??

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you Sir, not assumptions at all. Pure grammar .What did I expect from a math teacher... grammar?? The chip on your shoulder is as large as a cedar tree. That is the second time in one month you have said that in response to my posts. Not a problem, Mr. Saunders, at least you parsed your apology. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. OMG... they are teaching kids??
No apology, and no reason for one. If I was writing an essay or a book I would worry about my grammar.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
These raises were needed.

Is there a chance of increased inflation ? yes , but that for the gov't economists to figure out how to keep it in check.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
These raises were needed.

Is there a chance of increased inflation ? yes , but that for the gov't economists to figure out how to keep it in check.
Inflation is for use to pay more for stuff.

At least that is how I look at it.

Let us see what tomorrow brings in that regard.

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
I am not against people making more money but it is small businesses that bear the brunt of government enforced pay raises. Some of our teachers deserve twice what they make and others deserve half of what they make.
This is a MINIMUM wage , you are free to pay double to the teachers that deserve it ( or pay bonuses and incentives as you see fit)
And as business operators if an employee doesn't meet our standards for even the the minimum wage then we should be seeking to replace them with someone at least minimally productive.

Reactions: MariaRubia

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
. People always have a choice. Their children can finish their education in free public school or another institution. Most of our clients have not lost their jobs and many receive money from the states or Europe as well. People that have genuine finacial issues and integrety come to you and plead their case and make every effort to pay. Our rates are very low, less than 2000 pesos per month.
I totally get Bob, I had a relative who ran a school, and it's a very tough thing to do. And Yes, people who do really want to pay, always figure out a way to do it, even with the pandemic. The ones who don't, were the same before the pandemic.

Bluenoser

Feb 26, 2019
I expect that some larger businesses may take advantage of the system and split their operations in order to be smaller so they fit into a lower category and can pay a lower rate. EG, a manufacturing company that has 180 employees may form several seperate entities. One for receiving, handling and prepping the raw materials, one for the actual manufacturing process, one for packaging, storage and distribution and one for the management and accounting end, thus having 4 companies, all of which have under 50 employees.

in Canada, and likely other places, there are a lot of part time positions, mainly because some years ago the government ruled that any employee that works more than 24 hours a week is entitled to benefits. Sick days, medical ins, pension plan, etc. Businesses reaction was to adapt to more positions of 24 hours or less.
Instead of having 10 people doing 40 hrs each, a business may have 1 full time manager, and 15 workers, each getting 24 hours a week.