Ladies Beware!!

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
I haven't posted for a long time but after reading this I felt I needed to.
care bear, I know exactly what you are going through. The only thing different in my story is he came to Canada and 8 weeks after being here he left one day. i came home from work one day and he was gone. i have not spoken to him since then.This was about 2 1/2 years ago and believe me things get better. I have moved on with my life and have found peace within myself.

if you would like to talk send me a pm.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I haven't posted for a long time but after reading this I felt I needed to.
care bear, I know exactly what you are going through. The only thing different in my story is he came to Canada and 8 weeks after being here he left one day. i came home from work one day and he was gone. i have not spoken to him since then.This was about 2 1/2 years ago and believe me things get better. I have moved on with my life and have found peace within myself.

if you would like to talk send me a pm.

No one ever believes me when I tell them that this type of thing happens. I wish other girls would be as honest as Canadiangirl about their marriages that go bad. It happens more than you girls know. These guys have friends living in Canada, who are in touch with them and teach them the ropes. You are merely a VISA in their eyes and will do anything to get out of the DR. I am sorry that this happens, but it does.

canadiangirl858

Oct 17, 2006
Charlielyn you are so right. When they get here they are well aware of their rights as they have a network here. They know immigration won't do anything to them. Unfortunately the sponsor is still responsible for them for 3 years. Even though I do not know where he is-if he applies for welfare I have to pay it back. My three years is up in Dec/08- I'll have my own little party. lesson learned the hard way.
These girls should think long and hard before starting a relationship and marrying these guys. It can be devasating financially and emotionally when it all goes bad.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Before we paint everyone with the same brush, the deal is that the divorce rate in Canada is what? 40? 50? %. Life is a gamble even if you marry within your own country, religion and culture. Just ask me or anyone else that is divorced and married within their own culture and language.

**** happens, that's life. Best to get to know someone in their own setting first but that is still no guarantee!!.

Reactions: drloca

dalila05

Bronze
Aug 9, 2008
republicadominicana.bbactif.com
i agree even mens from your own background,religion and country can treat you very badly!
mariage is like gambling,if you dont try you dont know if youy picked the right number!
i have being married for one month and i is too early to found out is i made the right choice,but i believe sometimes your own instintcs can tell if you are right or wrong!!

emmacaroline

Oct 26, 2008
Before we paint everyone with the same brush, the deal is that the divorce rate in Canada is what? 40? 50? %. Life is a gamble even if you marry within your own country, religion and culture. Just ask me or anyone else that is divorced and married within their own culture and language.

**** happens, that's life. Best to get to know someone in their own setting first but that is still no guarantee!!.

The divorce rate in Canada last year was 37%.

I would say marriage to these men is not a gamble, but russian roulette. And your right Anna, you can't paint everyone with the same brush, but I think you can paint most of them with it. Just my opinion....

More often than not, these women are being used and what happened to canadiangirl858 seems is becoming the norm and not the exception when it comes to Dominican/Canadian marriages. The guys who stay married to Canadian women in my opinion, do so not because they are in love with these women, but because they are content. I was reading a blog written by a guy who made to the US and he was saying that he's been married for 10 years and when his son is old enough, he's leaving his American wife. He said he needed a way out of the DR and she was it. People stay married for all sorts of reasons and many of these women think just because they've made it to the 5, 10, 15 year mark of marriage, they have the real deal....maybe they do...and maybe they don't. I guess the same could be said of all marriages.

As someone pointed out to me not so long ago, Dominican men with education and social standing don't bother with foreign women. So..it would seem that if the man needs you more than you need him, you should stop and think. If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

You only have to go look around the net and see the wedding pictures of these unions to see that most of these women are being taken for a ride. Some of the ladies fit the victim profile perfectly .... a little bit older than the groom, and in some cases, plain looking and a bit overweight. Not everyone fits this description, I know. But if you're dating a man who looks like the men who never give you the time of day in your own country, it got to make you wonder how sincere he really is....

I agree with Anna that you should spend some time with a person in their own setting. If you think you've got a good Dominican, go live in his country with him for a while and get to know him. I don't think travelling back and forth 3-4 times a year to see him for mini holidays is a good way to build a relationship. You need to see someone day in and day out. You need to see what makes them tick....their highs and lows. I wonder how many disasters could be avoided if some women took the time to get to know their significant other in this manner.

As for **** happens, that's life...well this is a bit more than ****, marriage for visa constitutes fraud and is illegal. Not only do these women get their lives turned inside out, but they have deal with the fact that not only has their marriage ended, their marriage was a lie from the get-go and in most cases, they are the last ones to know. Imagine dealing with the pain and humiliation of all that!

I applaud the women who come here and tell their stories. I wish more of you ladies would come forward so that maybe other women can stop and think before they act. Too many of these men are landing in Toronto and Montreal every other month and they have no right to be in our country. There are decent Dominican men but how many of them end up in our country???? Not too many I suspect.

Reactions: Berzin

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
The divorce rate in Canada last year was 37%.

I would say marriage to these men is not a gamble, but russian roulette. And your right Anna, you can't paint everyone with the same brush, but I think you can paint most of them with it. Just my opinion....

More often than not, these women are being used and what happened to canadiangirl858 seems is becoming the norm and not the exception when it comes to Dominican/Canadian marriages. The guys who stay married to Canadian women in my opinion, do so not because they are in love with these women, but because they are content. I was reading a blog written by a guy who made to the US and he was saying that he's been married for 10 years and when his son is old enough, he's leaving his American wife. He said he needed a way out of the DR and she was it. People stay married for all sorts of reasons and many of these women think just because they've made it to the 5, 10, 15 year mark of marriage, they have the real deal....maybe they do...and maybe they don't. I guess the same could be said of all marriages.

As someone pointed out to me not so long ago, Dominican men with education and social standing don't bother with foreign women. So..it would seem that if the man needs you more than you need him, you should stop and think. If it's too good to be true, it probably is!

You only have to go look around the net and see the wedding pictures of these unions to see that most of these women are being taken for a ride. Some of the ladies fit the victim profile perfectly .... a little bit older than the groom, and in some cases, plain looking and a bit overweight. Not everyone fits this description, I know. But if you're dating a man who looks like the men who never give you the time of day in your own country, it got to make you wonder how sincere he really is....

I agree with Anna that you should spend some time with a person in their own setting. If you think you've got a good Dominican, go live in his country with him for a while and get to know him. I don't think travelling back and forth 3-4 times a year to see him for mini holidays is a good way to build a relationship. You need to see someone day in and day out. You need to see what makes them tick....their highs and lows. I wonder how many disasters could be avoided if some women took the time to get to know their significant other in this manner.

As for **** happens, that's life...well this is a bit more than ****, marriage for visa constitutes fraud and is illegal. Not only do these women get their lives turned inside out, but they have deal with the fact that not only has their marriage ended, their marriage was a lie from the get-go and in most cases, they are the last ones to know. Imagine dealing with the pain and humiliation of all that!

I applaud the women who come here and tell their stories. I wish more of you ladies would come forward so that maybe other women can stop and think before they act. Too many of these men are landing in Toronto and Montreal every other month and they have no right to be in our country. There are decent Dominican men but how many of them end up in our country???? Not too many I suspect.

Well said, I could not have written it better.
Alot of people think that they are immune to this type of thing but they are being naive...
This can happen to anyone...
I applaud the ladies with the courage to tell their stories because on this board you hear alot of the "My marriage is wonderful!" and not enough of what we are hearing now.
SHALENA

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Difference between holliday and real life

Dominican men will not bother with foreign women because a foreign woman would have to match up with the type of girls that they move with in the DR to even catch their attention. Gringas that come up close to that quality already have cute men in their country lining up to meet them. They are not interested in foreign men either.

It is obvious that these guys (sankies) know how to pick an easy 'victim'

When you read some of these stories, one has to wonder how much time these women really spend to know these guys?

So a lady goes on vacation for 2 weeks and during the 'vacation mood', meets a resort worker who after 1 week tells her that he is in love with her and wants to marry her. Why are canadian men not wanting to marry you after meeting you for 1 week? How can such a decision be made after meeting someone for a week......while in the holliday mood?

So after 3-4 visits of a total of maybe 8 weeks or a bit longer (all in the holliday mood), the marriage is consumated. Yes, I know there is the near daily phone calls while you dream of him every night ;)but people can pretend to be what they are not behind the convenience of the screen of a phone line. Basing a decision to marry someone based only on an interraction while in the holliday mood is just a gamble. The real work of marriage starts when 2 people really get to know each other in their regular everyday setting. What of the difference in culture,language,communication etc.

The day you really start seeing each other in a regular everyday setting and start identifying the faults of the other partner,have the first couple of fights etc then you realise that the honeymoon of the 'holliday mood' relationship is now over.

Sholly

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Does all this shed light for anyone as to why the visa process for girlfriends/boyfriends/spouses is at times difficult? :glasses:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

More often than not, these women are being used and what happened to canadiangirl858 seems is becoming the norm and not the exception when it comes to Dominican/Canadian marriages. The guys who stay married to Canadian women in my opinion, do so not because they are in love with these women, but because they are content.

Not only do these women get their lives turned inside out, but they have deal with the fact that not only has their marriage ended, their marriage was a lie from the get-go and in most cases, they are the last ones to know. Imagine dealing with the pain and humiliation of all that!

What is your story? :cheeky:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
OK...

I need to get this off my chest!! The whole"why not date men from your own Country question?"

Heres my Answer, they make me sick, they are boring, there is no excitement, there is NO romance, they are shallow, a handful of girlfriends i know right now are in the process of divorce..it's a huge risk either way...so why not date someone exotic and have some excitement in your life?

Here's an example of how sick these guys make me, I have been speaking to a fellow "pure business" a dozen times within the last week, in regards to some legal documents....he happens to be in the neighborhood friday, and asks if he can come by to get the papers signed....i say sure, sooner the better... he had something else in mind....then confessed he "creeped" out my facebook page and was looking forward to meeting me!!

UGH!! I am the type of person that does not like to be pursued...I like a challange

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
and why do these Dominican guys leave their North American women? Because they are emotional wrecks, bossy, demanding, ...etc.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
OK...

I need to get this off my chest!! The whole"why not date men from your own Country question?"

Heres my Answer, they make me sick, they are boring, there is no excitement, there is NO romance, they are shallow, a handful of girlfriends i know right now are in the process of divorce..it's a huge risk either way...so why not date someone exotic and have some excitement in your life?

Here's an example of how sick these guys make me, I have been speaking to a fellow "pure business" a dozen times within the last week, in regards to some legal documents....he happens to be in the neighborhood friday, and asks if he can come by to get the papers signed....i say sure, sooner the better... he had something else in mind....then confessed he "creeped" out my facebook page and was looking forward to meeting me!!

UGH!! I am the type of person that does not like to be pursued...I like a challange

Thanks.

I always ask this question and, finally, an answer from your viewpoint.

You should make this question a thread!;)

Don't you think pursing someone from a different country and culture "creepy"?

Last edited:

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
and why do these Dominican guys leave their North American women? Because they are emotional wrecks, bossy, demanding, ...etc.

you may be right!! But that sounds like a pretty powerful woman you describe..

I'd rather be left for those reasons than some bimbo blond thats after him only for his money..And will leave him high and dry in the end!!

also i believe in Karma, I believe real women marry for love.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Don't you think pursing someone from a different country and culture "creepy"?[/QUOTE]

She doesnt like to be pursued period!

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Thanks.

I always ask this question and, finally, an answer from your viewpoint.

You should make this question a thread!;)

Don't you think pursing someone from a different country and culture "creepy"?

I believe in multiculturalism....and Unity!
there's a lot if fish in the ocean....but there are many oceans!

Last edited:

Sholly24

I'm an athiest loving Obama fan!
Mar 5, 2006
Could it be the weather?

OK...

So Canadian men are all of the above. Very interesting. Anytime there is a general pattern, my commonsense always tells me that there is a reason for that pattern. Patterns just do not happen by accident. Is there any specific reason why Canadian men would generally be like that. Maybe all that stiffness is as a result of the cold weather?;) Maybe the cold weather affects the men different than it affects the women.

Do Canadian women have their own faults or are they angelic human beings? Do Canadian men that go after dominican women say the same thing about Canadian women? Who knows?

Just my random thoughts.

Sholly

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Well said and if Clair did not visit the resort on a constant basis she would not be in this mess.

You cannot run, from where you come, but you can always become...

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
doubtful it's the weather...

So Canadian men are all of the above. Very interesting. Anytime there is a general pattern, my commonsense always tells me that there is a reason for that pattern. Patterns just do not happen by accident. Is there any specific reason why Canadian men would generally be like that. Maybe all that stiffness is as a result of the cold weather?;) Maybe the cold weather affects the men different than it affects the women.

Do Canadian women have their own faults or are they angelic human beings? Do Canadian men that go after dominican women say the same thing about Canadian women? Who knows?

Just my random thoughts.

Sholly

Your random thoughts are appreciated,

Could very well just be " me " but if thats the case....i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the same way!!

However i cannot only limit myself to the Dominican Republic, i have found excitement in many of my travels...perhaps it the "change" or maybe even the "freedom" that i'm not willing to give up just yet!

so good point, could very well be me!!

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Your random thoughts are appreciated,

Could very well just be " me " but if thats the case....i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the same way!!

However i cannot only limit myself to the Dominican Republic, i have found excitement in many of my travels...perhaps it the "change" or maybe even the "freedom" that i'm not willing to give up just yet!

so good point, could very well be me!!

In all honesty, the pattern is obvious, everything is better on vacation, including sex ;) But at the end of the stay, you gots to go home!