LADIES ONLY! And Now A Few Words From Meemselle....because one word is never enough

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
ha ha ha power to the people ride on....
when peeps go to the ritz -carlton....they take the robes..../towels....and the hotels charge them alot...but it is proof that u went /stayed there....injun

Power to the peeps right on? About the Boston Ritz? Hunny, I have stayed at the Ritz-C. The robes are not free. The facecloths....well, we all have our peccadillos.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The sleeping blanket....

We had a 'blanky' for our little girl - and they do get ripe.

When we decided to separate child & blanket we systematically reduced the size... until it was a small handkerchief.

The puzzled look on the little face .......... Blanky had melted like Frosty the Snowman.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
This is graphic. Mighty graphic. Lucky for you, DR-1 peeps, the graphic of the actual amoeba didn't load.

And Now a Few Words From Meemselle.....because one word is never enough

Amoebas

June 11, 2014

Amoeba: a single-celled parasitic animal, i.e., a protozoa, that infects predominantly humans and other primates. Diverse mammals such as dogs and cats can become infected but usually do not shed cysts (the environmental survival form of the organism) with their feces, thus do not contribute significantly to transmission. The active (trophozoite) stage exists only in the host and in fresh feces; cysts survive outside the host in water and soils and on foods, especially under moist conditions on the latter. When swallowed they cause infections by excysting (to the trophozoite stage) in the digestive tract.

If just the definition makes you queasy, then stop right here, Gentle Reader, as this is a roller coaster ride through all 21.5 feet (that?s 20 in the small; 1.5 in the large) intestine. Or in this case, the outestine?..

Last week, my stomach felt a little funny. I have a cast-iron stomach and will do almost anything?endure searing pain and hours of nausea?to avoid vomiting. This was a serious impediment to my success as a bulimic?.When I was a child and had stomach upsets and I was trying to avoid hurling, my father (a World War II Coast Guard veteran who knew something about bravery and/or seasickness, I guess) would come into my room and say cheerfully, ?What?s the big deal? Throw up! Blarrgh! Done! You?ll feel better!? and I would moan to my mother, ?Get him out. Make him go away. Pleeeeeeeease.?

So stomach issues are not in the normal range of health issues with which I am intimately familiar. Ask me about knees. Or shoulders. Ask me about asthma. Ask me about any other number of common ailments, and I am your go-to girl, but stomachs? Not so much. For stomachs I only know from the BRAT diet. But more on that later?.

I digress?.So my tummy was hurting, and I thought that was odd and knew immediately I had appendicitis, because yes, when you hear hoof beats, always assume zebras, not horses. (This is the exact opposite of the advice a pediatrician once gave me when I was certain my child was going to die. More below on my diagnostic skills.) But I figured maybe I was hungry because I?m trying to be really careful about food because I AM going to Paris in the fall and would like to buy clothes. Clothes in Paris go from size zero to two, and I am a multiplication of the latter.

So I drank a lot of water and felt minimally better. I went to dinner at Caf? Tropical on Wednesday and had to wait sort of a long time for my food, but when it came?grilled salmon and a baked potato and white wine?I felt significantly better.

On Thursday, I was upstairs reading in the afternoon and felt really crappy. But again, I hadn?t eaten. Only this time the water wasn?t doing the trick. And I was a little dizzy. And the stomach sensation was much more intense. So I immediately knew I had peritonitis and was going to expire?like Cimmie Mosley?within the day. Hoof beats of zebras. So I decided to run out and get some chicken soup.

I went to Chain-Link Italian here in Sos?a (it has a name but I never remember it) where they make an excellent chicken soup. Not as good as mine, but for goyische chicken soup, OK. The waiter brought it to my table, set it down, smiled, and ponced away. The normally enticing aroma drifted to my nose, whereupon floods of nausea ensued, and I thought I was going to faint right there at Chain-Link Italian. I forced a few spoonsful down, ate a small piece of bread, broke out in a drenching sweat, and asked for the check. The waiter was understandably flummoxed, but I gurgled something, in my horrible Spanish, to the effect of, ?It?s not you; it?s me.? (which I think I say a lot in this country, but again, I digress?.) I reeled home and got into bed.

?.which is where it becomes graphic.

That night, Gentle Readers, I **** the bed. Actually. Literally. Graphically.

I thought perhaps a little gas needed to be passed but what passed was not in the gaseous family of matter. This was one of those moments where one desperately wishes one were not alone, in a foreign country on a personal voyage of independence and resiliency. Because in such a moment, Gentle Reader?and I sincerely hope you never experience such a moment?your humble author was about as independent as a lemming and as resilient as overcooked fusilli.

That morning, I told the ever-intrepid Juan that I needed to go to the CMC (Centro Medico Cabarete) right away. Juan is very suspicious of the CMC; it?s a for-profit health care facility where ex-pats and wealthy or well-insured Dominicans go. Most of the doctors speak English, and I have had pretty good care there. However, Juan is convinced that CMC is a place where white people go to die. I keep explaining to him that since they have a 24/7/365 emergency room, a lot of those people were probably pretty messed up by the time they got to CMC, but Juan is nothing if not steadfast in his opinions. At this point, I am not sure that Juan is wrong.....

Anyway, I get to CMC, they take one look at me and they start an IV. The next thing I know, I am taken to a room upstairs. Nice nurse-y lady in a shirt that doesn't button brings a tray of food for lunch. I ask her to please take it away. Because I think I am going to hurl. I think about my father OBM. I drift in and out and out of sleep. Juan?s wife comes and brings me a bag of nightclothes, because in true Dominican fashion, they?ve put me into bed in my regular clothes and a hospital johnnie over them. Because she is Dominicana, she also brings me earrings and makeup. Which is not happening. They take my temperature. From my armpit. Concerned looks are exchanged. Another IV bag is started. Juan comes back. The doctor comes back. He tells me I am being kept overnight. I start to cry.

We ask for a doctor who speaks better English, because I am doing all of this in my horrible Spanish, with a plastic line in my arm and a hospital johnnie over my clothes. Puh-mother-effin-leeeeeeze.

Nice bald-headed doctor who speaks excellent English comes and I tell him I want to go home. We chit chit chat about the implications of self-release. I understand them. He releases me. Reluctantly. I come home. I light Shabbat candles. I go to bed.

On Saturday, feeling marginally improved, I am a leeeeetle beet annoyed because everyone is telling me to eat. Channeling Lady Redesdale, I figure if the Good Body doesn?t want to eat, it?s not time to feed her. However, I bow to the yakking chorus, and put myself on BRAT.

BRAT, for the uninitiated, is how you feed your kid when he has a tummy ache. Oh, and did I mention that I, with my cast-iron stomach, have a child with a stomach like a butterfly wing? BRAT is the acronym for bananas, rice, applesauce, and tea. You can also add some ginger ale with the bubbles stirred out. Which is what I feed myself. But not the bananas because even thinking of the smell made me a little wobbly. So a cup of plain brown rice and some nice flat ginger ale later, I go back to bed. I suffer an overnight relapse.

Gentle Reader, when I say ?overnight relapse,? you have no ****ing idea. It was one of perhaps three previous moments in my life when hoof beats of horses-vs.-zebras, I sincerely and without drama believed I was going to die. I said the Shema and prepared to meet my Maker. But the Master of the Universe smiled, and saved me for another day. I crawled downstairs on Sunday morning and croaked to Juan, ?I need to go back to the clinic.?

Moments like these are what Juan lives for. If you ever find yourself in a life-threatening crisis ? and you have time to make a quick call ? give me a ring and I will send Juan. Seriously. He sprang into action like Spiderman. Se?ora Meems was sent back to bed and Juan called one of the doctors who makes house calls. Yes: Americans. You read that correctly. ?One of the doctors who makes house calls.?

Dr. Mario Lopes works at CMC and I remember meeting him there while accompanying a hotel guest to the emergency room on New Years Day. He also works at Funeraria Blas Blas right down the street. He is a forensic pathologist. So yes, Quincy is my primary care physician. This is not encouraging.

So the Dominican Quincy fires me up with another IV, except this one has to go in my hand because I had a bruise the size of a grapefruit (Thank G*d for the grapefruit!) on my inner elbow from the IV on Friday. Juan runs downstairs to find a hammer and a nail and some plastic rope so they can hang my IV from my bedroom doorway. Dr. Lopes pinches my arm and my skin does not snap back (it sort of doesn?t anyway, past a certain age, does it?), but remains in little puckers like cairns along my arm, which I later learn is not due to my advanced age but to my extreme dehydration. I start feeling as if I am too young to die. But then I remember that only the good die young, so I take heart.

I spend all day Sunday in bed, wandering occasionally, St. Bartholomew-like, carrying my IV bag, to the bathroom to divest the Good Body of various substances, all of them liquid. Dr. Lopes comes back to fire up another IV bag. The sun sets.

But fortunately not on me. Two IV bags and about 777 quarts of water later, I rouse from my near-comatose state and realize I feel nearly human. Quincy comes to take out the IV and finds me semi-recumbent (like Molly Bloom) and reading. Everyone is happy. Muchas gracias are exchanged, pills are dispensed, and the saga of when ?The Weekend That the Intestine Became the Outestine? ends.

What I later learn is that amoebas feed on sugar, and by BRAT-ing myself, I basically gave the little suckers the equivalent of dinner at Taillevent.

All?s well that ends well. But Gentle Reader, if you ever wish for amoebas as a vehicle for speedy weight loss, bookmark this blog and read it again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have enjoyed reading your sagas. Certainly wish I had that "way with words."

Thank you.

HB

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Mickey, Curious George, and Blue
Posted on January 19, 2015 on blog

I was still managing the small hotel in Sosua when I wrote this. I have since moved on. But not from the sentiments.

We always have the most lovely guests. And one of the most wonderful things about this funny, quirky little place is the number of guests who return again and again.

One such family is an American couple with four children, three lovely, smart girls and an adorable, quick-as-silver little boy. They live in the DR and do good deeds. All six of them. They wear their deep (Christian) faith as a tool, not a weapon, and they are perhaps the kindest people I have ever met in my entire life.

But even the most devoted good-deed-doers need a break from time to time, and when that time comes, this family comes to Fawlty Towers South for a few days of fun and sun. We were delighted to welcome them over Christmas, and it was a great visit all around.

However, when I was doing the room walk-through after they left, I discovered that the little boy had left little stuffed Mickey Mouse and Curious George behind. They seemed to be very well loved, and it didn’t seem to me that they’d been left intentionally.

So I wrote a quick note to the mom and offered to send them. Then again, I don’t know what I was thinking as there is no postal service. Maybe in the Capital or Santiago, but not here, and definitely not in the campo where they live. Every so often I have a First World Lapse like that…..

She said to hang onto them and they’d get them the next time they come through the North Coast, as the baby hadn’t mentioned them and didn’t seem to notice.

Well, of course: delayed reaction and the poor child was sobbing to a teacher about the loss of his beloved comfort guys, so Mom promised him that Mickey and George are with Meems and she is keeping them safe until the family can come and collect them. I hope he is hanging on to the thread of that hope.

I’m an old hand at this, having called hotels from Montauk to Baltimore to track down Blue, the much-beloved blanket of Beloved Son, who was left behind on several occasions. The blanket, not the Son.

Blue was a gift from my youngest sister, a navy blue fleece blanket with a soft satin border, about 45″x 36″ in measurement, and soft as rain dripping from willow trees, just like my sister. Blue was meant to be a nursing blanket for me. Somehow he got co-opted by Beloved Son, and they are still together. Blue is greatly enjoying college life, thankyewverramuch. (Say it like Elvis)

Blue has seen it all, from the Tooth Fairy to girlfriends. I can only hope that Blue gets washed from time to time, because back in the days of childhood, he got pretty ripe, and I had to pry him away from Beloved Son as he slept, wash and dry him, and return him to my slumbering child, who was also known to get pretty ripe. I wish I could have washed and dried Beloved Son in his slumber, but there are pesky Child Protection Services about that. We were always pretty anthropomorphic about Blue, too, and he was always a “he,” never an “it.”

I think that at that age (three-ish) they’re almost, but not quite, ready to let go of the comfort object, because in theory they’ve learned to comfort themselves. It’s hard to let go. I know there are some schools of parental thought that insist on doing a weaning. In theory, the tears and panic are over in a couple of weeks, and the child will have achieved a new level of maturity and independence and the parents have made their point.

I am of a different school of parental thought, and always figured he’d give up the object when he was ready. I never wanted to exert parental authority when I thought that my child could figure it out for himself. My parental goal (if I ever really even consciously thought of it) was to raise a child capable of making his own decisions and being in touch with his own feelings. Never too early to start that.

In the larger picture, I wonder how many of us—as adults—secretly wish we still had a Mickey, or a Curious George, or a Blue.

If we’re lucky, I guess that’s what our relationships/partnerships do.

If we’re not lucky (and who is?), I guess that’s what adult beverages and food and any number of other activities or substances are for.

Or if we’re extremely unlucky or extraordinarily brave, I guess we do without emotional comfort.

But you can’t do it forever. Because either you go crazy with longing or you stop feeling. Having done both, I can attest that one is just as painful as the other.

Loss is one of the most horrible of the four-letter words. And while we may smile indulgently at the tears of a toddler at the loss of Mickey or George or Blue, his loss is just as real, just as devastating, and just as painful as life’s later losses.

We spend so much of our time teaching our children, but I think that what we really need to do sometimes is to step back and learn from them. We can learn about devotion, and joy, and love, and we can also learn about mourning, and sadness, and loss.

Right now I’m reading Marilynne Robinson’s extraordinary “Gilead” trilogy. In the second book, “Home,” she writes this incredible sentence:

“Why did I ever expect to keep anything? That isn’t how life is.”

So hang on to Mickey and George and Blue as long as you can, in any way, shape, or form. Because if the only comfort is Southern, you may want to look at it again.

Love it!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Meems, you have a gift. many, maybe, but you have the ability to extract humor from gastric distress.

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Goes to show you, you're never to old to learn something new. Didn't realise those little brats fed on sugar. No more jello for Montezuma's Revenge!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think they ever truly die or go away.
It's just a matter of how long they rest in a dormant state.... always returning.
At least in my experience.........

As for the little 'slip up' between gas and gaseous matter.......
Been there done that..........
In a car on the highway.

My friends gave me a bag of Depends at our next party.......... not funny.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
have you had any lab tests performed? amoeba is just one of many options among various gastrointestinal visitors common in DR and without a test it is impossible to identify them since they all present the same symptoms. it would have called for a more thorough treatment too. lots of parasites/bacteria can stay with you for quite a long time and cause further damage.

also: never trust a fart.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Goes to show you, you're never to old to learn something new. Didn't realise those little brats fed on sugar. No more jello for Montezuma's Revenge!

I was told the best things to eat in the aftermath are protein and some fats.

A tablespoon of baking soda mixed with enough lime juice to make it liquid (although revolting) also helps to maintain the appropriate intestinal balance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After 40 years going to DR, and never having any problem, "it" got me this year. It started just days after returning home from 4 months at our DR home. Went on for weeks, doctors, tests, meds. Nothing was working. Doc finally prescribed Xifaxan [expensive stuff!!!] along with ultra strength probiotics, and that did it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

A tablespoon of baking soda mixed with enough lime juice to make it liquid (although revolting) also helps to maintain the appropriate intestinal balance.

.you are the wordsmith of the site. you must be able to dredge up a more forceful word than revolting to describe the taste of baking soda and lime juice.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

basically, chikin soup :)

i have had more intestinal issues here than i care for. good news is that in time you do get certain level of resistance. subsequent infections may be a lot less problematic.