Ladies - What are your thoughts about living alone here ?

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I can’t see a Dominican security guard ever shooting there fellow Dominican in a robbery they love each other too much they would shoot in the air

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
"Ladies, what are your thoughts about living alone here?" was the original question. I'm not sure why people are spending the whole thread talking about guns.
Thank you for pointing that out. Plus I’d like to see more LADIES responding. 😊

Reactions: Gadfly

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have no problem alone here in the Capital (El Millon). The building has security, I have no issues. I can relate to the OP's thread. Staying at our home in the campo has been something that I have thought about. We have the usual, high fence, cameras, etc.. No need to speak about other protection. IMO I would rather be in an area (Santo Domingo, Santiago, Punta Cana, etc..) rather than the campo alone. I came here many years ago. While I never really thought about being "alone" here, as time ages us it is a reality. When that time comes, I will probably look at Punta Cana (we have been looking) if I want to stay in DR.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Except for the occasional visitor from the US, I live alone when in Puerto Plata.

However, I am a boring old lady and tend not to go out at night. During the day I use taxis since Puerto Plata is infested with motos and driving there is an anxiety-inducing undertaking.

My place is an upper apartment in a small enclave. I have iron on my windows and doors and the owner (who is armed) lives on the premises. Furthermore, I've been there since 2001 and many people in Puerto Plata (even ones i don't know personally) tend to call me Doña.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I stayed alone the summer I volunteered and when I taught. I was younger then but still very cautious, likely from having read a lot of DR1. If I went out after dark it was in a large group with people who knew the area, in a car, and I have never been a big drinker.

Any time I’ve been back, I’ve been with my husband or his family. I know that I wouldn’t feel very safe living there alone without him, but time and experience would probably change that.

I am a risk taker in lots of ways but personal safety and real estate have never been areas where I like to gamble. Now that I have children, that has increased ten fold.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
.. Important things to remember is never discuss money or what you have with anyone play the roll that your broke . also don't go no where you don't belong.. and keep on point and you will be fine.

There it is ! 👏

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I like it. Dress for the neighborhood and keep the mouth shut. For me, my boat looks like something from the beginning of 'Captain Ron'. It's all those really pretty expensive one that get robbed. I joke that most would probably leave money on mine.
very simple no flossing in DR

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Ahem ahem ahem. Thanks to all the guys who feel the need to butt in, but the question is addressed to us ladies, so guys, please let us answer for ourselves.

I personally think that in the capital you are reasonably safe. I live in a place with a lot of security and always move around with Uber, and always check the plate of the vehicle. I do find Dominicans are way more forward sexually than guys in other countries and have had a few scrapes which could have easily turned into a sexual assault.

In terms of break ins, I don't ever feel very safe in the countryside. At best even in a gated community you have a watchy who is usually asleep, and useless police. But in the towers in the cities, I don't think it would be easy for anyone to get in.

Reactions: Gadfly and AlaPlaya

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I live in the NC . I do have 8 ft walls, no camera's yet but something to look into ! guns no I'd be more likely to shoot my foot off tho did think about a tazer. I am not as concerened about "my possessions" but my personal safety. Thanks to all the ladies who responded !!!

Reactions: MariaRubia

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I live in the NC . I do have 8 ft walls, no camera's yet but something to look into ! guns no I'd be more likely to shoot my foot off tho did think about a tazer. I am not as concerened about "my possessions" but my personal safety. Thanks to all the ladies who responded !!!
Have you considered wasp spray? I’m serious.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Have you considered wasp spray? I’m serious.

You are right. The police in the UK have a spray that they use and the people always stop what they're doing and usually scream. I think it temporarily blinds you and really hurts. Having said that, if someone has a gun I don't think it would be such a good idea to use it and let's face it, every Tom Dick and Harry here has a gun.

I think that to live here successfully you need to adjust your lifestyle. And I think for single ladies, the best option will always be something like a condo in a residencial with a lot of security. Maybe that means some sacrifices in terms of the ideal type of house for you, but at least you sleep easy and can be pretty certain that nobody is going to get in.