Laptop repair NC

J

josh2203

Have a 2.5 year old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E560 that is refusing to start. Power button lights up, caps lock lights up, screen does receive power but nothing appears on the screen. As per some videos, removed CMOS battery for a while and put it back, started laptop again and heard 4 beeps which according to the video mean that BIOS is not reset, but still nothing.

So, looking for locations as near of POP as possible. Santiago is possible but not preferred. Thanks!

C

chico bill

Have a 2.5 year old Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E560 that is refusing to start. Power button lights up, caps lock lights up, screen does receive power but nothing appears on the screen. As per some videos, removed CMOS battery for a while and put it back, started laptop again and heard 4 beeps which according to the video mean that BIOS is not reset, but still nothing.

So, looking for locations as near of POP as possible. Santiago is possible but not preferred. Thanks!

Why bother - You can buy this unit refurbished for $125 off eBay. If you want your data or setup just swap out your Hard Drive or connect it via a SATA external cable and copy what you need

L

london777

I have found this guy helpful (he is not Dominican if that encourages you at all):

Venesoft
809 261 4086
WhatsApp 809 759 2130
info@vene-soft.com
corner of Antera Mota and Jose Ramon Lopez (Puerto Plata city)

G

Garyexpat

I used to use Ramon (German) behind Baileys in the plaza when I lived in Sosua. He was always reasonable and will tell you if something is not worth fixing.

J

josh2203

Why bother - You can buy this unit refurbished for $125 off eBay. If you want your data or setup just swap out your Hard Drive or connect it via a SATA external cable and copy what you need

Thanks, I'm actually considering a whole new (not refurbished due to work reasons) laptop and that SATA reader to get my data from the Lenovo... For this, if anyone is traling from the US to the DR (NC preferred) in the near future, please do feel free to PM me. I'm hesitating a bit getting new laptop locally, even though I'm aware of such businesses as Prodacom/Cecomsa/JJR Technology in Santiago... If anyone has any positive/negative experiences with any of those businesses or know someone there, please feel free to post here... Or any other tips for that matter... Thanks!

C

chico bill

Thanks, I'm actually considering a whole new (not refurbished due to work reasons) laptop and that SATA reader to get my data from the Lenovo... For this, if anyone is traling from the US to the DR (NC preferred) in the near future, please do feel free to PM me. I'm hesitating a bit getting new laptop locally, even though I'm aware of such businesses as Prodacom/Cecomsa/JJR Technology in Santiago... If anyone has any positive/negative experiences with any of those businesses or know someone there, please feel free to post here... Or any other tips for that matter... Thanks!

I bought a used Thinkpad T440s a year ago for $200. It's fast and trouble free and has a backlit keyboard.
A lot depends on how big a hard drive you need. But an SSD is much faster than the old platter type, runs cooler and quieter and will last longer. Maybe upgrade to a slightly newer model ovr what I bought.

I would not hesitate to get one like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...9931140a6a8c8d0e4568adffb1014ea0bf4a#viTabs_0

J

johnpeterson30

Yes, you are right. You should change the unit.

J

josh2203

I bought a used Thinkpad T440s a year ago for $200. It's fast and trouble free and has a backlit keyboard.
A lot depends on how big a hard drive you need. But an SSD is much faster than the old platter type, runs cooler and quieter and will last longer. Maybe upgrade to a slightly newer model ovr what I bought.

I would not hesitate to get one like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...9931140a6a8c8d0e4568adffb1014ea0bf4a#viTabs_0

Thanks, yes, I'm very familiar with these kinds of machines, and I know you're right. As this is purely work work, only usability/battery life/screen (matte/glossy) / keyboard feeling and numbers (CPU/RAM/HD not so much) that matter.

If I was in Europe or US, I would not hesitate buying that from Ebay, but being here, I do a bit. If anything would go wrong, I would have little leverage towards the seller. Might well be me being just paranoid though...

The above being said, just bumping this: If anyone happens to travel from the US to the DR in the near future and would not mind bringing down a laptop (ideally to the NC), please feel free to shoot a PM... Thanks again!

C

chico bill

Thanks, yes, I'm very familiar with these kinds of machines, and I know you're right. As this is purely work work, only usability/battery life/screen (matte/glossy) / keyboard feeling and numbers (CPU/RAM/HD not so much) that matter.

If I was in Europe or US, I would not hesitate buying that from Ebay, but being here, I do a bit. If anything would go wrong, I would have little leverage towards the seller. Might well be me being just paranoid though...

The above being said, just bumping this: If anyone happens to travel from the US to the DR in the near future and would not mind bringing down a laptop (ideally to the NC), please feel free to shoot a PM... Thanks again!

I might be going in next 2 months.
I don't think a warranty holds any real water in DR anyway - so your fears of an issue, while real, aren't going to be be better off buying in DR