Largest Japanese Investment in the DR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The following article published today in the Listin Diario is about an announcement made by the Dominican ambassador to Japan (guy in the photo and I think he has some Japanese ancestry) that today Feb 20 atvthe National Palace eill be revealed to the public. He says it will be the largest investment Japan has ever made in the DR and it will be from a Japanese vehicle company. He didn’t specify what company it will be or what exactly the new investment is about.

JEbR9vs.png

The decision to invest in the DR didn’t came out of thin air. The Dominican embassy has been in negotiation to bring major Japanese investments to the DR at least since 3 years ago and a deal was struck this past January. One of the goals given to the current ambassador by the Ministry of Foreign Relations was to bring to the DR a major investment from a Japanese company.

What could this major investment be?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As the article stated: "It will be from a Japanese vehicle company" and "Tesla Japonesa con inversiones en 78 paises"

I bet PlayaCaribe could hazard a guess.

Reactions: CristoRey

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Found it.

Auto parts.

The Japanese company Yazaki Corporation will invest 90 million dollars in an automobile parts manufacturing plant that will employ 1,500 people in Santiago de los Caballeros.

GG0EY_bWkAAI4G1
Thats impressive

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I've had a few of those thoughts going through my mind as well.

Then again, I had lots of sharp employees when I worked in Santiago.
But it’s also a completely new industry for the DR. As far as I know.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
But it’s also a completely new industry for the DR. As far as I know.
Production is production. Engineers dissect the production steps to the umpth degree so any person can be trained to do it.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Production is production. Engineers dissect the production steps to the umpth degree so any person can be trained to do it.
Are the engineers then from the Japanese company ? Do many Dominicans have this expertise. Maybe the Japanese company has been offered some incentives from the DR government to go ahead with this.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
I've had a few of those thoughts going through my mind as well.

Then again, I had lots of sharp employees when I worked in Santiago.

Great location:

- Santiago has the infrastructure and the areas to build top industrial zones (some examples are Estrella, Cibao, Jostens, Swisher just to name a few corporations).

- Employment is cheaper compared to other areas and skilled labor *with basic English* is heavily used in healthcare and manufacturing vs Haina or Santo Domingo.

- Tax free zones, more affordable cost of living and airport less stressed and designed for industrial supply chains in the area connecting top cities in the US in less than 3-4 hours.

Japanese took the right decision, instead of choosing Punta Cana or building their warehouse in the Deep South.

Reactions: JD Jones

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Great location:

- Santiago has the infrastructure and the areas to build top industrial zones (some examples are Estrella, Cibao, Jostens, Swisher just to name a few corporations).

- Employment is cheaper compared to other areas and skilled labor *with basic English* is heavily used in healthcare and manufacturing vs Haina or Santo Domingo.

- Tax free zones, more affordable cost of living and airport less stressed and designed for industrial supply chains in the area connecting top cities in the US in less than 3-4 hours.

Japanese took the right decision, instead of choosing Punta Cana or building their warehouse in the Deep South.
Has Punta Cana ever been considered for manufacturing?

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Do many Dominicans have this expertise. Maybe the Japanese company has been offered some incentives from the DR government to go ahead with this.
- INTEC has a Mecatronics, Robotics and a Mechanical division, taking top students going to NASA. That's the nearest college in the DR with this levels.
- Another option for skilled workers is relying on top students from Loyola, ITLA and ITESA as they do technical studies while in high school.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Are the engineers then from the Japanese company ? Do many Dominicans have this expertise. Maybe the Japanese company has been offered some incentives from the DR government to go ahead with this.
I can tell you in the electronics factory I worked we had one Engineer from the states for the startup and the rest were local.

It was decided after a couple of months we didn't need the guy from the states.

We had an over-abundance of Engineers throughout the plant.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can tell you in the electronics factory I worked we had one Engineer from the states for the startup and the rest were local.

It was decided after a couple of months we didn't need the guy from the states.

We had an over-abundance of Engineers throughout the plant.

One of our Dominican nieces worked as an engineer in two different SD area free zone factories ( I think Cardinal Health and Playtex). She was head-hunted from there to a fantastic job in Oklahoma.

Reactions: M4kintosh

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Isn’t that the area where they bring in most of work force from other parts of the country?
Yes. Before the '08 recession Rainieri and Hazoury families (via UNIBE and other academia) persuaded tons of top-notch college kids to live in PC instead of living in Santo Domingo for white collar jobs.

Now the Rainieri family wants to expand into manufacturing and logistics too, by building a free zone area next to the Punta Cana airport.