Largest Japanese Investment in the DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One of our Dominican nieces worked as an engineer in two different SD area free zone factories ( I think Cardinal Health and Playtex). She was head-hunted from there to a fantastic job in Oklahoma.
Oh yeah, you betcha. We had more than a few who moved on to bigger and better things. Not one of them to my knowledge had a problem with getting their VISA.

I know of at least ten who are now Plant Managers in other Free Zone companies.

Reactions: AlterEgo

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Yes. Before the '08 recession Rainieri and Hazoury families (via UNIBE and other academia) persuaded tons of top-notch college kids to live in PC instead of living in Santo Domingo for white collar jobs.

Now the Rainieri family wants to expand into manufacturing and logistics too, by building a free zone area next to the Punta Cana airport.
To me manufactoring sounds like something for Santo Domingo and Santiago.

Reactions: M4kintosh

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
To me manufactoring sounds like something for Santo Domingo and Santiago.
There are 74 free Zones all over the country but most are based near big cities. The further you get out in the country, the more benefits you receive.

mapa.jpg

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
There are 74 free Zones all over the country but most are based near big cities. The further you get out in the country, the more benefits you receive.

mapa.jpg
A quick example:
- ISM (Kola Real) installed their bottling in Santiago Rodríguez, far away from the rest of the big areas like Haina or Santiago where its competitors (Coca Cola and Pepsi) are heavily installed in Santo Domingo.
- Received a lot of tax credits and benefits during its time.
- Boosted jobs for truckers and main line workers in nearby cities like Mao and Santiago.