Las Américas International Airport New Terminal

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
For the first time, the renders of what the new terminal will look like is shown. Nice!

JIEEI1a.jpg

JIEEzqg.jpg

JIEEoLF.jpg

JIEETrJ.jpg

JIEEAdv.jpg

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
That is great if Las Americas gets an upgrade. But it did recently didn’t it ? Last time I was there in August I hadn't been since end of 2020 and there were many changes at departure.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That is great if Las Americas gets an upgrade. But it did recently didn’t it ? Last time I was there in August I hadn't been since end of 2020 and there were many changes at departure.
The problem with the Las Américas terminal is that it's old. They need to built the new terminal which will be up-to-date and then close the current terminal and subjected it to an intense mintenance where at the end they practically open another new terminal with everything new.

If the DR was a rich country, it makes sense to built a new terminal the size of the current one times two. Once built, knock the old one build a new modern one in its position that could handle twice as many passengers as now. But the DR isn't rich, so make do with a new terminal and "refurbishing" the current one. Once Arajet is in full force, Las Américas will be very crowded if it remains as big as it's now.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
They did, but the growth of the operations are going faster than projected and actually they had to open new doors for remote boarding and positions, actually the airport has between 26 and 30 positions depending on how many wide bodies land and with Arajet and Skyhight operations will continue growing. With the renegotiation of the contract they announced will invest right now 16 Millions dollars to adecuate SDQ with the operations and give better experience to the passengers. Also they started the sstudy for the new terminal that must start to build in 2025 and finish en 2028, if they had previous study now that one can no be used because they have to be prepared for the growth now with Arajet that its the biggest Dominican Airline using SDQ as hub. Also they announced will build a new parking for long stay. That mean that the renders shown for sure will have modifications.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I find Las Americas airport to be user friendly. Especially with the "before boarding" service. The main problem is the massive traffic jams entering and leaving the city to the airport.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I find Las Americas airport to be user friendly. Especially with the "before boarding" service. The main problem is the massive traffic jams entering and leaving the city to the airport.
You know you can have them pick you up at your home, right?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I remember the "old" airport back in 1986....especially the hard green plastic chairs near the ticket counter where you could wait before going through Immigration.

Reactions: JD Jones

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I remember the "old" airport back in 1986....especially the hard green plastic chairs near the ticket counter where you could wait before going through Immigration.
I found a video from 1989 if im not wrong and the airport looked like bus station, there are a lot complains about how looks like now but the truth is that the aiprot has improve a lot, and will keep doing that, we will see more changes in the coming years. By the way they just announced will change the baggages handle system, they will signed a contract with Alstef group. The new system will include new BHS exit with 4 systems units that detect explosives EDS Standard, 3 tags readers, 1 circuit that clasify baggages, rooms for baggages control and inspections

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Las Americas has improved a lot over the last two three years both on the air side, the land side, and the passport control. A couple of new restaurants on the air side between A and B, just stay away from the gate until boarding time.

Reactions: Riva_31