Improvements in Las Galeras and Samana

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Las Galeras, Samaná. - President Luis Abinader, in response to old claims of this community, gave the first pie for the reconstruction of the Plaza de Venidores, the rehabilitation of pedestrian access to Las Galeras beach and the improvement of the storm drainage system in the area .

For the execution of these works, 176 million pesos were allocated, information that was released in the act led by the president, in which the Minister of Tourism, David Collado, accompanied him.

The governor stressed that the development of Las Galeras will be done in an inclusive manner, and described this beach as an important source of prosperity for the entire province and the region.

"With an extraordinary potential that promises to continue energizing the economy, attracting tourism and, above all, the main objective of this government, to create jobs for the people," he added.

He also stressed that the next tourist season will be the best in the history of the Dominican Republic and the proof of this is that September was the best month in terms of tourism in the history of the country.

"It makes no sense to build infrastructure in tourist destinations, if we put the community aside and keep them marginalized," he said.

Abinader assured that this project will impact the workspaces of all vendors and their families who for years have been looking for their livelihood by offering tourists their best smile, their best work and especially their delicious gastronomic offer.

New works for development

After qualifying this province as an incomparable tourist destination, the president announced the construction of the Santa Bárbara de Samaná boardwalk with an investment of 500 million pesos, as well as the asphalt from Santa Bárbara to Las Galeras.

He also added that in the next 15 days the construction of a fishermen's wharf in Sánchez and a fishermen's square and restaurants will begin by the city council. On its side, the Ministry of Tourism will restore a group of Victorian houses. Likewise, in public-private partnerships, cruise ship tourist docks will be developed in Arroyo Barril and Samaná.

Rehabilitation in Las Galeras

The Minister of Tourism, David Collado, assured that with this project the transformation of Samaná continues, sprucing up its beaches and always thinking of an environmentally friendly tourism, where vehicles stop entering the beaches, with free internet and security cameras .

The reconstruction and rehabilitation of the beach, road section and storm drainage of Las Galeras will restore its splendor, diversifying the tourist offer of the northeast region for the enjoyment of national and foreign visitors.

The work started includes the remodeling of the commercial booths for aquatic and gastronomic activities and the reinforcement of security in the area. In addition, these improvements mean a direct benefit on the economy of the inhabitants.

The strategic guidelines of the project include four components, which are: environmental and landscape management; social and entrepreneurship; infrastructure and equipment and tourism development and territorial programming.

In the beach area, 25 modules will be enabled: 16 restaurants, two craft modules, offices, among others.

Of the 176 million to be invested in the area, 50 million will be for the beach area, 66 million in the road section and another 60 million for rainwater drainage. The works will be executed through the Tourist Area Infrastructure Executing Committee (CEIZTUR) of the Ministry of Tourism.

The mayor of Las Galeras, Cecilio García, added that there is mountain tourism, ecological tourism, sun and beach.

"Las Galeras has everything to develop as Galicians really want," he said.

Likewise, the representative of the Association of Vendors of the Galeras and Surrounding Areas (ASOVEGAZ), Anny Matías and the president of the Samaná Tourism Cluster, Jesús Durán, expressed feeling immensely grateful that it was a dream that has been presented in several efforts and it had never been heard.

"Never had a president come to Las Galeras to worry about anything and you have," he added.

The event was attended by Governor Elsa De León; the commander of the Dominican Navy, Vice Admiral Ramón Betances Hernández; the Director General of the Tourist Police, General Minoru Matsunaga and Deputy Danny Rafael Guzmán.

Also the mayors, of Samaná, Nelson Núñez; from Las Terrenas, Willy Esteban and the president of the Association of Hotels and Tourism Companies of Samaná, Juan Bancalari.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I just spent 3 days there last week. Playa Playita was the most spectacular beach I have ever been on in my entire life. I also visited Playa Grande, more developed but still picturesque views without a doubt. The pueblo of Las Galares reminded me of the the place I grew up in my country of origin. Of course before all of the development hit the place where I grew up.

It was simply a laid back beach experience. I could not believe I was still in the Dominican Republic. None of the negatives that you associate with going to the Boca Chica or Juan Dolio existed on either of the beaches I visited. The main drag of Las Galares had everything I needed. And honestly if I did not have commitments in the south I would have never left the area.

That is how much I enjoyed it. I will be returning next month or maybe even sooner.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I just spent 3 days there last week. Playa Playita was the most spectacular beach I have ever been on in my entire life. I also visited Playa Grande, more developed but still picturesque views without a doubt. The pueblo of Las Galares reminded me of the the place I grew up in my country of origin. Of course before all of the development hit the place where I grew up.

It was simply a laid back beach experience. I could not believe I was still in the Dominican Republic. None of the negatives that you associate with going to the Boca Chica or Juan Dolio existed on either of the beaches I visited. The main drag of Las Galares had everything I needed. And honestly if I did not have commitments in the south I would have never left the area.

That is how much I enjoyed it. I will be returning next month or maybe even sooner.
Yeagh , its a really nice spot aint it .
Did you by any chance eat at the Shack on the beach owned by the Crazy old lady, on Playita, left side .. She cooks up a mean shrimp especially for Semana Santa , but she is completely Cray Cray . Also is that Restaurant on top of the steep Hill ( Monte Azul) really closed permanently ..that is a real shame if true .

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Yeagh , its a really nice spot aint it .
Did you by any chance eat at the Shack on the beach owned by the Crazy old lady, on Playita, left side .. She cooks up a mean shrimp especially for Semana Santa , but she is completely Cray Cray . Also is that Restaurant on top of the steep Hill ( Monte Azul) really closed permanently ..that is a real shame if true .
They now rent out the house or by the room and still make food for guests but they are not open to the public as a restaurant.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Things are actually happening here. I complained earlier that they did not finish paving, but they are paving right now and doing a good job. New sewer lines are going in the Main Street of Las Galeras. Also, two projects that we never finished or have been closed for a few years now have new owners and should be a great addition when complete in one year. Samaná Hacienda Bay has completed the first phase and is open to the public. They have a great rooftop bar with three pools. There is also a new project in Las Galeras which will add a lot of rooms, homes and a restaurant. Our new favorite place is Langostino de Oro, a litte thatched roof place on the right in Las Galeras. They have some great wood fired pizza, risotto and tuna sashimi.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Our new favorite place is Langostino de Oro, a litte thatched roof place on the right in Las Galeras. They have some great wood fired pizza, risotto and tuna sashimi.
I ate there almost everyday of my visit. I had their meat platter. And they made me a special pizza everyday. I would get it to go and take it to the beach (Playa Playita) or just grab one and walk back to my hotel and chill with it. The bar on the corner with the loud music across from the colmado looks fun. I had pica pollo at the place next to there. There is a natural juice place down the street from my favorite restaurant that takes the fruit you want out of the bin and juices for you on the spot. I also had some great coffee from one of the small cafeterias on the main street. Also, in the morning there is a great empanada stand in the same general area as the colmado. BanReserves was right there if I need to do anything for my business. I don't have a the vocabulary to describe the quality of my visit. One of the best vacations I have ever had in my life. After a rough start in a bad hotel. I moved and it was smooth sailing from there on.

I hope everything looks great once the road and sewer work is done. I find it to be a charming pueblo that I hope to make my home in the future.