Las Terrenas is simply beautiful

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I spent my first Semana Santa in LT in April, it was not as bad as I heard. Outside of Punta Popy and Las Ballenas, crowd were manageable and more behaved. But, yes, it was crowded.

Now, I wasn't as lucky as you, Dom from the capital rented a villa in our residencia. Reggaeton and Dominican rap for 2 days straight while smoking hookah in the shared pool, felt like a video. I cried tears of joy when they left, ready to listen to Verdi :)

Las Galeras is even more beautiful than LT, just a little too quiet for me.

That is cultura!! You must understand that. Verdi is european elitairism (according to some here).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That is cultura!! You must understand that. Verdi is european elitairism (according to some here).

I understand, I wasn't mad. I even like Dumbow, no worries, I partied too, it was fun. It s nice to see people having fun. After 48 hours though, I was just ready to hear something else at a lower volume.

My name is the same as an Opera from Verdi...No elitism on my part ;)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
You didn't get it :), I think. I am as european as can be, our culture is far superior. I love Verdi, I love Bach, Telemann, Handel, in fact all the baroque. Carribean music is just noise to me.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You didn't get it , I think. I am as european as can be, our culture is far superior. I love Verdi, I love Bach, Telemann, Handel, in fact all the baroque. Carribean music is just noise to me.

LMAO :)

I dont really like classical music, love Caribbean music under 1,000,000 db :smoke:

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Las Terrenas currently under feet of water due to torrential downpour, river bursting banks and flash floods.

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I spent my first Semana Santa in LT in April, it was not as bad as I heard. Outside of Punta Popy and Las Ballenas, crowd were manageable and more behaved. But, yes, it was crowded.

Now, I wasn't as lucky as you, Dom from the capital rented a villa in our residencia. Reggaeton and Dominican rap for 2 days straight while smoking hookah in the shared pool, felt like a video. I cried tears of joy when they left, ready to listen to Verdi :)

Las Galeras is Gods living room. the ultimate spot on earth. and like Africaida hinted, do not go there if you are looking for excitement.. go to Punta Cana, and carouse with the dregs.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Las Terrenas unfortunately gets more than it's fair share of rain in an average year and the town itself does not handle it too well.

That said it is not the town that made the resort popular and it's untidiness and narrows roads are drawbacks. It is those beaches with a wonderful rolling hills backdrop that make it standout. The town is rather restrictive especially at weekends and public holidays and for those that have lived there for lengthy periods in private residences on the beachfront, it can destroy the tranquility briefly that makes the place special at most times. Quads without silencers and jipetas with loud speaker systems just don't fit in with the normal daily routine.

I most enjoyed staying in an apartment on Playa Bonita and it was such a quiet and relaxing place with calm swimming conditions at the east end and at times good breaking waves elsewhere. And then around the point at Punta Bonita and a short walk away you were on the calmest part of the long winding and beautiful Playa Coson. It was a great place to unwind and perfect if you like walking the beaches and swimming.

Life on Playa Las Balenas was almost as good with good beach and swimming to be found at the west sheltered end.

There are a variety of restaurants and the ambiance is definitely more European and the evenings tend to come to a close early. But the majority are there for the beach life. I would note that the street food and offerings of small outlets was always good too and there are some nice venues to enjoy a pastry and coffee in the morning or a cocktail and tapas for sundown. It is a town of very few bars aimed at the tourist market and that is probably a good thing because the place still is at it's core Dominican with modest foreign influence (Las Galeras even more so, as is Samana town).

The whole Samana peninsula is good to explore and chill out especially of you are coming from the capital for a few days. You will keep finding virtually deserted lovely beaches beyond those that everyone is told to visit. The pace of development is still slow and Las Galeras remains a calm backwater. Playa Coson is not developing as expected nor is Playa Rincon and so this part of DR will remain a good truly Dominican tourist destination to get away from the routines of life.......and a bit of French and Italian influence is no bad thing in managed doses.

I do hope the OP does venture beyond the AI at Portillo next trip and my advice for a next trip would be a place to suit your budget on either Playa Bonita or Playa Coson which keeps you out of the town if it is tranquility that you seek.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You didn't get it :), I think. I am as european as can be, our culture is far superior. I love Verdi, I love Bach, Telemann, Handel, in fact all the baroque. Carribean music is just noise to me.

if it does not make you want to dance, it is not music.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We did not even stay the night in Las Galeras. It was just the general area that my wife did not like at all.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Recently had the pleasure of a 3 night 4 day trip to Bahia Principe el portillo in Las Terrenas and it was fantastic.

We normally go to punta cana. We live in SD, but I wanted something different this trip. My wife suggested Samana and we decided on Las Terrenas. The difference in the people that go there vs the drunks in Punta Cana was like night and day. So much more relaxing without all the riff raff. The Atlantic Coast really is where its at.

That is all-

The only thing that matches the beauty of Las Terrenas is the darkness of the Dominicans hearts, so it is pretty much a wash. 

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013

I understand that this is the Dominican Republic and that I cant really get too upset at the behavior of native Dominicans but I just dont understand the total lack of respect they have for others around them. They seem to be totally lacking any basic social interaction skills and behave like children most of the time.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
You are right Equinn. It must be something in the upbringing. A lot of men behave like kids. Music " a todo lo que da" , they buy a motorcycle and the first thing they do is adapting the muffler, to attract attention. When drinking, the waitress cant take away the empty bottles so they can show off with their "cuarto" spent. 
In my opinion the "agoge" was and is the best upbringing you can give (Not the literal greek way of course) I have a daughter only so Cant give the upbringing we had, but I am sure it's the best way. It makes men not boys.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I understand that this is the Dominican Republic and that I cant really get too upset at the behavior of native Dominicans but I just dont understand the total lack of respect they have for others around them. They seem to be totally lacking any basic social interaction skills and behave like children most of the time.

sadly, that is the weakness of locals...the absolute inability to respect the existence of others. i live in an apartment building, and when the other tenants come home from partying, they could not care less that it is 3am, and people are trying to sleep. normally, one would come home on tiptoe, so as not to awaken others in the area. thse guys will park up their car, with the stereo going at full bore, and have a conversation in full voice, without taking a moment to consider that maybe, just maybe, people are trying to get some sleep. i have no idea what that is.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You are right Equinn. It must be something in the upbringing. A lot of men behave like kids. Music " a todo lo que da" , they buy a motorcycle and the first thing they do is adapting the muffler, to attract attention. When drinking, the waitress cant take away the empty bottles so they can show off with their "cuarto" spent. 
In my opinion the "agoge" was and is the best upbringing you can give (Not the literal greek way of course) I have a daughter only so Cant give the upbringing we had, but I am sure it's the best way. It makes men not boys.

actually, i agree with a lot of what you say, but the bottles remain at the table to verify the accuracy of the bill. without them, the waitress would tack on two phantom Jumbos.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i posted on this very recently, but one way to make a boy become a man is to force him to face adult responsibilities, such as renting his own place to live. when a guy is 40 years old, and still lives with his mother, who cooks for him, and washes his clothes, he will never become a man.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That's what I always thought. But might have double reasons. Not contradicting you, but I always understood this was the reason, I mean why leaving an empty Black Label or two (o so stereotype, once brought a single malt and they didn't like it) on a table? There can be little mistake about it. 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
i posted on this very recently, but one way to make a boy become a man is to force him to face adult responsibilities, such as renting his own place to live. when a guy is 40 years old, and still lives with his mother, who cooks for him, and washes his clothes, he will never become a man.

You are absolutely right! How about Jamaica in this context Gorgon, if I may ask?

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
sadly, that is the weakness of locals...the absolute inability to respect the existence of others. i live in an apartment building, and when the other tenants come home from partying, they could not care less that it is 3am, and people are trying to sleep. normally, one would come home on tiptoe, so as not to awaken others in the area. thse guys will park up their car, with the stereo going at full bore, and have a conversation in full voice, without taking a moment to consider that maybe, just maybe, people are trying to get some sleep. i have no idea what that is.

im so glad i dont live in an apt anymore. now we have a home in a secured gated community that does not stand for any type of loud music or other craziness.