Lately I have noticed many people want to move to DR. I am just curius as to why?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
In short, this country is not La la land or hell on earth. It's a normal country, with normal issues, and its has nice qualities and bad qualities.

It's a typical country in this world
That's exactly my point.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Until Someone Lives Here 24/7 They Will NEVER Know!!!

I have American friends who visit every month.Stay a week or two each time.They own their own homes or condos,BUT,until it's "24/7" they really don't know!!! When you must deal with EVERY problem that comes along.you will know! Until then,pay attention to "Golo",I DO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
I have American friends who visit every month.Stay a week or two each time.They own their own homes or condos,BUT,until it's "24/7" they really don't know!!! When you must deal with EVERY problem that comes along.you will know! Until then,pay attention to "Golo",I DO!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I accept the fact that as a non resident, I don't "know it all". All of our friends in the DR are expats, mostly Brits and Americans. Yes, they have Dominican issues to deal with, but, tell me where in the world can one live without issues. I live in Minneapolis, a city that always ranks very high on the "livability" or "best quality of life" polls. Yesterday, just up the street from my office, two people were shot to death at a little steak house. We have robbery, rape, car theft, and murder, and yes, even the occational crooked politician. The DR is tame by comparison. So, does that mean I should get the heck out of Mpls? Not to me. Mpls is a beautiful city with an excellent quality of life. Sure there is a dark side, but, tell me of a place that doesn't. All of Golo's postings are full of fear and forbodeing. If I had never been to the DR myself, and my whole image of the DR was based on Golo's posts, I would choose a vacation to Bagdad over Cabarete.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
How Is The DR Like MPLS?

Both have good beer!

How are the NOT alike?

MPLS has great sausage/salami,the DR has the worst sausage/salami(Except the "Salami" that "MusicQueen" likes so much!

MPLS has a larger snow removal budget than the DR! ;)

MPLS has Municiple services like,Police/fire/para-medics/sanitation.
You have Postal service,"Gas",electricity,and sewer,at your house.
MPLS,has a "real" public school system.
I bet you even have some good health care institutions?????

"LIVE" here fulltime for a year or two,then re-post!!!

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Sensing New Paranoia I Never Had

This is the first time in six years that I haven't been down there during the winter. I've been up here in the Chicago/Milwaukee area recuperating from an injury resulting in some major surgery, all of which wouldn't permit me to travel for about six months but of course, I've been reading this board daily. I have my home here in what I consider to be a very safe area along with my home at Tradewinds just outside of Sosua. I've been at Tradewinds for about two years now and also consider it to be a safe development to live in.
Never had a problem there.

What CC says about 24/7 carries alot of weight (no pun intended Cris). He's an American that made the 24/7 move many years ago. Granted, things may be more difficult, corrupt and dangerous in SDQ but its always been my experience and opinion that somebody somewhere in the DR is going to attempt to take advantage of you either civilly or criminally. I have significantly less of that feeling here but with being away for five months now and becoming Americanized again I see more doom, gloom and danger eminating from posts on this board than I seem to have seen in the past. This all started around Christmas and we all know that crime increases around that time. Probably however, the attempts of Dominicans to survive in their current economic climate has resulted in increased crime over an extended period of time.

Going back to the topic of moving there, I really don't know if I can do 24/7/365 and I really don't know if I want to try. We've all seen posters wanting to "move to paradise" when "paradise" hasn't existed since Adam bit the apple. Why couldn't I live in "paradise" 24/7/365? First, its too hot in the summer and much milder here and I have Lake Michigan out my back door with my boats. Next its the drivers and then its the fact that I have to drive to Santiago for goods and services that I walk around the corner for here. Then its the corruption, petty and grand theft, cheating, and lying. Then its just plain the Dominicans. They can drive me crazy. That's why I predominantly do business or socialize with Gringos when I'm there.

Move there permanently? Nope, probably not for me at this point in time. Spend 25% of my time there? Yes indeed and I can't wait to start doing it again. Retire there? We'll see.

Hope to see you guys around Easter. I miss the mess.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
I'll take you up on that...

....by year end, we will be down to stay. Yes, we do have all the amenities that you mention and for the most part, they are first rate. But, if I wanted to be in a place just like Mpls, I might just as well stay home.

What we also have are TAXES on everything we do or even think about doing. We have REGULATIONS on everything You have to get a permit to change out your own toilet and then have it inspected by a city inspecter (for a fee) They just past a law that makes it illegal to smoke in bars. You want electrical or plumbing done? You cannot hire just any licensed contractor, you can only hire the ones that the city says are acceptable. You think that's not a license to steal? Over half my income goes to taxes. The taxes I pay each year exceed all of my other expences combined and that includes two kids in college.

My point is, no matter were you go, there is a down side, Including Mpls and the DR. Most of the expats I know down there bitch about the annoying "Dominican issues" but for the most part, seem to be pretty happy to be there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Frankly,I never Complained about pay a Lot Of Taxes!

Because it meant I was making a lot of money!!!
If you are paying over 50% in taxes I have only two words for you:"Jewish Accountant"!!!!!

Now here is where I "Win" the "Taxes" debate!!
In MPLS,you actually get some services for the taxes you pay! In the DR,....well,I'll let you answer that one yourself!
The "Itbis" is now at 16 %,and payed on just about everything!"Goods,AND services"!
Taxes here are very high!
We are not talking "HAPPY :nervous:, we are talking ......"What the HELL are we talking about anyway??? Time to go to my apt.and get some"$#@@&"!!

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
Because it meant I was making a lot of money!!!
If you are paying over 50% in taxes I have only two words for you:"Jewish Accountant"!!!!!

Now here is where I "Win" the "Taxes" debate!!
In MPLS,you actually get some services for the taxes you pay! In the DR,....well,I'll let you answer that one yourself!
The "Itbis" is now at 16 %,and payed on just about everything!"Goods,AND services"!
Taxes here are very high!
We are not talking "HAPPY :nervous:, we are talking ......"What the HELL are we talking about anyway??? Time to go to my apt.and get some"$#@@&"!!

See, there you go, you can't get endless "$#@@&!! in Mpls for 500 pesos.
CHECK MATE ;)

yoruosu12

Mar 11, 2005
i guess their reason is the same as mine. Looking for a better place to try on his his/her luck. Well in my country, life is getting difficult as ever, as the PhP is devalues.

aerobaticman

Nov 10, 2004
Another option

You know it just might be that a person gets tired of the same old grind and decides to exchange the current grind for another.

The point is that it's different and that makes it interesting and worth it all...

Carlito

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 11, 2005
Criss Colon said:
Stop complaining.If you don't like the US what are you doing there!?

Why don't you get stuffed Mate ?
No one is putting down the US here, we are just saying why would someone want to move from a so called "advanced Country" like the US, to a less advanced Country like la Republica Dominicana,
Each place has its advantages and disadvantages.
The purpose of a BB is to exchange ideas,
not spout a foul wind.

Want to spout big talk ?I may be a transvestite Crossdressing hermaphrodite,but I can "lick" your A$$ anyday!
Meet Me in person and teach an "OLD BUGERON" some manners if you have the
stones..... :tired:
Otherwise be more polite.

"It's not nice to tell a Moderator to:"Get Stuffed"!,....."or smart!" :classic: CC

Last edited by a moderator:

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
WOW Carlito.....

Carlito said:
No one is putting down the US here, we are just saying why would someone want to move from a so called "advanced Country" like the US, to a less advanced Country like la Republica Dominicana,
not spout a foul wind.

Want to spout big talk ?
Meet Me in person and teach an "OLD BIKER" some manners if you have the
.......that might have been a LITTLE over reaction.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Beautiful Minneapolis!!!!

Camden Tom, I lived in Mpls. for 5 years back in the late 70's over by lake Calhoun. good, friendly people there and great nightlife. Only thing was, the winters were horrific. Could not stand the 30 to 40 degrees below that was
typical of your January. Had to escape it!

If the ONLY reason you want to relocate to DR is the constant balmy weather, then it's justification enought!

Have to agree that there's all sorts of criminal elements in DR (politicians, police, sankies etc.) but all in all I'd rather be there- if obligations would permit- than here, just outside of Washinton DC, the murder capital of US,

I'm a Dominican and know how obnoxious & obtuse, some of us can be, but life there is much simpler and easier. If you have the necessary $, I know you'll be happy and safe regardless of its' inherent problems and what other posters may say. Enjoy!!!!

DR Rubia

Mar 12, 2005
Some reasons why.....

stallion said:
Lately I have seen threads started up by members from all over the world, wanting to relocate to DR. I just wanted to ask some of those people as to why they want to live in the DR?. I mean first you will earn alot less money than you are earning now. And there are no good jobs. I know some have retired and some want to be with their lovers. What would be other reason if any. I just wanted to hear some input. Thanks all

I have considered leaving all I have in the US to move to the DR. Altho I believe lovers are the main reason those of us consider it there is also the fact that the people are so nice and welcoming. If you show kindness you will have it returned to you three fold. Of course there is the weather, the sun, the ocean but most of all it's the people and their way of life. We may have more material wealth but the people there have the all desired, wealth of life called - HAPPINESS. Many are so thankfull to have what little they do and it has only made them more wonderful people. I have also found that no matter how little they have to offer they would give you the shirt off their back if YOU needed it. Then of course there is the slower pace of life which is a huge change and relief for the hectic life many of us live. I know I wouldn't mind slowing down to their pace and way of life. They are awesome people, at least most are.

la flor

Jan 6, 2005
it sounds appealing to just pick up, leave all things behind, and start a whole new life in tropical paridise, where the lifestyle is much more laid back.I think many people rush into this kind of move without enough research, such as learning about the culture, economy, ect.Now for those who are blinded by so called love with someone they dont know much about, and move there, can possible bring you trouble. Especially white North american women, who move there not knowing anything. You can move there with your money, credit cards, computers, i-pods, and I think alot of people are going to see $$$ dollar signs and you could easily become a target.( I say this because it has just recently happened to somone I know who just lost her life there.)
It should be many vacations and alot of time spent there before someone should just pick up and go. And certainly not for a man, unless its been a long term relationship.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Carlito said:
not spout a foul wind.

Want to spout big talk ?
Meet Me in person and teach an "OLD BIKER" some manners if you have the
hehehe, I would love to see the face of the "Old Biker" when he sees the likes of CC:) For what ever it is worth the guy is bigger than my doorway in height and width. When he is in my car all the oxygen is gone because he displaces it with mass.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
john cast said:
well we are planning on comeing down during the winter it,s 8 outside and snowing it gives you a different slant on life makes it more intresting if it.s
raining at least it warm
When it rains here we don't have to shovel it:)

I suffer the frustrations of most Expat living in the DR but I wouldn't return to the snow for any reason whatsoever. The days are short but I have been hanging at the pool every day and I couldnt hardly even leave my home in upstate NY when I lived there at this time of year.

On my way home this evening I was behind a small motorcycle with three little girls on it in uniform returning home from school. The one at the back was eating something then casually just lowered her hand to let the garbage wrapper fall to the ground behind her. I just shook my head and wondered what the parents teach their children here. Depressing to say the least.

As far as income is concerned, I am making as much or more than my income while getting ready to move here.

I came to the north coast on a last minute flight on AA which I received via email. I liked it and came back the following month. Then the month after. At that point after visiting 3 times I decided to seek official residency here. By the time I moved here I was already a permanent resident, got my drivers license and have applied for my Dominican Citizenship. Possibly next month I will be a Dominican.

This place is absolutely crazy, what I consider perfectly safe and 80% of the drivers would be in jail in NY but I love the place!

Escott

chadfisher21

Feb 13, 2005
Freedom

Many people move here without prior knowledge of the country. Not knowng all the difficulties and trials. Many of them believe the whole country is just like the resort they visited. But I know a lot of young people who move because they are basically on a working vacation. They live under the Dominican circumstances because they enjoy such ammenities like the beach and weather. They forget about all the problems like lights and schoose to work for less pay. Of course if you are the average Dominican your money doens't come earnestly so in that case you might make more money. But I think mostly it's the freedom of living in the DR that really promotes people to wanting to live here. Hec that's the main reason I love it here!

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
Robert said:
I'm the wrong side of 35, I'm not retired and didn't move here because of a lover. I arrived here with very little, some clothes, US$2,000, credit card and every intention of going back home after my 2 week vacation was up.

I fell in love with the country and slowly built a life here. I was very fortunate to meet some great people (Dominicans) in my early days that made the journey to the point I'm at now much easier. These people I regard as my second family.

Who say's we all earn less, those of us that have businesses or employed here?

I live here because of the lifestyle, country, climate and people. Something I never found in the right proportions in the other countries I lived and worked in before landing in the DR.

The only reason that's important is YOUR reason. Why some of us are here really has no bearing on why you should or shouldn't be here.

Great post Robert...
I happen to know a couple of "non-dominican" people who are planning to move there, like the previous member said, everybody has their own reason.

Robert, may I inquire, are you Dominican?

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
I'm not sure you're being fair, if you hate it so much get out, you are not in Cuba (Or do you rather be in Cuba?)
Now I have to say, I 've never lived in DR, but do know many people from there, and yes some things are not what european o north american countries are used to, but C'mon....

Golo100 said:
I moved to DR in 1993 from the U.S. DR today is not the dreamlike paradise of the early 90's and before. Welcome to the real world. This land is no longer for the novice and simply adventurous anymore. This is a very complicated country and there are more people who want to leave than come here.

I for one would leave in a minute if I could master the experience I have here somewhere else. But I have to understand that leaving would be another adventure and most countries today have problems like we do.

Those who want to start a new life or business here need to know several basics:
1)If you want to survive do not under any circumstances take a Dominican as a partner, that is, unless you want to lose everything in a matter of weeks.
2)Beware of Dominican lawyers, even legit ones. Many lawyers don't even have license to practice and can't even speak or write their own language well. Almost any Dick and Tom can become a lawyer here, but few can practice true law. This is a mine field for starting a business.
3)Corruption will eat away your business. You have to be a magician to avoid being shafted by politicians, the police and government authorities. We have the equivalent of the mafia paybacks and graft in Little Italy.
4)Jealousy by locals can lead to disaster. What if a politician or army general thinks your business is doing too good and they want it for themselves? There is nothing you can do if they really want to take it away from you, except call the U.S. ambassador for help. If you buy land.....oh my god!!! Most land in DR lacks legitimate titles and even titles may end up with multiple owners. It even comes to the unreal situation that if a new government comes in, it can do away with any decision made by the previous one, just for the hell of it.
5)Dominican employees are just about the worst and are supported by labor laws that can turn you into a nervous wreck in months. Just think. Why do we have 2 million Haitian migrant and permanent workers in DR? Why don't Dominicans cut their own sugar cane, or work in construction, or prefer to be motoconchistas and informal street vendors? Everyone here wants to be a boss, but few want to pay their dues. On the other hand, most business are family business and there is no opportunity to grow.
6)Just remember that the cost of security personnel for both you business and home could take a large portion of your income. You must have armed guards to protect you, your home and business 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We have close to 1,000,000 professional thieves roaming our streets. Our car thieves are better than those in New York or Miami. Our thieves can rob an entire home in less than 30 minutes and can climb buildings as expertly as rock mountain climbers. Besides, they are becoming armed and dangerous and prefer to leave no witnesses.
TW