Law enforcement and noise from bar, how does it work?

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Hello DR1ers, we're having a bit of a situation here on the North Coast.
There's a bar located near a residential area. They play music every day from 7pm to 10pm(when we're lucky) or 12am on.
We've called the police and it still continues.
How would you advise about escalating the issue and getting this resolved?

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
noise cancelling headphones or move to a quieter neighborhood. What bar is it and where?

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
It's a no name bar with 4-5 people max. Is there a need for a license to sell alcohol, a need to register business, for authorization to play music daily and into the evening in a wide open setting? How about fiscal?

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I feel your pain - new colmado opened across the street. only solution was to move , tried talking to them nothing worked . GOOD LUCK

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
It's a no name bar with 4-5 people max. Is there a need for a license to sell alcohol, a need to register business, for authorization to play music daily and into the evening in a wide open setting? How about fiscal?
You can buy the offending property, and close the bar. But unless you own and love your property, it is time to move. If you make it into a fight, you will not come out winning, regardless the outcome of the noise issue. Best of luck!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
It's everywhere nowadays, can't escape noise in the DR. You think you can, but eventually, you can't... Noise will kill the place.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There's a bar located near a residential area. They play music every day from 7pm to 10pm(when we're lucky) or 12am on.
Where is it?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A friend of mine managed to get a big house that was used for loud parties every weekend closed down. They logged dates and times and went with a lawyer to court. I've sent him a link and asked him to contribute here.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
While living in Charamicos several years ago it was not uncommon for bars, make shift discos or colmados to play music until 5am. I often refer to this type of behaviour as "the old Dominican Republic" I am surprised to learn the local people up there still tolerate it.

Here in Santiago we have a no nonsense mayor and a detatchment called Polica de Ruido which will show up, when called, in a big flat bed truck and confiscate the speakers from an establishment and arrest the offenders. The only time anyone gets a pass around here after 11pm is during the holidays. Otherwise it's a warning first from neighbors, if ignored then a call to the PN. Problem solved.

Reactions: Billy Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Start with downloading the tu policiapp rd app on google play.

You can also call 911. This is from the 911 website:

Is loud music illegal in a colmadón?
Yes The use of loudspeaker systems or horns installed fixed or in vehicles with any utility that exceed the levels established by environmental noise protection standards is prohibited.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Thanks all for the great ideas and suggestions.

It's in cabarete, we have a contact from medio ambiente. Lets hope that we can reach the right people.

We did try to talk to them but they feel like they are in the right.

Sometimes it's the colmado, sometimes it's vehicles from the repuesto next door. Fun times!

At least the music is mostly good.

Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Pay a few police 500 pesos each to pay them a visit and confiscate the speakers - if they in fact are too loud

Reactions: Billy Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks all for the great ideas and suggestions.

It's in cabarete, we have a contact from medio ambiente. Lets hope that we can reach the right people.

We did try to talk to them but they feel like they are in the right.

Sometimes it's the colmado, sometimes it's vehicles from the repuesto next door. Fun times!

At least the music is mostly good.
Believe it or not I've actually seen them rip speakers out of cars and cut the wires in the center or town.
A little shrewd in my opinion however very effective.

Yolatengo

Apr 15, 2020
Had an escalating noise problem last year here in a small community environment.
A few people had contacted police on a number of occasions, problem persisted.
Recorded dates and times of the occurences...from mid-afternoon... to as late/early as 5&6 am.
There are a number of apps you can download that have the date and time inscribed on the recording.
These are especially helpful.
A lawyer/neighbour was contacted and an appointment was made with a magistrado of Medio Ambiente.
Met at his office, third floor, Palacio de Justicia in Puerto Plata. The nature and extent of the problem was laid out to him.
A date is arranged for you/yourselves to meet in his office with the named offender.
The more of you lodging the complaint, the better. You all don't have to go to his office, but signed accounts from the others are acceptable.
A notice of the arranged meeting is given to an alguacil to deliver to the offending party at their address, that you provided. (Costs are involved for these procedures)
Both parties meet at the determined time to try and resolve the issue with the magistrado.
The magistrado will oversee and direct this meeting. Any resolves or instructions to the offending party will be drawn up and signed.
Should the problem persist....repeat the process...!
A second meeting and a set of instructions/consequences were written up and signed by the second party.
And many months later...Peace in the valley!
Bueno Suerte!

Reactions: Man?el

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Rule #1. Do not make enemies.. but...

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Believe it or not I've actually seen them rip speakers out of cars and cut the wires in the center or town.
A little shrewd in my opinion however very effective.

All the time. Amazing what a few complaints will accomplish.

Reactions: CristoRey

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Don't let them know your situation act like nothing bother you...
Get help from the policía the antiruidos, remember a gratification to uniformados is as a booster in low enforcement in DR.

JJ

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Presuming you are not Dominican, my advice would be to get a Dominican to help you fix this. When expats start giving money to police it's never a good situation. You need to speak to the most powerful local Dominican you know and take their advice, they will know who to speak to and how to get this fixed.