Laws regarding import of computer parts

PlantaFULL

New member
Oct 21, 2004
280
0
0
I recall that bringing computers and related parts such as printers, monitors etc are excempt from taxation when brought into the country.

Is this still correct, does it still apply?
Thanks for your answers

PS: I am aware there are many threads regarding this but I am interested in the law perspective, regardles of what Jose at the aduana might think about it.
 

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
PlantaFULL said:
PS: I am aware there are many threads regarding this but I am interested in the law perspective, regardles of what Jose at the aduana might think about it.
Yes, it is supposed to be exempt. But, the joke is, you'll pay what Jose at the aduana thinks about it... ;)
 

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
2,586
100
0
49
www.azconatechnologies.com
Not exempt anymore. Sales tax on computer parts was reinstated because of "aaaaallll the money the government is losing because of DR-CFTA".

Never really was exempt in the first place because of the exchange commission, and because of the duifficulty getting customs agents who cant even read to understand what a computer part is.
 

Eddyx

New member
Sep 9, 2005
124
0
0
PlantaFULL said:
I recall that bringing computers and related parts such as printers, monitors etc are excempt from taxation when brought into the country.

Is this still correct, does it still apply?
Thanks for your answers

PS: I am aware there are many threads regarding this but I am interested in the law perspective, regardles of what Jose at the aduana might think about it.
Since January first, computers and components are paying ITBIS (sales tax),16%.
 

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
7,951
28
0
www.caribbetech.com
Eddyx said:
Since January first, computers and components are paying ITBIS (sales tax),16%.
As for the previous 4 years, we've had a hard time getting an itemized bill out of our freight forwarder, I have no idea what we paid, and what not. I paid if it sounded reasonable, and if not, I told them to go back to the drawing board. It is really hard if we bring in stuff that we are entitled to at a 2 for 1 or something because we are resellers. The good thing is, we've changed freight forwarders and the overall 'hit' at aduana actually has decreased a little. We now get a completely incorrect itemized bill. We've never paid Itbis as a line item on computer parts or accessories, even since January 1st.

You're doing good if you average 11% - and that is what we averaged now over a few years. Yes, we've been through the process... complained bitterly one time, only to be assigned a 'luxury' tax of 100% on that shipment.

Like I said, you pay what Jose at the Aduana wants you to pay, with, or without DR-Cafta. I hope this is one of the things that will change with DR-Cafta, after the Government ate double duties and taxes for 6 months or a year, until implementation.