Lawsuit against COORAPLATA for bad service!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was aired today. COORAPLATA is going to be sued for bad service. The scarcity of water is worst than before and affecting the north coast, especially the Cabarete area.A German resident from Cabarete gave her take on the issue (representing the residents committee of Perla Marina.)

Video is in Spanish only.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Too bad the "moderator" prefers to hear himself and talks over her

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Wow if we start issuing writs for providing bad service, there's going to be a long list of writs to be issued. Anyone for Claro? Edeeste?

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wow if we start issuing writs for providing bad service, there's going to be a long list of writs to be issued. Anyone for Claro? Edeeste?
Accountability is lacking, but will legal action solve anything except to enrich lawyers pockets?

CORAAPPLATA is the worst offender in the Cabarete Sosua area at the moment. I say good for her for trying, but I have little faith she will cause much to happen.

Reactions: chico bill

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Until the various mayors are able and willing to put sustained political pressure on Coraplata to provide at least a reliable basic service level to all homes in their jurisdiction, nothing will change. It is just too easy to keep the abysmal service level where it is and Coraplata seems able to get away with doing that. A significant fix for the current issues requires major infrastructure improvements and enhancements. A few new wells being drilled will have a negligible impact but does erroneously make it appear that the utility is working to make improvements. Delivery of water to everyone all the time is just something that Coraplata is incapable of doing due to the cost and the lack of an effective and sustainable delivery infrastructure. I am sure the availability of an abundant water source is also a consideration.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a slight difference between bad service and NO service. When NO water at all is provided and you still have to pay for that and cannot even cancel the contract to not pay for the total lack of any water.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There is a slight difference between bad service and NO service. When NO water at all is provided and you still have to pay for that and cannot even cancel the contract to not pay for the total lack of any water.

Windy, you or someone else has said that before. I don't understand how it can be enforced. Can you elaborate?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I certainly don't know all the facts here but what I don't understand is that Coraaplata treats customers this way, even though Perla Marina and I assume all the other affected areas as well contain customers who would be happy to pay for exactly the water that is consumed... So it would be basically secure income for Coraaplata as long as they'd also provide a secure service... I'm positive that they are sending lots of water to many locations on the North Coast where people pay hardly anything (if they pay) or pay fixed rates with broken pipes and huge amounts of wasted water...

We are in a gated community in POP and since the new administration, we have zero problems with water but also only pay fixed rates as there are no meters... I would be happy to pay for exactly what we consume but due to Coraaplata, that's simply not possible for us... So this is just one more thing which business-wise makes absolutely zero sense...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I certainly don't know all the facts here but what I don't understand is that Coraaplata treats customers this way...
Is there another water company in Puerto Plata province?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I get your point fully but my point was that if they provided service, I'd imagine they'd also be able to charge more (as per consumption)? May be this I'm thinking wrong here...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Accountability is lacking, but will legal action solve anything except to enrich lawyers pockets?

CORAAPPLATA is the worst offender in the Cabarete Sosua area at the moment. I say good for her for trying, but I have little faith she will cause much to happen.
And if it is like any other case here, the lawyers will drag it out until they have bled every last penny, then the case will be dropped

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I get your point fully but my point was that if they provided service, I'd imagine they'd also be able to charge more (as per consumption)? May be this I'm thinking wrong here...
In most places another water company would lead to competion and that leads to lower prices......and now IF a large company had superior and real customer sevice, they would own the water business in the DR...........

Reactions: melphis

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, you or someone else has said that before. I don't understand how it can be enforced. Can you elaborate?
CORAAPPLATA is a government run "company" Even if you have a well and don't use CORAAPPLATA to provide you with water, you have to pay CORAAPPLATA a monthly fee for that. Try to cancel and existing contract and it is not possible. If you don't pay the charges will just accrue and most likely end up causing a lien on your property.

For NALS who asked if there was another water company on the North Coast, just the ones that deliver water. The former head of CORAAPPLATA used to have a water delivery company, which sheds some light on why the situation is as bad as it has gotten. Corruption, apathy, no planning for the future, etc. etc etc.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
And if it is like any other case here, the lawyers will drag it out until they have bled every last penny, then the case will be dropped
Could take 10 years as one of ours did over land boundaries. We won and even being paid... lawyers sucked up all the money. But we won and own our land. Different case.
Years ago. Corraplata didn't provide water so we demanded they truck it in as stated in contract. They didn't si we stopped paying and had legal serve papers for breach of contract. They harassed and threatened to cut us off from something they did not supply. More legal papers filed and never saw them again.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This approach is designed to embarrass Brugal after all the accolades he has had. He is also a political animal and wont like bad press which he is getting now.
Maybe it will get results! After all in his own words :
"Oliver Nazario of CORAPLATA says he is not a magician in the face of water scarcity in Perla Marina Cabarete."

Ricardo Ripoll in Somos Pueblo TV interviews the representative of the neighborhood council of Perla Marina in Cabarete, who denounces that after many claims to CORAAPLATA for deficiency in the water service, they decided to take collective legal action against that institution.

Olly

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
CORAAPPLATA is a government run "company" Even if you have a well and don't use CORAAPPLATA to provide you with water, you have to pay CORAAPPLATA a monthly fee for that. Try to cancel and existing contract and it is not possible. If you don't pay the charges will just accrue and most likely end up causing a lien on your property.

For NALS who asked if there was another water company on the North Coast, just the ones that deliver water. The former head of CORAAPPLATA used to have a water delivery company, which sheds some light on why the situation is as bad as it has gotten. Corruption, apathy, no planning for the future, etc. etc etc.
Very true. As I mentioned, we are only using our well and CORAAPPLATA is still sending us monthly bills for over two years now despite the fact that we notified them that service was disconnected.

We also have a meter. We were being charged a flat rate unless we went over some arbitrary limit they set. I'm sure we will end up having to pay some portion of that bill or a lien will be placed on the condos.

Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.