Leaving DR to Western Canada

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
There were a few threads on similar discussions but they all seem to be closed. Hope this one lasts a bit longer. The 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine was set to expire May 21/21. Somehow with no announcement the date on the Canadian government website was removed but it still says the quarantine is mandatory.

The 2 airports in the west that are still available to international travellers are Vancouver and Calgary. There have been several articles and posts that you will be fined the $3000 if you refuse quarantine in BC but all recent media has said the Calgary police will not lay charges if you skip it there.

It seems very confusing. We are booking to get to Calgary and have asked our lawyers their opinion on refusing the quarantine. I will keep you posted on this thread if it can withstand a few days of mindless ranting from the gallery. If anyone has gone thru this or has first hand experience I would love to hear from you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Good luck. I would like to go to BC to visit my children and my mother but I will wait until the process is easier.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I will pass on our experience to you as it developes. It's still a couple a weeks away as we have a lot of loose ends ro tie up here.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
There were a few threads on similar discussions but they all seem to be closed. Hope this one lasts a bit longer. The 3 day mandatory hotel quarantine was set to expire May 21/21. Somehow with no announcement the date on the Canadian government website was removed but it still says the quarantine is mandatory.

The 2 airports in the west that are still available to international travellers are Vancouver and Calgary. There have been several articles and posts that you will be fined the $3000 if you refuse quarantine in BC but all recent media has said the Calgary police will not lay charges if you skip it there.

It seems very confusing. We are booking to get to Calgary and have asked our lawyers their opinion on refusing the quarantine. I will keep you posted on this thread if it can withstand a few days of mindless ranting from the gallery. If anyone has gone thru this or has first hand experience I would love to hear from you.
Your experience will be interesting info.
Are you flying YYC with American Airlines?

Obviously you are well informed on CAN mandatory quarantine and isolation.
A lawyer cannot give you information contrary to Canadian law.
The rules are clearly outlined.
Individual experiences may differ, maybe some people can get away with disobeying laws, or may be made to pay at a later time.
I don't like the rule but still would quarantine for three days, till the covid test results are in and then move home.

Best to you and keep us posted.

Keep in mind that US borders are still closed for normal travel.
gc.ca is waiting for 75% of the population to be inoculated.

"Canadian senior officials began to talk about options of how to open the border, which has been closed to non-essential travel since March 21, 2020.
“In the end, it’s a political decision,
Canadian Prime Miniter Justin Trudeau on Tuesday, May 11, seemed guardedly optimistic for the future, when he told Canadian media that “there is hope” for a “slightly better summer,” according to a story from Travel Pulse Canada.
The continued sticking point? Vaccination.

Trudeau said he’d like to see travel restrictions between the two countries continue until at least 75% of Canadians have initiated vaccination, the story said. He added that he would like to see improved community transmission rates.

The CBC’s vaccination tracker reports that 43.23% of the country’s residents are vaccinated."

Read more here: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/coronavirus/article251425408.html#storylink=cpy May 18 2021

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Thank you for your best wishes. We have spoken to one of the quarantine hotels and they are just as confused as we are. Due to the sins of our relatives with similar names we will probably book a 3 day mandatory hotel. It just makes our life easier.

I don't like it but it's today's reality. Our cars have expired tags so the kids can't bring one of our cars and all that's left is a limo I bought 3 years ago and a H2 hummer (they still have dealer tags). It would be cheaper to buy a car than bring the hummer and the limo is kind of iffy.

I'm thinking staying here is less stressful lol. But after 8 months I really have to get back to Canada

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Thank you for your best wishes. We have spoken to one of the quarantine hotels and they are just as confused as we are. Due to the sins of our relatives with similar names we will probably book a 3 day mandatory hotel. It just makes our life easier.

I don't like it but it's today's reality. Our cars have expired tags so the kids can't bring one of our cars and all that's left is a limo I bought 3 years ago and a H2 hummer (they still have dealer tags). It would be cheaper to buy a car than bring the hummer and the limo is kind of iffy.

I'm thinking staying here is less stressful lol. But after 8 months I really have to get back to Canada

No one likes the situation.
Still, opting for the three days presents less head aches.
No sense running the head into the wall and fighting gc.ca

The direct flight to YYC is the most convenient option.
No border close by to walk across.
In YVR possible but still not in Alberta.

I know of people who returned from Mexico to YVR.
Quarantined 3 days- negative.
They were given a self examination kit- covid.
When home on camera had to call a nurse, who instructed self test.
A courier came to pick up the test.

All cumbersome at the moment.
We can only hope that later in the year those requirements will be removed.
I'll return to the DR in October, one way or the other.

Have a safe trip, enjoy cocktails and movies at the hotel.:)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We are still allowed 1.14 liters of alcohol per person so cocktails are covered. The federal governments opinion is that alcohol and cannabis are not essential so the hotel does not have to offer that service.

This is from a government that just legalized cannabis. I can't make this shit up. These guys need some basic business schooling.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Travel restrictions have been extended until the end of June.

Reactions: Michael DR