Leaving POP Airport: Strip Down

B

beeza

Was probably a tip off to the DNCD. Or as least someone matching the OP's description. A few years ago, on a Condor flight to Germany, an elderly Dutchman was arrested at POP with a few K's of cocaine sewn into the liner of his carry on. He was probably paid a handsome amount to carry it and was probably tipped off to the authorities.

Once they made a bust, that's probably it for the day. Chances are, someone with a far larger load went through undetected.

I'm pretty sure that Dutch guy is rotting in a jail somewhere.

U

USA DOC

...most of the scanning machines used at airports now are mostly in black and white...the cocaine and other drugs show in a different color......hide the drugs as tricky as you can the machine finds them...….Doc.....

C

chico bill

A regular bag of Santo Domingo coffee in Duty Free was 400 pesos! I pay 200 in Janet's. I buy Induban Gourmet in Janet's for 300 pesos. In Duty Free it was 650 pesos!

Total rip off on rums and coffee in Duty Free. Only some things are a good deal.
But for 200 pesos extra you get to keep your pants on. If you are an exhibitionist OK, but it costs more than 200 for me to be a stripper

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

S

sosuamatt

On the scanners coffee shows up as an organic substance packaged the right size to possibly be drugs. I and my wife have both been pulled in pre flight to have luggage searched over the years.

S

slowmo

But for 200 pesos extra you get to keep your pants on. If you are an exhibitionist OK, but it costs more than 200 for me to be a stripper

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

How much more? He is probably taking more than 1 package so the price can go up bigly.

L

ljmesg

Anything from the DR is a total rip off in Duty Free. Some rums are 2 or 3 times the price you pay in any supermarket or liquor store in the DR. And this goes for the Duty Free in Miami also. Same company, same prices.
Correct! It is not duty free its additional duty[emoji1787]

L

ljmesg

Hi - just left POP to go back to NY after a good visit to Sosua.
First time ever as I went thru security I was asked for my Passport and brought into a back room.
Of course - as I see all the time in the airport I watched the guy fumble going thru 25 different keys to try to open the door...and once inside he did the same as he tried to lock the door. Once in the back room and after trying to lock us in (he couldn't figure out how to lock the door) he told me to remove my clothes. Pull off shirt...pull down pants (of course it was hot and I had no underwear on). So pretty much naked in the back room. Now, I am not shy and have no problems showing anyone my naked body but I felt somewhat violated in some small way. Is this a common practice that I have missed in prior visits?

Just curious...
Oh, and this never happened.

C

cavok

Bought some Crown Royal today at Janet's - $18.27 USD(959 pesos). $23 USD in Duty Free.

R

Russell

A couple of years ago I packed 16 vacuum packs of Ibuban coffee in my carry on.
Talk about ignorant and innocence .... How would I know cocaine is smuggled in Coffee to ward off the dogs.
Anyway, he nice customs Lady called me over to inquire the cache... ''Coffee, of course , its written right on the packages''
She then took three packages at random and opened them.. ''coffee of course''. I was then allowed to board with 13 packages.
However when I reached Newark NJ... it was a different story..... not polite agents .... I was told to stand down ... then sit on a chair... then the Supervisor came and I tried to explain .... stand down (with hand on firearm... not drawn.)
They opened three packages (must be a standard for Dominican coffee).
I was allowed to go on to Halifax.... At Canadian Customs I was asked to explain what I spent $90.00 on.... 16 Vacuum paks of coffee and some other ship.
""Good Coffee?'' the best, says I.''
Did not know 'mules' were older people like me. Not exclusive of course.
Canadian Customs says ''Welcome Home Sir'' and that was it!
I made it home with my 10 pack ages of coffee ....... would have been cheaper at POP Duty free.
Loblaws and Sobeys now sell Santo Domingo Coffee;
Still the best dang coffee I have ever drank.
Russell

C

Cdn_Gringo

As a bit of background trivia:

Whoever thought of using ground coffee to mask the smell of drugs was certainly using their little gray cells, but alas they were just wrong.

Not all breeds of dog make for great scent detection tools. As with people some are better suited for the task than others. With any breed that is biologically up to the job, some individuals are better than others. Just like people (sculptors, singers etc).

The sniffer dogs are more than capable of easily breaking complex scents down into their constituent parts. Much like the keen ability of some sharks to differentiate highly diluted traces of blood in sea water. Different dogs are usually used to detect different materials to keep the dogs focused on specific goals. Some alert for food, others to drugs, money, explosives etc.

While a creative way to try and pull a fast one, unfortunately, it was a idea that did not take into account the actual abilities of the dogs they were trying to fool. If one wishes to attempt to avoid detection by a well trained dog, the approach that one needs to employ involves a very strong odor(s) that is extremely irritating to the point of being painful. The problem here is that such scents (usually chemical in origin) of sufficient strength to put the dog off can usually be detected by the person holding the leash. A strong adverse reaction from the dog will almost certainly send that bag or box off for a secondary screening by a person or machine.

The operators of the airport scanners are hitting on the bags of coffee because they look suspicious - size and shape and there is usually more than just one similar item in the bag. The more complex scanners can also alert the operator to the fact that the suspicious brick shaped packages contain an organic compound such as Pot. Cocaine is not an organic compound but powders do show up on the scanner screens with an easily identifiable optical density and appearance for those trained to spot it.

M

malko

I literally carry kilos of coffee from the dr back to europe, twice a year.
Customs and co never seem to have a problem with it.
They do however seem to have lots of other issues with me, but the coffee always makes it through unscathed. ( well except once when a grouchy US custom lady pierced everything in my bag with a metal object----------i had riled her quite a bit though ;) ).

I have faith that in 2019 a) modern equipment can differentiate between coffee and cocaine and b) a sniffer dog worth its name can too.

W

william webster

Dog Sniffing
Dogs may have individual skills......so do people

In WW2, my father applied to the air force but was refused = color blind
Later in the war - the air force was actively seeking color blind people for flying recon missions.

Seems a few people - fearing rejection - got a cheat sheet on the color exam and snuck into the RCAF

As they were flying over Europe looking for targets....
The color blind boys would alert them to the hidden targets -
Right there , you guys blind !!??

Color blind people see texture - not colors- the camouflage was a give-away for them - lead pipe cinch
They saw it every time....
The normal vision boys - nope.

There's some trivia for you - from my old Dad

Lt JBWebster, RHLI
Captured at Dieppe - one of the lucky ones..... thousands killed

B

buggabagang

How did my question about stripping at the airport turn into a coffee bean conversation?

C

Cdn_Gringo

You were flagged for special treatment and we'll never know why. Sucked to be you that day. Not much else to say on that specific subject, so the conversation meandered to a more common shared experience.

Enhanced searches, medical imagining occur in airports all over the world everyday. Unless you are involved, you'll never know they are occurring. You are not the first in the DR and you won't be the last.

W

william webster

How did my question about stripping at the airport turn into a coffee bean conversation?

What gets people pulled over ???

Coffee is one example - say plenty of people here

Nobody has volunteered the needle marked arms yet

F

flyinroom

Should have bought the coffee in the Duty Free shop.
I like to shop in the Duty Free shop

Which goes to prove that there is a Seinfeld episode for almost every situation.
Geez...
For a show about nothing, they sure covered all the bases.
Still funny after all these years.

F

flyinroom

Hi - just left POP to go back to NY after a good visit to Sosua.
First time ever as I went thru security I was asked for my Passport and brought into a back room.
Of course - as I see all the time in the airport I watched the guy fumble going thru 25 different keys to try to open the door...and once inside he did the same as he tried to lock the door. Once in the back room and after trying to lock us in (he couldn't figure out how to lock the door) he told me to remove my clothes. Pull off shirt...pull down pants (of course it was hot and I had no underwear on). So pretty much naked in the back room. Now, I am not shy and have no problems showing anyone my naked body but I felt somewhat violated in some small way. Is this a common practice that I have missed in prior visits?

Just curious...

The guy told you to pull down your pants.
He had no way to know that you were going commando.
Imagine his surprise when he turned around and found your junk all up in his face.
You say that you felt somewhat violated...?
lol.
I'd bet you weren't the only one feeling little violated that day.

Next time?
Wear underpants and make sure they're clean in case you get in an accident on the way to the airport.

C

Celt202

And That is the moment when you tell them that you " Identify" as a Woman and you want another Woman in the Room...
if you gonna get violated, might as well flip it on them a little bit .

tenor.gif